New Ute

Page 1 / 2
skipdog, Aug 19, 9:05pm
So I'm in the market for a new ute. Looking for a standard mid spec doublecab wellside, likely 4wd. I know theres plenty of choose out there at the moment. Rangers look great (but getting up there in $$), BT50 well priced but not as handsome as Ranger, new Triton very well priced but also a tad funny looking, new Navara looks very slick, Amarok nice but expensive, Colorado looks alright, wouldn't consider current Hilux but new Hilux may be a goer, but picking to be expensive. After peoples advice opinions who have recently purchased new and if they are happy with their new ute, what they've got. Or what they would get differently next time. Cheers

justwotever, Aug 19, 10:13pm
Bought new holden colorado a month ago rides well bit of engine noise get a auto much better than manual

gman35, Aug 19, 10:18pm
"Bit of engine noise" ?
The ones I hear when they are just idling would embarrass a Kenworth truck !

bwg11, Aug 19, 10:30pm
Think the only consensus of opinion you will find on this board is go for an auto. The manuals with the narrow power-band of the common rail diesels, are just hard work around town and the dual-mass flywheels don't appear to stand up to much abuse.

tintop, Aug 19, 10:39pm
Look at a Foton

Get 2 for the price of 1 Hilux.

horses7, Aug 19, 11:01pm
Love our BT50 Auto,just added a few little extras and it looks great

gman35, Aug 19, 11:56pm
you changed the whole front end and the tail lights ?
Sorry, being cheeky there. I am a "Mazda man" as their cars drive (and now look) great, but the designer dropped the ball with that ute.

golfdiver, Aug 20, 12:24am
It seems that all of the modern common rail utes have more than their share of issues. I have had Holdens for the last couple and like the look of the Ranger as well. A mate in Australia has a fleet of them and thinks they are junk and will change away as soon as their lease deal expires. I'm considering D-Max next time or the Amarok. As above, we have a Mazda CX7 sport for a car but the Ute design is a step too far for us.

brocyboy, Aug 20, 12:37am
Dmax excellent ute for the money

lk104, Aug 20, 12:38am
There's a reason why they are so cheap.

3tomany, Aug 20, 12:57am
ranger is in runnout so is bt50 so price should be good we have two rangers now they are awesome trucks. We have a manual and an auto, would recommend auto as the better drive.

brapbrap8, Aug 20, 1:09am
New Triton looks to be one of the best utes out there, a lot better to drive than the new Navara, Colorado or Dmax and cheap too.

bryshaw, Aug 20, 1:16am
Before I buy a vehicle I do a week's online research. It does pay off in the long run.

justwotever, Aug 20, 2:19am
Bought Colorado for power 500nm to tow 7 meter boat awesome power

skipdog, Aug 20, 2:53am
Thanks for the feed back guys, keep it coming. Can anyone confirm if the dmax has a new engine coming out in there trucks? I seem to recall reading somewhere that they do. Brapbrap, you don't like the new Navara?

berg, Aug 20, 2:55am
Currently thrashing a 3ltr Colorado (people who know me here will know the treatment it gets) and with 101,000kms on it I'm happy to say it has been totally bulletproof.
If I was looking for myself I would seriously consider the d-max

brapbrap8, Aug 20, 3:59am
Haven't tested it myself, but talked to a few companies I deal with who tested them for their fleets and they all hated them.
Fancy to look at, but rubbish to drive, noisy engine and very pricy.
The reviews agree as well.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2015-nissan-navara-mitsubishi-triton-and-vw-amarok-review-33199#.VYgiQH3LfMI

vivac, Aug 20, 4:28am
I like the look of the DMax too, but its a Colorado underneath with a worse engine.
I have seen a video review of all the end of 2014 utes posted on here before and it basically said, ranger, bt50 or Colorado, everything else is missing something vital, this wont have taken into account the new release hilux or navara though as they weren't out yet.
Might pay to wait 6 months until the verdict is in on what is the top of the heap with all the new releases.

timbo69, Aug 20, 4:30am
Only consider the ranger /bt50 or Colorado the rest are trash or expensive for what u get, get auto if you tow lots. Ranger close to face lift.

gman35, Aug 20, 5:33am
I have done a couple of posts here myself, but Geez there's nothing like a "UTE" thread to get the motoring board going nowadays. It's the same at any ChCh pub on a Fri night, you would think the guys would talk at some stage about something interesting like a HSV model / something Euro and sporty , or even an exotic supercar they saw on the TV somewhere.
Nope, it's just "Saw one of those new XYZ ute's today, not a bad truck guys". Any automotive discussion starts and finishes only on bloody Ute's these days. Even an SUV discussion would be a nice change.
Is there hope for any talk over "exciting or dream cars" again ?

brapbrap8, Aug 20, 6:34am
New Dmax has a 2.5 twin turbo diesel with 400NM, at least in the UK.
http://isuzu.co.uk/isuzu-technology/emtwinem-turbo/
Haven't seen anything about it in NZ yet though.

survivalkiwi, Aug 20, 6:37am
This is what I have learnt on here over the last few years about new utes.
Great wall. It will be broken before you pick it up.
Triton. It will break down on the way home.
Ranger You will wish you bought a colerado
Colerado. It will drop all its oil and you will wish you bought a ranger.
Isuzu You may as well buy a colorado.
Amerok Is only for people who live in Auckland.
Bt 50 Everyone will laugh at your funny looking truck
Sangyong. You must be a nutter to buy one of these.
Hilux. You have way to much money and want to be Barry Crump.
Nissan Navara. You must be a poof.

brapbrap8, Aug 20, 6:43am
Having had over half of those, I am starting to think that my next ute will be a 70 series Cruiser. Everything else is getting too family focused and soft.

3tomany, Aug 20, 6:48am
those power and torque ratings for the ssangyong are cringe worthy

3tomany, Aug 20, 6:49am
LOL well thought out