SsangYong Rexton.

jae4jesus, Oct 4, 5:15am
opinions please :) looking for a good tow wagon to pull a triple horse float. :)

pros and cons would be helpful. thank you

intrade, Oct 4, 5:35am
i am looking for one also but i want a manual and non commonrail they do exist but are extreemly rear to come by it seems
rest of the problem is the commonrail and automatic transmission, there is hardly any scanner i know off whom can do much to diagnose. they will fail just like any other commonrail diesel and if you ignore the problems whom you would only pick up with a capable scan-tool and knowing that the injected ammounts are wrong etc. it will cost a fortune to repair with needing a 20 ton press to extract worn injectors and then the repairs. that goes for any modern diesel not just ssangyoung

the pros are the commonrail will have enough power
transmission wise i dont know how rugged they are they are more of a offroader towing trailers up steep drive ways with low range gearboxes.
that is why i am looking for one of the early manual ones with no electronic crap.

intrade, Oct 4, 5:44am
this is the rexton i am after unfortunatly i need to find one here as they are not even euro 3 emission and we can only import-register euro-4 diesel since years now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ssangyong-Rexton-2-9TD-RX-290-SE-7-Seat-/171942598511?hash=item280893d76f

sr2, Oct 4, 11:46am
As much as intrade makes a valid contribution to this MB (particularly as the pre-war European diesel authority) the majority of us regulars do consider him (be it with some affection) to be something of an automotive Luddite.

tamarillo, Oct 5, 4:34am
Cons.
Very ugly.
Poorly made.
Pros.
?

bigfatmat1, Oct 5, 5:43am
why are they poorly made? What are the issues you find with the manufacturing or the design process of the Rexton?

bigfatmat1, Oct 5, 5:52am
You do not need a 20T press to remove injectors. You take the rocker cover off if they are stuck then you use the injector removal tool. Takes a few min each injector. Unless you snap one. The tool has parts for snapped injectors as well to complete job without removal of head. There is 3 oem scantools available for ssangyong that I know of.

msigg, Oct 5, 6:09am
Yea I'm with tamarillo on this too, poor quality vehicle.

cagivachick1, Oct 5, 6:11am
i was talking to a guy who's father has one yesterday, apart from being fugly its not given any problems

bigfatmat1, Oct 5, 7:04am
still interested in why people think they are poor quality?

poppy62, Oct 5, 7:19am
I'm with Bigmat on this! had one for longtime, pretty rugged massive chassis well appointed, rode nicely, not bad fuel consumption, handled well on the road, reliable, well assembled and comfortable. Would want the Turbo Diesel 2.9L or 3.2V6. and they're Korean army issue. The cons "may be" weak 3rd syncho, poor handbrake assembly and the front hub thrust washers wear meaning constant adjustment/checks for WOF. At 1/2 the price of a Toyota they're great value.

tamarillo, Oct 5, 7:24am
Tested on for couple hours few years back. Actually impressed me with the drive, old style but felt good. But fittings were just generations old, switch gear, plastics, bits and bobs under bonnet, all inferior. Might be perfectly reliable but to me if the things I touch and feel are poor I don't hold out hope for mechanicals. But I've not owned one or known of an unreliable one so maybe first impressions don't count. Maybe.

poppy62, Oct 5, 7:38am
"Old style" then you'll be throughly disappointed in the Jeep. Haven't most vehicles got plastic bits and bobs everywhere from front to rear plastic bumpers!

bigfatmat1, Oct 5, 8:25am
Yes they do He may have a point if it was 2008 but since then korean interiors have come along way ie hyundai and kia no where near as bad as they use to i would rate the interiors against the aussie built vehicles ie ford and holden. not as refined as most european or japanese interiors

tamarillo, Mar 24, 1:30am
Drove aJeep Wrangler diesel about 4-5 yrs ago, and yes, it was far worse to drive.
Comment was that plastics were of inferior quality.
Probably true that they have gotten much better very quickly and new ones are probably much better, though For some reason I thought op was looking at older ones.