Toyota corona towing capacity?

aj254, Nov 19, 7:03am
Sorta 1993ish shape. Anyone know?

monaro17, Nov 19, 7:07am
1200kg braked 500kg un-braked. with appropriate tow bar

aj254, Nov 19, 7:47am
Yeah I thought this one looked like an accident waitng to happen, was towing one of those 1.5 or 1.8t hire diggers on a tandem trailer, shit there's some clueless people around.

mrfxit, Nov 19, 8:16am
Not a problem IF. the driver knows what they are doing.
Wasn't that uncommon for me to have over 1t on a single axle trailer behind a Vauxhall victor or Hillman Hunter or even a 78 Sunbird.

Granted tho, the average Joe Bloggs would easily screw that up with a tow truck never mind a domestic sedan

aj254, Nov 19, 8:28am
Well, 2 tonne behind an old car like that with the towbar damn near scraping the ground holding up a long line of traffic in a 100 kph area, doesn't seem like someone who knows what they're doing. I mean if they make it to where they're going then sweet, but you always do the "what if. "

franc123, Nov 19, 8:45am
Nope, if a given vehicle is clearly towing above its maximum weight they should be booked, especially if non factory approved towbars are fitted. Lol all those three cars could barely pull themselves along without putting a ton weight behind, especially the Sunburnt turd. Standing start to 90kph in what, 2 minutes at full throttle?

mrfxit, Nov 19, 9:57am
LOL Franc123, thats the same sort of rubbish comment ppl always say about 2.4t surfs but having owned 1 for 4 years & learned HOW to drive it properly, it was pretty good for an 88 model.
Often had upwards of 1.5t behind that & it kept up with the traffic ok.

stevo2, Nov 19, 4:37pm
Back in my apprenticeship days, I would regularly tow 2.5 tonne (unbraked tandem) behind a Morrie Minor ute. Couldnt be doing that nowadays.

monaro17, Nov 19, 6:17pm
I'm Impressed it actually moved that much weight. Could you get 30mph?

richardmayes, Nov 20, 2:45am
Towing big loads. not much power = not much speed = not much trouble. ?

When we moved from our flat in Wellington to our house in the Wairarapa, our little Ford Laser towed a non-trivial sized trailer load of tools, bikes and garden junk over the Rimutaka hill without problems, in the middle of the night.

DIDN'T run wide on any of the turns, DIDN'T get the tail wagging the dog on the motorway, DIDN'T cook the brakes on the downhill. (Didn't stay out of 1st gear for long on the big initial climb out of Upper Hutt past the water reservoirs. ! )

msigg, Oct 1, 6:23pm
yea your correct richardmayes and mrfixit, its all about getting there in the end, not about how fast you get there, Gone are the days where people use their initiative, unless it's factory,full proof don't go there, Yea right, this country and most others was built on using initiative. Brainwashed and can't think for one's self, call it now.