Best van

tigertim20, Jun 12, 9:11am
thinking about getting a van in place of my ute.

any pro's / cons, suggestions o what to get or avoid? - budget will be fairly low - around 3-4k.

a brief look shows there is a bit more than I expected in this range - requirements are that I must be ale to fit a motorcycle in the back on the odd occaision.

intrade, Jun 12, 9:19am
old toyota 4 cilinder petrol townace-noha be what to find 2000 model so you get 1 year wofs if you can. your price range buys close to scrap value vehicles good ones are 6 to 10 grand these days.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 12, 9:20am
Mercedes Vito, not really anything else remotely as good (or safe) in that price range. Certainly any Japanese $4000 van will be an absolute pile by comparison, not to mention a death trap in even a low speed collision. You could try and pull the seats out of a Jap people mover to get around this, but it still won't be as good IMO.

tamarillo, Jun 12, 11:34am
Merc or keep ute, old forward control vans are death traps.

mugenb20b, Jun 12, 5:52pm
Only if you crash.

mugenb20b, Jun 12, 5:57pm
In that price range all I can say is avoid the diesels or any with rusty looking coolant. Maybe a '96 model Econovan or as Intrade suggested a Townace.

Personally, I'd keep the ute as it's more practical in my opinion and maybe get a trailer for bigger loads.

tamarillo, Jun 12, 8:29pm
True, but passive safety ain't much good on them either.
How about transit then , engines out front sort of, has a bonnet anyway. Or too big?

3tomany, Jun 12, 8:51pm
there is a lot of vans on TM in your price range. The problem you have is finding one that is still going to be reliable so watch out for signs of overheating and get the one you buy checked out by a trusted mechanic.

serf407, Jun 12, 9:22pm
What is the ute worth?
Could buy yourself trouble for $3-4K van.
Could put a lockable storage area on the ute and use a hitch carrier for the bike when required.
http://traxequipment.co.nz/Accessories (Slipstream)

tigertim20, Jun 13, 6:56am
the ute is probably 7k.

we have our first child on the way, so I want something with the ability to carry more than just 2 people comfortably, but also that I can tow the bike around with.

dont want a trailer as its another wof/reg, and I dont have anywhere to stick the thing.

had never heard of that merc thing, but it looks ok. might have to investigate that one a little further

tsjcf, Jun 13, 7:55am
what about a Holden crewman? They fit a bike on ok. Might be hard to get one in your price range is the only problem.

franc123, Jun 22, 2:27am
More like impossible, any example of one of those being offered for under $12k is suspicious and needs thoroughly checking out, 3k wouldn't even get you a crashed one. In fact any of them need good inspection, they were not problem free from new.