They're back ! (soon)

Page 1 / 2
pge, Jun 25, 4:39am

tibby1947, Jun 25, 4:44am
Hope not - they had outstayed their welcome and become boring.

sr2, Jun 25, 4:52am
The most widely watched factual TV show ever, BBC's biggest grossing TV series, and by far the most successful car show ever made.

Give me more of Clarkson and the boys being boring please!

attitudedesignz, Jun 25, 4:54am
"With more than 350 million weekly viewers, ???Top Gear??? set the Guinness World record as the most watched factual TV program in the world."

sr2, Jun 25, 4:57am
And they coined the phrase of the decade, "that wasn't supposed to happen"!

cjohnw, Jun 25, 5:07am
Or: "what could possibly go wrong?"

So the new show will be only shown on Netflix?

trogedon, Jun 25, 5:34am
Semi factual more like.

sr2, Jun 25, 5:40am
You mean the Stig isn't real?

franc123, Jun 25, 5:44am
Opinionated more like, facts tended to creep in by accident.

attitudedesignz, Jun 25, 5:49am
What bits weren't?

cagivachick1, Jun 25, 7:10am
beats come dine with me or dancing with the has beens

gammelvind, Jun 25, 7:18am
Loved their escapades, yes I know they weren't totally accurate but seeing them crossing Africa or South America, Jeremy driving a Reliant Robin three wheels like a twit etc etc. it was all great slap stick humor and great for a laugh.

saxman99, Jun 25, 7:27am
Ahh. That's not gone well, if I'm honest.

muzz67, Jun 25, 7:56am
and "oh, cock"

whqqsh, Jun 25, 7:57am
thats my favourite for sure, especially the way he says it

tamarillo, Jun 25, 10:32am
Yeah whoop cool awesome etc etc

unclejake, Jun 25, 11:00am
LOL.

Factual?

Hahaha. It was often a great watch though. Don't get me wrong (shame the copy versions are so terrible). The Reliant Robin episode was hilarious. They must have had some clever writers and a huge budget

sr2, Jun 25, 11:37am
Yes the reliant Robin episode is still my all time favourite; Clarkson's arrival at the Reliant Car Club meeting was a classic!

My take on what made the show so phenomenally successful (apart from the classic British humour) is that they figured out when you get two or more petrol heads standing around an open bonnet the truth seldom gets in the way of a good story!

unclejake, Jun 25, 12:56pm
There's no denying the chemistry between those three. Hammond and May are moderately cringeworthy on their own, but Clarkson (love him or hate him) does seem to have the personality to go solo.

I was involved in the fringes of a NZ motoring show a few years ago, and at the time the NZ show had a budget of ~NZ$40k per episode, where the Top Gear budget was said to be GBP1m per episode. It's little wonder that few motoring shows ever held a candle to Top Gear. Clearly they have tried the same menu (3 dudes and some whacky challenges) with the AUS and USA versions. but they just don't have the same spark

I did enjoy the NZ motoring show with Dougal Stevenson and Chris Amon though, but that was a very long time ago so my judgement is probably flawed. I was also very young at the time! I can't recall its name. Amon has proper credibility (but perhaps not the most dynamic presentation style)

unclejake, Jun 25, 1:55pm
I had to Google the NZ motoring show. It was called (wait for it). the Motor Show.

I recall the brake test on the Suzuki Carry Van (?) as being a highlight (perhaps the only one).

brapbrap8, Jun 25, 10:22pm
I just subscribed to Netflix this month, so I'm sorted.
There are a few old seasons of Top Gear already on there, although watching them again makes me realise how rubbish some of it was!
Watched the 'snowbine harvester' episode couple of days ago, and it was interesting how they were aparently clearing a snowed in mountain road, yet there was a camera vehicle driving in front of them, and no doubt a proper snow plow in front of that!

Some of the challenges where they have to buy 2nd hand cars are quite entertaining, and trying to destroy a Hilux must be one of the best episodes ever.

elect70, Jun 26, 2:36am
Yep rather watchg the re runs for umteenth time than that , & suprise lots of females (except the feminiazis ) love TG too most realise its only entertainment & not to be taken seriously

elect70, Jun 26, 2:43am
Pity it will be on Netflix not worth getting it just for that maybe TV3 or Sky might buy it after its aired on subsciption Tv . Expensive for a sub service - no advertising to bring in the $$$

muzz67, Jun 26, 8:11am
Wasn't it the ute? stood on its nose!

unclejake, Jun 26, 1:42pm
In my memory it was a Suzuki Carry Van. I could be mistaken though, but they definitely stood it on its nose. more than once.

The Suzuki 413 utes were a different wee beast, and as IIRC were banned from somewhere (Australia and/or NZ?) due to their tendency to roll mid corner