Car rego / acc levy

deb821, Jul 12, 2:19am
There has been recent publicity which I have missed about overcharging of acc portion, is this for past ones, or recent changes? I registered car about 5 was ago, would I have been overcharged? Are they refunding if they have? Help appreciated

deb821, Jul 12, 2:20am
Should read 5 weeks ago

biddy6, Jul 12, 2:23am
Yep, you were, 1st july or after became cheaper, and I dont think there are any refunds.

fast4motion, Jul 12, 2:27am
Depends when your old rego expired. If it was before July 1st, you would've paid the old higher amount. If it was on or after July 1st, and you paid early when you received a renewal notice, it should be at the cheaper rate.

tony9, Jul 12, 2:30am
Not really over charged, rather charged based on the law of the time.

Used to be that your ACC contribution had to be enough to cover future claims due to injury arising now. A pool of premiums has built up to cover that.

A year or so a go Govt changed the rules so that essentially premiums just have to cover claims made now.

So the premiums have dropped a lot as the pool is allowed to drop.

franc123, Jul 12, 3:19am
Two different issues, the first is that the levies were dropping across the board from July 1, if you licensed past that date at the old rate there is no refund, if you licensed from that date onwards and your vehicle has been banded incorrectly in a lower band than it should have been and therefore you paid more than you were supposed to then you will be refunded the difference.

deb821, Jul 13, 1:07am
I think it expired mid June and I renewed for 1 year
, would I have been overcharged, and do you know if they will refund.?

fast4motion, Jul 13, 1:37am
You would not have been overcharged. But you would have paid the more expensive older rate.
There was plenty of publicity, and your renewal notice would've included info on how to save money (by changing renewal date to July and benefitting from the new cheaper rates). So no refund.

franc123, Feb 13, 9:19am
No you won't be refunded. You should have only licensed up until July 1 if you wanted to avoid this. You can change license expiry dates to whatever you want it to be from one day to 15 months in advance using a MR whatever the number is form. As above this was well publicised in the media.