Nissan Pathfinder: Pros & Cons

Page 1 / 2
bannylou, Nov 29, 5:00am
We're considering buying a used Nissan Pathfinder as need a vehicle to tow a caravan and need 7 seats. What are the pros and cons of these? Thanks

seadubya, Nov 29, 5:31am
Auto and rust are their Achilles heel, everything else is damn near bulletproof. (No problems with my auto and it has over 300,000 on the clock, but I only tow 2-3 tonnes of firewood out of the bush 5 or 6 times a year)

a.woodrow, Nov 29, 6:06am
What year? The other comments are only really applicable to the early pathfinders that were also badged as terrano's. The later model pathfinder are a great truck.

mrcat1, Nov 29, 6:18am
See if you can get a 550 Pathfinder, there are a few lurking around over here.

tamarillo, Nov 29, 6:19am
The pathfinder had conventional auto box, not the cvt of Murano etc which are not good tow buddies.
There's a recall on them relating to water getting in to trans fluid at radiator, or some such, may be worth googling. Once it's been on road a while you'd think it would be okay, and maybe check the problem area. Everything has a weak spot though.

monaro17, Nov 29, 6:36am
Good vehicles. Search around and get a good one- TI spec if you can with the 450Nm diesel engine. The first few posters are getting confused with the 5 seat only older versions of Terrano/pathfinder (which incidentally are also very good cars)

mrcat1, Nov 29, 6:38am
Or the 550 variant if you can find one are very good for towing as well.

bannylou, Nov 29, 6:41am
We're looking at 2005 - 2008, all with at least 150K on the clock. I believe a common problem in high kms is the injectors going on them

a.woodrow, Nov 29, 6:46am
Can't say I have seen that problem (I work for a Nissan dealer) They are generally pretty good trucks. Only issue that comes to mind is that door handles are a little weak and can break (Easily replaced but a little expensive) Make sure you have some service history - I would steer clear of a neglected one.

bannylou, Nov 29, 6:48am
We are looking at Diesel. Thanks re clarifying confusion : )

bannylou, Nov 29, 6:51am
That's great, thank you! Do you think this would be a good vehicle to tow a 17ft Liteweight caravan? We also need a 7 seater

monaro17, Nov 29, 6:55am
For that caravan/weight it will be absolutely fine. No troubles at all ! We had the older model terranos/pathfinders years back and towed caravans of similar size and weight with no issues at all.

So yes it will be ideal.

might I ask what budget you have? You may be able to get other good alternatives

a.woodrow, Nov 29, 6:57am
Yep it would be doing pretty much exactly what they are designed to do.

franc123, Nov 29, 7:00am
Much of the earlier comments with the exception of woodrows don't apply, what you are looking at is the R51 series which is very different to the R50 and D21 versions that went before, R51's are the SUV version of the D40 Navara, except with IRS and 7 spd auto so much of the same problems apply with the YD25 motors, particularly timing chain and injector issues. How well it starts cold and how noisy it is are good indicators of how worn it is generally, as is how smoky the exhaust is it is under load. Rear suspension needs thorough checking on high km model especially on those that have been offroad a lot or towed, there is a lot that can wear out and costs can mount up, any clunks or odd vibrations need to be investigated. As with all Nissans check all the electrics work proper and for any rust where it shouldn't be. like all similar vehicles they're a popular boat tower.

bannylou, Nov 29, 7:06am
We can't really spend over $20K, ideally only about $17K. I'd be keen to hear what other alternatives. I wondered about the Mitsubishi Outlander?

bannylou, Nov 29, 7:06am
Awesome advice here - thanks everyone, keep it coming!

monaro17, Nov 29, 7:41am
It depends on who is going to be using the 6th and 7th seats and how often. If quite often then you are going to need a Pathfinder or Prado etc. If the occupants are only small or not used for long periods then you could look at Ford Territory, Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorento.

But no, the outlander, presumably you are looking at the 4cylinder will be too small to tow that weight and while V6 version is better it still isn't ideal. (keep in mind the 4cylinder also has a CVT which is a no no for towing).

Out of the larger SUV's with those kms and budget the Pathfinder is probably the pick as the Toyota Prado continues to be the definition of 'over priced'. In the next size down the Ford Territory would be a good alternative but keep in mind they do use a bit more fuel than you may be used to- however they drive very well. The Hyundai Santa Fe is also good but those 6th/7th seats are a touch small.

So yes I think the Pathfinder is one of if not the best option for your needs

bwg11, Nov 29, 8:04am
OP, just in case you decide to raise your budget, be aware the 2012 R52 series is no longer a body on chassis truck, but is a unibody, sharing a platform with the Murano and others. I suspect (know) the earlier R51 would suit your purpose better.

survivalkiwi, Nov 29, 8:08am
The brother in law used to tow a lightweight 17 from chch to nelson and back with a mid 80s Honda accord. So I think the Nissan will be OK.

monaro17, Nov 29, 8:11am
Yes unfortunately that mentality of "car has towbar, car will tow" is all to prevalent in New Zealand. Years ago there was a guy who towed a 26ft Liteweight with a MK2 Triumph 2000.
Just because it has a towbar and the car moves it doesn't mean you should tow with it!

franc123, Nov 29, 8:26am
Especially so with some of these aftermarket towbars that aren't even that good for attaching a pushbike rack to due to tongue flex!. Last last time I reserved a tandem car transporter from a hire firm I got asked what would be towing it, to which I replied a Falcon ute with a Ford approved 2 ton bar, why? To be told "Oh we get people showing up with Lasers, Civics and Corollas to take them away". That was bloody alarming to say the least.

brapbrap8, Nov 29, 8:43am
The Mitsubishi equivalent is the Challenger, based on the Triton ute.
The Pathfinder would be the better vehicle of the two I think.
If you went for the Mitsi you would want the manual because the auto is thirsty and gutless as the engine is detuned compared to the manual.

seadubya, Nov 29, 8:46am
Very true, I made an assumption. Mines an R50, if the R51's are as good then it should be great.

mrcat1, Nov 29, 9:54am
The one that will eat all these others is a 550 version, but will most likely be well outside your budget, but would be one quick SUV.

survivalkiwi, Nov 29, 5:52pm
When I look back at what people towed and with what it was a wonder there were not more accidents.