Bad habits that get up your nose!

Page 1 / 3
2sheddies, Oct 5, 7:53am
A little harmless fun. It's been done before I'm sure, but what are the little (or big) things people do, habits they've got, your own pet hates etc that always make you cringe or have a bit of a chuckle? (automotively speaking of course!)

Ones I immediately think of.

People slamming the doors, bonnet or boot lid on my car! Hate it and it's so unnecessary.Only needs fingertip pressure to close doors if things are adjusted right. Creates rattles too.

Ones who open the door, and let the handle go, so it springs back down with a loud snap.

Putting their foot on the throttle when starting, so it gives a huge rev when it fires up. There's no need whatsoever to touch the throttle when starting a modern, injected car. You often see older people doing it, so maybe a habit left over from the old carby days.

Stickers all over the rear apron and windows.
Crooked number plates or mudflaps.
Rubbish strewn all over seats and floor.
Mismatched wheel covers

Whats yours.

brapbrap8, Oct 5, 7:56am
Towbars obscuring numberplates (surely can't be legal? ).
People who indicate right then left when going straight ahead at round-a-bouts, seems to be something older people do a lot.

gunhand, Oct 5, 7:57am
Yea, slammin doors annoys me lol. Also yanking on handles to open doors, especially when they are locked still.

seadubya, Oct 5, 7:59am
People who fail to keep left.
People who cross the centre line, especially around here with lots of blind corners.
People who fail to give way on one lane bridges.

westwyn, Oct 5, 8:01am
Drivers who "surge" the accelerator pedal, on-off-on-off-on-off. Taxi drivers appear to be worst at this IMHO. Drives me nuts!

kecal, Oct 5, 8:27am
drivers who pull out in front of me when on my motorbike, they seem to have the attitude - up yours iam bigger than you. tosser today driving a toyota land cruiser.

2sheddies, Oct 5, 8:33am
Agree. I could be wrong here, but I think they believe it saves fuel doing that. How they arrive at that conclusion I have no idea.

nzmax, Oct 5, 8:33am
Passengers who use the palm of their hand on the glass to close the door, especially when their hands are greasy. The greasy palm print is always the first thing your eye is drawn to when you look out the window at a corner.

Hate passengers putting their feet on the dashboard, especially when they have shoes on.

Petrol station attendants that sit the fuel cap on the bootlid then drag it across the bootlid to put it back on, even though there is a perfectly good cap holder on the inside of the fuel flap.

People that write messages in the dirt/dust on your car scratching the paint.

People that buy brand new cars and don't look after them. 6 months later and they have had more hits than Elvis.

When drivers are stopped in a lane of traffic behind other vehicles at a red light, then all of a sudden just accelerate then brake just as suddenly, when no other vehicle around them has moved and they can clearly see the lights are still red. I don't understand it, but it always gives me a chuckle.

People that put pens and junk on the ledge below the speedo so when it slides from side to side when cornering it scratches the clear cover over the speedo.

2sheddies, Oct 5, 8:40am
True. Like impatient passengers who are pulling on the handle while you're at the drivers door trying to unlock it. Them pulling at the handle messes the central locking up.

nzmax, Oct 5, 8:53am
When you get your car back from having something fixed/done to it and find every conceivable adjuster in your car has been played with, every driver seat position has been changed, inside and both door mirrors altered, radio station changed, heater controls etc, and its in to have something done that doesn't even require a roadtest, only needs to be driven into and backed out of a workshop. I can understand maybe the drivers seat being moved back or forward but as for everything else WTF.

brapbrap8, Oct 5, 8:57am
It does save fuel in most cars, people in hyper miling (fuel economy) competitions often do exactly that, speed up quickly then let the car gradually slow down.
Most people think that accelerating gently is better for economy but that is a myth.

brapbrap8, Oct 5, 8:59am
My missus does this, goes to move my ute around the driveway and spends ages adjusting the seat forward, lifting it up, then adjusting all the mirrors before backing across the driveway and parking it again.

skiff1, Oct 5, 9:01am
People who obsess about what other people do with their cars. If it's not your car, it's not your problem.

gsimpson, Oct 5, 9:02am
All cars I have had will open from the inside if the door is locked and certainly doesn't upset central locking. So I tend to be one of those people who try to open the door without getting drivers permission first.

skiff1, Oct 5, 9:02am
would you rather she didn't adjust the vehicle and just reversed into something?

carclan, Oct 5, 9:03am
We have a his and hers key so when which ever key has been used to unlock the car seat, climate control etc are where I programmed them to be

2sheddies, Oct 5, 9:06am
That would make me very suspicious that someone at that workshop has been using my car for their own private errands, or as a shop hack while in their possession.

carclan, Oct 5, 9:07am
What annoys me is not have my car clean inside and out, agree whole heartedly regarding people adjusting any and everything though, mitt prints on windows and the most cardinal sin of all is a dirty engine bay

2sheddies, Oct 5, 9:13am
It also bugs me getting the car back after a wof and all the belts are still clipped in.

Don't like it when people put an auto in 'Park' and don't bother to use the handbrake, instead letting the park pawl in the transmission hold it. not good.

brapbrap8, Oct 5, 9:19am
She still does that some how, even with everything adjusted right.

nzmax, Oct 5, 9:20am
Has happened a couple of times, noticed km's were unchanged on one occasion so cant have been, though makes me wonder if I got charged the labour for some snotty nose apprentice sitting in there playing with all the buttons, knobs and switches. Electric seats are so difficult to get back to somewhere close to where you had them.

carclan, Oct 5, 9:20am
+10

carclan, Oct 5, 9:22am
People that with be in gear or drive before the engine cranking motor has achieved firing speed, foot to the floor and off

bigfatmat1, Oct 5, 9:24am
or could be a simple mistake. Both mirrors down to back onto four post hoist. Turned heater down because they didn't like the tornado in their face. Turned radio down got wrong knob or had to disconnect power supply and couldn't remember your favorite station. Shifted seat because your legs are so short and stumpy. Went through contents of car because they thought by chance you had hidden your lockout somewhere. Had to remove glove box to replace cabin filter couldn't get contents all jammed in the same way you had them jammed in had to remove three ton of dirty smelly cap out of boot to check spare couldn't remember the exact order you put it in let alone catch a disease touching it for to long.

gmphil, Oct 5, 9:29am
well written !