Car dealers unwritten warranty

rodg.sue, Oct 29, 8:15am
Just wondering does anybody no about the length of time from purchase of a (not new) car thru a dealer that they are responsivle for issues with it? Tia

tony9, Oct 29, 8:32am
That would depend entirely on the dealer, the car, and the price paid. Ask the dealer.

From a legal perspective (CGA), it would be what a reasonable person would expect.

xs1100, Oct 29, 8:33am
so let us know what type of car,mileage,year fault,how long ago you brought it and any estimates of repair

mber2, Oct 29, 9:29am
2nd hand most only give about 3 mths or if they are a reputable dealer maybe 12 mths

tintop, Oct 29, 10:30am
The requirements of the CGA may extend longer than that depending on age and condition at time of purchase.

tgray, Oct 29, 6:37pm
Wrong.

kazbanz, Oct 29, 6:55pm
Im sorry that this is a rant.
The law as it stands is a total mess. There is NO set/fixed time period a vehicle is covered under the various consumer laws.
The Law instead indicates its for a time period that is "fair and reasonable" If the dealer feels that a fair and reasonable time/milage has elapsed but the buyer doesn't then off you trot to MVDT.
So in a nutshell NOTHING is set in stone.
You would think that common sense would prevail but it doesn't in a lot of cases.
MY suggestion to you would be to outline the age/milage of the vehicle ,The time the specific vehicle has been owned and the nature of the fault.

kazbanz, Oct 29, 6:56pm
That's not true LEGALLY.

jumpingstone, Oct 29, 7:07pm
I bought $15000 car, fresh import from Japan, and about 2 months later AC pump started to keep some grinding noise. I took it back to dealer, they gave me loan car and fixed my car. I was very surprised how easy and painless it was. Before I went to complain them, I was already prepared that them opinion there is nothing abnormal noise or they are blaming that I have broken it by myself.

tgray, Oct 29, 7:36pm
$15,000 car, two months later, yes, they were liable to fix it.
$5000 car, 12 months later, probably not.

tintop, Oct 29, 9:02pm
There really are far more 'good' guys in the automotive business than there are 'baddies' Its just that the bad ones get more bad press.

kazbanz, Oct 29, 9:07pm
but why not ? - surely a 20 year old car has a lifetime warranty on it. No matter what the owner does -or doesn't do with it.

martin11, Oct 29, 9:13pm
Get real you are just a stirring dreamer saying this .

rodg.sue, Oct 29, 9:52pm
K so iv had my car bout 4 months hav had it back to the dealer to fix cv joint and also a crack that appeared on the boot, now the engine light had cum on, hav had no hassles with the dealer hws been great but unsure of how long after purchase he liable, popped into garage on way to work this morning and its cuming up with fault/solinoid. Will contact dealer shortly and see wat he says. The mechsnic said might just need cleaned out or replaced? Thanks

kazbanz, Oct 29, 11:02pm
Dig out your dictionary and look up the word "sarcasm"

kazbanz, Oct 29, 11:09pm
What was the year,make,model of the car? what milage ? What price paid for the car?
If push came to shove the answers to the questions above would be a big deciding factor in the MVDT judges decision.

mopsy3, Oct 29, 11:10pm
We do a lot of work for a fairly big dealership that sell a lot of second hand cars. The after sales work that they agree to amazes us often. Some come back months and months after sale and the dealers just repair, sometimes we tell them that it is a wear and tear issue and they shouldn't bother but they still do. They didn't stretch to tyres that were obviously rotated too quickly in one spot for too long once, because buyer couldn't get a WOF - 6 months after sale!
Even some of our smaller dealers go above and beyond what would be deemed as reasonable and fair. Few are not so obliging even when they should be.
IMO, for what it's worth, 3 months is fair or 5,000km.

tgray, Oct 30, 2:12am
The only time I put my foot down and wasn't going to help a customer, was when I sold a $3,000 Mitsubishi chariot (15 years old) and after 6 months and 11,000k later, they came back and said unless I fix the puff of smoke at start up, they will take me to the disputes tribunal. Told me the engine must have a major fault or it wouldn't do that. (which it didn't).
Either that or a full refund!
Out of principle I said no, so they filed a claim and got a court date in the mail.
After a few sleepless nights and a fair bit of stress, I ended up buying it back for $2000 from them.
Even with a strong case, no one wants to go to court.
Footnote: I sold it to a Mechanic the following week for $2000 with full disclosure and he was happy to fix it himself.

kazbanz, Dec 16, 1:11am
toby-try 20 year old car 12 months,12000km paid under 3k. genuinely cant understand refusal to refund.