HQ Trans

pedro.b, Sep 26, 6:28pm
Hi all

I'm currently restoring a Holden HQ wagon and have a 350 to go in it, I'm looking around for a TH350 box to suit at the moment and wonder if anyone knows do I need a short or long tail shaft?

Cheers

differentthings, Sep 26, 6:35pm
That will depend on the length of your drive shaft that you have. The position of the G/B mount is the same on the long/short TH350 so any of the 2 will bolt in.

pedro.b, Sep 26, 8:55pm
Ok thanks. Originally had a 202 with a trimatic in it.

differentthings, Sep 26, 9:01pm
Been ages since I've done one of those, but from memory the it should bolt up to the original cross member, you will need a longer speedo cable,

petermcg, Sep 27, 3:47am
You can use either transmission in the HQ, but then it depends what diff you have, is it the banjo type (unbolts from front) or the salisbury (cover unbolts from rear) because all the driveshafts are different and you will probably need to get one cut to suit.

race_hemi, Sep 27, 3:57am
There should be a law against putting a slusher behind an 8.

attitudedesignz, Sep 27, 4:01am
Driveshaft out of a statesman that has 308 & TH350 will work.

BUT you'll need to be running a Salisbury diff' as the one tonners and stato's (long driveshafts) both have larger uni's than banjo (bango) diffs. Either 10 or 12 bolt.

May be bit hard to find bits now days BUT will end up being easier than getting stuff made in the long run.

ASLO keep an eye out for Q-J-X-Z Prem' V8 wagons as they should have the Salisbury and long shaft as well.

pedro.b, Sep 28, 7:01am
Thanks guys. Currently looking for a 10 bolt as well.

attitudedesignz, Sep 28, 7:22am
Don't bother with ten bolt mate.

12 bolt, Dana 60 or 9", especially if the 350 is going to be a stout one.

pedro.b, Sep 29, 4:16am
Ok thanks for the advise.

dave653, Oct 1, 10:38pm
I'm about to fit a VN Borg Warner in my HJ. Had all the brackets swapped, brake lines made, and rekitted the calipers. Was 3.08 ratio, fitting VL 3.45, 28 spline.

pedro.b, Oct 2, 10:06pm
Don't the VN's have a different wheel PCD?

attitudedesignz, Oct 3, 12:49am
Yep.

VN 5 x 120
HQ 5 x 120.65

I've never been comfortable putting commodore rims on early stuff. Yes the difference is pretty small BUT it may just be enough of a difference when things go t*ts up.

dave653, Feb 26, 4:16pm
Exactly why I had the stud pattern changed!