4.1 XF Falcon auto lost reverse,any ideas?

terry77.ta, Jun 5, 6:57am
Hi,my borg warner 35 auto behind a 4.1 XF Falcon engine has lost reverse & now seems to have lost park? & neutral? starts where N should be but seems 2 be in drive? will lock in park once turned off,weird! checkd linkage, seems to shift in & outta all gears ok,when put in reverse just revs but no movement & does sound like its under load, fluid level is good & clean. any clues? or take out & replace? any help or tips, thanx in advance.

petermcg, Jun 5, 7:08am
Sounds like its not in the transmission but could be your linkages.

terry77.ta, Jun 5, 7:22am
Na, checked linkages, took shifter rod off & moved selecter at box & seems to go2 every gear? trans does feel very hot after not 2 long a drive so maybe an internal prob?

differentthings, Jun 5, 7:40am
The diaphragm in the forward clutch pack has broken and jammed it on. (common fault). has to come out to fix it.

terry77.ta, Jun 5, 7:44am
Thanx, EZ to fix? hard? cost? any1 no? its not hard or expensive to sorce another box thats for sure. thanx 2 Ford makin 1000`s off em!

franc123, Jun 5, 7:54am
Well easy depends on how familiar you are with autos, once its out it's only involves partial disassembly of the front of the trans and removal of a couple of pipes underneath, and the actual change of the front clutch diaphragm. If it was otherwise shifting OK there is no need to touch the rest, though its a good idea to adjust the bands and give the kickdown cable a good lube or even renew it if it seems sticky, and of course do fluid and clean or replace the filter.

terry77.ta, Jun 5, 8:27am
thanx 4 the heads up franc123, na, not familiar at all with the internals, bit like surgery 2 me!. ill try google tube see if theres any vids on doin it otherwise ill just replace whole trans.i will ring trans shop thow & get quote about getting that done,see what option works out best. cheers

differentthings, Jun 5, 10:41pm
Depends on your budget. A trans shop will be around the 1-1.5g mark. A s/h one will be the cheapest way but then you don't know the condition of it unless it's still in the car and you can drive it first,

fordcrzy, Jun 6, 6:23am
Fix your one dont get a used trans. our xf s pac did exactly what you described so i got another trans but the gear ratios were all wrong and the speedo was wrong no matter what sender we used.

franc123, Jun 6, 6:46am
Impossible, all BW35/40/51 used identical ratios, and these were carried over into the BTR4 speed with the addition of the 0.68 overdrive, it would involve fitting of completely different geartrain to achieve that. The correct box for an F is the 40, the 51 is the early EA unit, not that it matters. If the original speedo transducer and its drive cog were fitted to the replacement trans it should have worked, its only measuring tailshaft speed and nothing else. What colour/tooth count of the cog fitted would be depends on what diff it had, the majority of 4.1 auto XF's used either 2.77 or 2.92 ratios, but all manual variants used different ones depending on whether they were 3, 4 or 5 speed, but of course by now many have been swapped into the wrong vehicles.

fordcrzy, Jun 6, 7:57am
We tried all 3 drives cant remember but i think it was something like 19 21 23 teeth or something. ours was an aussie assembled genuine s pac

franc123, Jun 6, 8:45am
Just dusted off the old shop manual, should have been 18, 19 or 21 depending on what diff it was optioned with. 23 was for the lowest 3.50 ratio which was only fitted to the 3 speed manuals, and generally with the 3.3 engine. I would expect it to be the 19.

xs1100, Jun 6, 9:05am
track down a guy called jandels out west last I heard absolute gem on automatics

snoopy221, Jun 6, 9:16am
Yip- kegend- rolls out of the race car workshop on bancroft-or was last time i seen im

xs1100, Jun 6, 9:40am
so hes still there with gary

terry77.ta, Jun 6, 9:17pm
thanx, how do I find jandels? ive searched members but no joy, is that his user name? any other info? cheers

terry77.ta, Jun 7, 2:51am
dam, got box off & cleaned tag to find it says 40 model, got a 35 model trans from a mate but its near 10cm shorter, trans cooling tubes are on opposite side & bell housing looks a little different too, pattern seems same, any1 know much on the 40 model trans? fordforum seemd to say only injected XF`s had them?

franc123, Jun 7, 3:15am
No they were common to all XF, 35 finished at XE. There was one minor internal difference with those fitted to EFI cars and the kickdown cable is different too IIRC.

xs1100, Jun 7, 7:51am
hahaha no jandels is a mechanic and is known as jandels his real name is mark and prob best to ask the automotive repair shops around kelston. very very good on ford and a top bloke

snoopy221, Jun 8, 11:04am
Nah bra dat damn jandal wearin westie is a legendary trans god there are 2 in nz dave lawson eastern autos and damn jandels out west lol dave maybe 2k jandls meh 3fiddy.

catwoman1974, Jul 12, 1:17am
Broken rubber band