Trade Me is getting as bad as the old T&E

whqqsh, Oct 4, 5:35am
for idiots that want to check out the car you have for sale then not turning up, supposed to have one guy view Thursday afternoon (so I rushed home to be there in time) & 2 today. all no shows

curlcrown, Oct 4, 5:49am
That was your mistake, rushing home to see him instead of telling him to come when it suited you. You let him control the situation.

seadubya, Oct 4, 5:50am
Last time I sold a car I told potential viewer I would be in suburb/town X from this time to this time and suburb/town Y from this time to this time, when you get to X or Y give me a call and I will give you final directions. That way I got to carry on with my life and they came to view the car where I was. Worked out fine and weeded out the time wasters since they never called for directions. (Wouldn't work so well for no wof/reg vehicle)

whqqsh, Oct 4, 6:14am
the only rush was because (as Murphys law dictates) the only day for weeks I couldn't get away on time was THAT day

whqqsh, Oct 4, 6:17am
yup, a couple more rang & wanted an address to view but wouldn't give any time etc (sounded dodgy) so I said send me a text when you're ready to come around & I'll reply with the address (no blocked numbers then if you need to reply). & don't call around any other time as we have 2 big dogs with the run of the property. again no shows lol

trogedon, Oct 4, 6:22am
What a pita. From other posters it seems its becoming more common. At least there is feedback here to get an idea of the character of people. We're going to sell the trusty Nissan and I'm not looking forward to dealing with likely buyers.

2sheddies, Oct 4, 6:48am
Sadly, it seems to be the way modern society is going. People just do what they want now, and to hell if it inconveniences others in the process, because they only worry about themselves. The younger generations especially don't appear to have learnt the art of being courteous, trustworthy and keeping to your word. Doing what you say, when you say you're going to do it. Too much time with their head stuck in virtual reality/social media mode, they forget how the real world operates.

Or they just simply lack common sense and respect for others time and effort. The old days of dealing with reliable, honourable people, when a mans handshake was his word are long gone, and society is the poorer for it.

woodypc, Oct 4, 7:58am
I didn't have this problem when I sold my car, sold it to the first viewer on day one though. HOWEVER, I am self employed and people book there session and don't show, happens often enough, won't respond why trying contact them. I just put it down to what we have all known forever, that people are selfish and when it comes down to it they care for no one but themselves.

franc123, Oct 4, 8:25am
Yep, giving them a precise initial viewing window is the key I think, enough time to let them assess whether they want to conduct further checks or not but no more. Anyone who can keep to an appointment is far more likely to complete a trouble free transaction than someone that can't even organise their day to spend a brief time looking at a car.

dr.doolittle, Oct 4, 8:41am
In the days of the T&E I sold a Merc 350 SL that needed restoration.
Had lots of girls/ladies ringing wanting to know if it had a WOF. Obviously for the price it didnt!.
Anyway, had a guy said he'd take it. OK, price agreed & deal done, or so I thought. He never offered a deposit, gave no contact details & seemed a bit odd/shady. Never heard from him for a month.
In the mean time, had a genuine buyer & sold the car for 2K more.
I'st 'buyer' finally came back & spat tacks that I'd sold it.
He was such a dick i couldn't help myself from telling him I'd sold it for 2K less than his price because I hadnt heard from him.

I've always trusted my gut.
And the older I get, the more gut I have to trust.

trogedon, Oct 4, 8:45am
A guy(50s +) contacted me about doing some work for him. He was going to call over etc twice but didn't. He rang me a few weeks later to arrange another time. I told him that as he'd mucked me around twice I didn't want to deal with him. He apologised etc but I told him, politely, to find someone else. Boy, it felt good ;-) If you don't need the loot from the car, give them a small, definite window of time and if they don't show and contact you again - tell them no deal.

dr.doolittle, Oct 4, 8:45am
But really,honestly, dont you like Trade Me?

It's like having a T&E for free, every day!

kingfisher21, Oct 4, 8:46am
Also what about the idiots that advertise a car then don't bother answering phone calls, txt's or e-mails.

poppy62, Oct 4, 9:08am
Ahhhh! would that gut be from Doo'nlittle Dr?

carclan, Oct 5, 9:18am
Or want 20,000 plus for a car and then upload three foggy photographs

spottie, Oct 5, 11:23pm
Works both ways as well. I have arranged viewing of cars at certain times, always contact the seller to say I'm on my way, have been told several times sorry have sold the car. How hard is it to txt potential buyers that you know are from out of town and coming at a certain time that you have sold said car and not waste your gas and time.

elect70, Oct 6, 2:46am
Iwas lucky when i sold my disco ,guy hitch hiked from Wanganiu to Levin with the cash , bought it for full asking price & drove it away happy as a sand boy . Never had any problem with people not turning up at any car sale ive had even in the old T&E days . Even met 1 at Petone WMC & did the deal in the car park

sw20, Mar 21, 10:31am
Haven't had any no shows, just low ballers.

Called one out a few years back. Offered about $2k under my price and it wasn't an expensive car. CASH MATE! I said yep sweet bring the cash over now and drive it away it's yours, got some BS back about having to get the cash sorted etc might be a couple of days. What a knob.