Money where mouth is.

Page 1 / 2
kazbanz, Jul 24, 11:47pm
Kinda exciting from my pov.-Not motoring sorry guys.
Ive been training to become a Scuba instructor.(divemaster which is step 1 to instructor)
Much to the amusement of my kids it was back to school for dad.
The physical training meant being in the pool swimming lenths at 5.30am for the past few months. 2.0km every second day.
The theory required a lot of study over the past 3 months.
Then 2 weeks of testing ,reviewing and basicly pushing to see if I cracked.
Looks like they can teach an old dog new tricks.
Theory I got 100% in test 1 and 96% in test 2. The test was in American English so 2 wrong questions were down to interpretation of the phrase not lack of understanding of the material.
The physical tests I got 4's and 5s (out of 5)
Im pretty stoked actually.

poppy62, Jul 25, 12:22am
Good on you mate. Lifes all about comfort zones being pushed. Hope you all the success as a Divemaster "may the force be with you"

berg, Jul 25, 1:02am
Well done that man

melonhead1, Jul 25, 1:05am
Nice. Learning new things slows down/stops brain atrophy.

stevo2, Jul 25, 4:34am
Brilliant results Kaz, perhaps you can gather a feed of crayfish and scallops and we'll all come along and help ya celebrate.

kazbanz, Jul 25, 4:42am
Mate -ive been able to do that stuff for a few years now.
NOW I can have students go get the scalies and crays and bring em to me as part of their "training"

countrypete, Jul 25, 5:13am
Not bad for an "old b'stard" Kaz! I started training for that in about 1977 but didn't go past the advanced stage. been a long time out of the water.

kazbanz, Jul 25, 5:55am
pete--"have I got a deal for you" Ive been a rescue diver for a few years so I can take you out for a refresher dive--poor knight ?

neville48, Jul 25, 11:16am
question Kaz. do you know why skin divers roll backwards out of the boat ?

budgel, Jul 25, 11:30am
I have always thought it was to avoid banging off the facemask & snorkel.

But if it is a joke question, I dont know.

kazbanz, Jul 25, 8:38pm
By skin diver do ya mean scuba or snorkel?--either way its the easiest/least dangerous way.Very little risk of knocking the mask off or the regulator out of your mouth.The whole idea-particular for novices is to keep it as easy as possible
But its not "the" way into the water.
Full boat in a RIB and ill jump off and put my scuba gear on in the water. On a big boat with back steps you step off . Kinda looks like one step of a Nazi goosestep.

jmma, Jul 25, 8:40pm
If they roll forward's they would be in the boat (o:

kazbanz, Jul 25, 8:40pm
rotflmao--yep

poppy62, Jul 25, 9:09pm
Hi mate, that got my Saturday off to a good start.

saki, Jul 26, 3:07am
You may be part of the way to doing the RNZN divers swim and mud run.

briantamaki-god, Jul 26, 3:20am
yup when my brother and I did our open water the instructor said shall we go get some paua
headed off ended up in about snorkelling in about 3mtrs depth and got a feed when we went back and were eating the patties off the bbq he casually said that's one part ticked off lol the last day after finishing he said my mates arrived lets go hunting and we did our first boat dive and managed handful of antennas those crays moved fast
as im a heavy bugga my first foray into boat diving we had a small parkercraft the only exit for me was to be the last person in the boat stand in the centre and leap
as I was first to getback in I put weights and bcd in boat then got in at the very front the whole boat tipped up so far the motor was completely out of the water

elect70, Jul 26, 3:22am
I did scuba in 78 but to old & joints stuffed now . , The gear was bloody expensive in those days as it wasnt rea;lly sport . full set up cost me $2500 then but no one wanted to buy the gear when i gave it up ( all US Divers ) so iot went for scrap .

kazbanz, Jul 26, 3:25am
Funny you should mention that--Im son of a RN diver.
Dad told me about the mud runs. So that's been part of RN/RNZN training for more than 60 years :-)
Im pretty confident I could complete a RNZN mud "run" but against the clock. maybe not

kazbanz, Jul 26, 3:34am
never too old bro.

saki, Jul 27, 12:04am
The mud run is only part of it, enter the water at the naval base swim around stanley point mud run then run back to the diving school.

kazbanz, Jul 27, 12:23am
-Yep which is why im NOT a navy diver.--Maybee 30 years ago.
Mind you I am doing the 2.9km harbour swim from Chelsea under the bridge and into viaduct harbour.

countrypete, Jul 27, 12:47am
I competed in the national underwater champs in Whitianga in the late '70's. My buddy and I came second to last - the only team we beat were the navy divers!

kazbanz, Jul 27, 12:48am
musta been a rumbo too many pete.

seadubya, Jul 27, 1:31am
Nicely done, plenty of hours to get to divemaster!
Poor Knights are gorgeous, our reserves are well worth the scenic dives, just watching the abundant sea life in them makes a nice change from searching for the cray / scallop spots that are around the place too, (luckily I don't have to search too far around here).

kazbanz, Oct 12, 1:31am
Just an update guys.Finished off the DM thing and the "piece of paper" is sent off to padi Asia pacific.Untill they give me my "number" Im not officially a DM but its just Padi paper war their end now.
Short version--I passed.