What do people think of the Hyundai H100?

cattleshed, Jan 17, 10:25am
My son is thinking of buying an H100. He would be looking for a van that has moderate kms and in good order but even so, would people recommend these vans? Why? Why not. Are there reliability issues? Every bit of information would be very valuable thanks. Are there manuals and autos and what are they like strength wise? Thanks.

cattleshed, Jan 17, 10:27am
Forgot to say 2003 model with just over 100 000km. Apart from getting a van that has been well looked after is it nevertheless a van to steer clear of in the first place? Thanks.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 10:33am
Aside from being a horrible van, chance of death or losing your legs in even an urban speed crash is very high. You just don't want to crash a cab forward van into a modern vehicle. It's the far to prevalent silent killer on our roads that no one talks about.

My advice would be to buy a Mercedes Vito (available from about 5K). More reliable, lower maintenance, nicer to drive, better on fuel and far safer in a crash.

franc123, Jan 17, 10:55am
You need to bear in mind its merely a Korean copy of a Mitsubishi L300 that dates from the mid 1980's, the diesel engines have a reputation if anything that is better than its Jap made ancestor, but these are way behind the recent turbo commonrail units used in more modern vans in terms of.power and economy. They are very disposable vehicles which by design have obvious safety compromises.

aredwood, Jan 17, 11:22am
Agree with Jazz, As long as the Vito is the older W638 model. (from 98 to sometime in 03). Newer one has way too much electronics in it. And some of the W638s have the commonrail diesel engine. Yet they don't have any emission control systems that fail causing expensive repairs. My one has a few minor issues. But it has done almost 280K so they are to be expected. The only time it has stranded me was caused by air leaking into the fuel line to the engine. Something that would have stranded almost any diesel van.

henderson_guy, Jan 17, 11:24am
A much better bet would be the Hyundai i-load, take one of them for a drive and I'm sure he will be sold.

skiff1, Jan 17, 12:02pm
I had a three of these in my business unit 10-12 years ago. God, they were horrible pieces of trash. The H1 is a thousand times better, as is pretty much any van with the exception of a Bedford or a 1982 Ford Transit.

catwoman1974, Jan 17, 12:51pm
Another name for Hyundai - high and dry

stevo2, Jan 17, 6:52pm
H 100 is old Mitsubishi based piece of crap . H1 is the newer series also known as iLoad (cargo) or iMax (passenger ). A brilliant vehicle.

mugenb20b, Jan 17, 7:38pm
They are pretty basic and cheaply made. Check when the cambelt's due and gear change operation when cold. Check for rust around the windscreen, pillars, etc. They are good when it comes to reliability and it's worth buying if the price is really good. The only thing I don't like about them is steering wheel position, too flat for my liking. a bit like driving a bus.

3tomany, Jan 17, 7:45pm
VV this jazz is correct

jmma, Jan 18, 12:54am
and you can sleep at nights knowing you are selling one of these so called death traps!
How can you say things like this and live with yourself?
And you expect people to take you seriously,
You are a Do as I say, Not as I do type aye.

franc123, Jan 18, 9:09am
I recall an American journo describe them as Hope You Understand Nothings Durable And Inexpensive.

sr2, Jan 18, 9:11am
Jeeze mate; you may be spending a little too much time on these forums!

gedo1, Jan 18, 6:52pm
Can any one supply figures for injuries and deaths as a direct consequence of being in a cab forward van involved in a road incident, please? So many claims and warnings suggest it is rather common. Thanks in anticipation.

fordcrzy, Jan 19, 5:53am
there will be no stats for this as there is no revenue stream dependant on it.

stevo2, Jan 19, 6:47am
I have owned and/or driven dozens of forward control vans and have never worried to much about the consequences up until recently.
My last van is an H1 (iLoad) and yes I do feel safer when behind the wheel.
I only know of one friend that had a bad accident in his old shape Hiace.
He hit a cow at open road speeds and suffered a broken ankle.
The other 6 or 7 in the van were unhurt.
Common sense is gunna tell you that up front isnt the safest place to be.

msigg, Jan 19, 9:26am
Horses for course's, depends what you can or want to spend.

cattleshed, Jan 19, 10:30am
Thanks a lot for all the helpful advise. Yes an iload would be great for him but too expensive so I am not sure where to steer him really as not keen on European. He is wanting to spend $5000 max.

skiff1, Jan 19, 11:22am
It's one of those situations I guess. You should know going in, there's stuff all of any type that's going to be good for $5000, and once he gets it, there's a good chance it will cost $$$ to jeep it running. The best bet is to avoid buying as long as u can

snoopy221, Jan 19, 12:30pm
03 and 100,000 is not too bad it's a twelve month warrant.
Higher mileage and age and tappet plastics die-age and mileage and [plastic] components.
Bottom line is exhaust gets more heat and tappet screws and plastic are about the same price as exhaust rockers-so replacement is essentially new rockers on exhaust and new screws and plastic on inlet.
Accidents are just that some fatal some not
Forward control vans are just that -built for a purpose

Gearbox layshaft bearings can die- but again age and mileage.
economy? mmm

If one could get in to a

My advice would be to buy a Mercedes Vito (available from about 5K). More reliable, lower maintenance, nicer to drive, better on fuel and far safer in a crash.

Then yeah.
We await jazz to post an auction for same at the RIGHT price.

cattleshed, Jan 19, 5:57pm
Sorry snoopy221 and or anyone who knows I don't understand what plastic tappets. Surely there couldn't be plastic tappets and plastic components in the engine could there? Yes someone else said a Vito. What year would that be? Aren't all Euro's totally unforgiving regarding maintenance? I read so much about what Jazz writes and it is scary stuff if he is right because if there has not been meticulous maintenance and all records. I don't know if it's paranoia, obsession or if there is truth in it. He slams all Jap vans but not his own Fiat he's selling so that kind of makes me suspicious. What is the safety rating for a Vito? I heard of a guy who paid $4000 for his injectors all to be replaced on his 01 Vito! Wow!

cattleshed, Aug 1, 11:54pm
I just looked on a site and it says there is a white plastic shim is that what is being referred to in an earlier post?