09 Hyundai better than any Holden or Ford?

gunhand, Jan 24, 5:41am
I was at a reptuable car yard today viewing some cars I'm taking a keen look at.
Anyway, I asked what else would be in the running for a nice comfortable quite open road car. He showed me an Hyundai Sonata. Hey, its a nice car to sit in I must admit and has all the features I am after, wife really liked it to.
Didn't drive it today but will do.
The guy was very good, no hard sell or pressure at all (best way to loose me, being pushy) and was more than helpfull.
But he really insisted this car was better than any Holden or Ford ( coon & commy).
I don't doubt him at all but are they really that good?
Not really on my list but curious for sure. now.

saxman99, Jan 24, 5:48am
Well, comparing them to a Holden or Ford isn't really setting the bar all that high.

tsjcf, Jan 24, 6:19am
Wife has an 08 Sonata Diesel. Nice to drive trouble free motoring etc.
Servicing was expensive at the Hyundai Dealer but more reasonable at local garage.

henderson_guy, Jan 24, 7:04am
Old man has a Sonata diesel as a company car. I'm a Holden fan myself, but hell, I'd own one.

monaro17, Jan 24, 7:06am
It depends on what you are expecting. I had a long stint in an 09 Sonata diesel, and although it was quiet, reasonably refined and good on fuel it just seemed very wooden and lifeless to drive and to be in. The cabin plastics felt even cheaper and nastier than my VE commodore! (also the stereo quality was absolutely awful.) The seats were also not that uncomfortable. Not a bad car but certainly not as accomplished in most areas that a late model falcon or commodore is.

Apparently its successor the I45 is a much much better car than the Sonata

grangies, Jan 24, 7:14am
I've worked on quite a few over the recent years and driven them on open roads for delivery . I reckon they're not "better", but just as good.

So in reality piles of crap lololol , but the price reflects that.

Can't really go wrong with any of them, as long as your expectations aren't too high.

And to be honest, if I had no other choice between the three, I'd go for a well looked after second hand Hyundai Sonata.

pf, Jan 24, 9:39am
rwd ? .

budgel, Jan 24, 8:49pm
I dont think so.

To me one of the major points of difference with Holden Commodores and Falcons is that they are rear wheel drive. If that doesnt matter to you, there are certainly many more cars to choose from, with better economy, fit and finish.

ceebee2, Jan 24, 9:42pm
I owned the 3.3L Sonata Elite for 3 years (2007) awesome car in almost every respect except towing economy. Towed my 18Ft tinny with ease.
14L / 100km round town and boat towing.
9.8L / 100km long distance / not towing.
Really comfotable and lots of extras that Ford / Honda and Holden do not have as standard.

clark20, Jan 24, 10:50pm
We had one at work and it was the biggest pile of poo, same year Commodore or Falcon much better. Some Hyundais are OK (Santa Fe) but old Sonata was terrible (came with a tape player! )

franc123, Jan 24, 11:51pm
Haven't had much to do with Sonatas but what I have seen of them does indicate why they aren't popular new, they are similar to Holden Epica in that there is bugger all reason to buy one over the offerings from Toyota, Honda and Nissan, they're just a bland Korean FWD car. Some cars simply don't have the X factor no matter how many toys get thrown in. I'm in no doubt they're good transport and do what they are intended to do very well.

franc123, Jan 24, 11:56pm
Funny I had a 2009 Kia Magentis (sp) in the shop just last week which is a similar sort of vehicle and it too had a tape player. Its real shock horror stuff when you see that in such late model vehicles.

3tomany, Jan 25, 12:45am
Holy crap that's thirsty if I was going to use that much petrol getting around the car would need to be a bit more exciting lol

bwg11, Jan 25, 6:41am
I think so too. From the dealers viewpoint, buyers will come into the yard looking for a Commodore or Falcon, but nobody comes into a yard looking for a Sonata.

pf, Jan 25, 7:16am
a must have for many people .

oakie, Jan 25, 6:52pm
Buy a BMW if you want a real car. Fords, Holdens, Hyundai's etc are simply not in the hunt.

gunhand, Jan 26, 5:07am
A real car? I always thought all the others were illusions, you have confirmed this for me.

delerium1, Jan 26, 10:21am
Not sure if troll or stupid

richardmayes, Jan 26, 6:12pm
Just a generic FWD V6 saloon car. Probably not as good as a Japanese one of similar age. Not really a car for anyone who is interested in cars.

BOUND to be screwed together better than an Australian car though.

brapbrap8, Jan 26, 8:41pm
The new Sonata looks pretty good, and according to reviews it must drive pretty well. Particularly the turbo model.

ema1, Jul 21, 4:55pm
Probably both & blind in one eye and can't see out the other.
Possibly even a cyclops I wouldn't wonder, with that mentality?