Kumeu car show this weekend

Page 1 / 2
extrayda, Jan 17, 6:11pm
I turned up at about 12:30, no traffic problems, drove straight in and parked.
Left at 4ish, drove straight out, went home via some detour. Main delay was getting through Kumeu and that wasn't too bad. Swap meet was ok, still think Trade Me has resulted in all swap meet prices going up. Saw a few bargains though. Some nice cars in the shed and fields. Was humid and pretty hot, but that's Auckland. As far as traffic goes I thought it was better than last year.

tractor9, Jan 17, 7:59pm
I went yesterday. Thought this years show is better than the last few years. Less people riding around on mini bikes, motorised chilli bins etc. Seemed to be more cars on show and the swap meet was pretty interesting. Funny moment. it started to rain about 1 o'clock, stall holders were covering stalls with tarps etc. One guy was telling his missus to give him a hand to get stuff out of the rain as it would make items rusty. The thing is, the stuff he was covering up was already covered in age old rust. Had a good day.

thecoolshop, Jan 17, 10:37pm
I went yesterday too. I read this thread before I went and wasn't expecting a whole lot.

I have to say now that whoever had a whinge about this event must be real grumpy old buggers because I was blown away with the whole thing. Tons and tons of very cool cars. Everyone I talked to about there cars were friendly and funny.

Very well laid out and although there were a lot of people you could move around easily. The detour home was a great idea.

I'll be back!

westwyn, Jan 18, 7:29pm
Got up early and went to the swap meet Saturday. as I have done for the past 7-8 years in a row.Even more stalls this year, even more tat. Wall to wall mullets, Jesus beards and Lion Red at 9.00am- ha ha! On the downside, if I wanted to buy broken crockery, velvet paintings and endless other non-related gunk, I'd go to a car boot sale. Don't know why you have to wade through screeds of it to get to the actual stuff that's supposed to be at Kumeu!

On the car side- I left at 11.30am, IMHO saw very little new stuff- same cars as last year, but I didn't see what came in at lunchtime so it's not a fair criticism either.

Not half as good as what it used to be- but I'm sure we say that about a LOT of things!

mr_bond, Jan 18, 8:01pm
My first visit on Saturday. Cars were okay, don't know what I was expecting (being a hot rod show) but was kinda hoping for a bit more euro or japanese (legitimate hot rod versions) to break it up. And definitely a lot less tat.

Was prepared for queues and didn't have too much trouble. Agree with comments cars could have been better organised, even if by decade.

vjregal770, Jan 19, 2:53am
Fair call. Wasn't actually aware that was going on.

I still look forward to Kumeu but my personal pick would the Stragglers charity show held at Lake Karapiro. All the variety, easily walkable and lots of trees (ie, shade).

tgray, Jan 19, 3:19am
Remember everyone, the big annual hot rod show in Orewa this weekend and also this Sunday morning, the monthly caffeine and classics show at Smales farm, Takapuna.
(I have no affiliation with these free public events - no self promotion).

mattbrook, Jan 19, 8:07am
Does anyone who went know the name of the crowd that were selling the Radio Flyer wagons with the Model A tops on them? they were in the Swap Meet section just as you entered by the bar area but. I desperately need to get a hold of one

tgray, Jan 12, 1:43am
Who's going?

extrayda, Jan 12, 2:45am
Probably will be although I don't recon it's as good as it used to be (been going for a very long time). Used to enjoy the swap meet the most.

toyboy3, Jan 12, 3:13am
Time to don the singlet to parade around and show all the tattoos and beer guts

marmar1, Jan 12, 3:36am
Wish the layout of the cars was more organised as it seems to be drive in and park anywhere.

esprit, Jan 12, 4:00am
Negatory, will be at NZFMR

trogedon, Jan 12, 4:10am
Good reason to AVOID the place. especially on my BICYCLE.

vjregal770, Jan 12, 10:38am
I'll be there.

tgray, Jan 12, 7:26pm
Good excuse to take the Stingray out.
Starts at 7am, so I'm leaving Takapuna at 5.30am (normally a 20 min trip) Hopefully that should miss the queue's, but I doubt it.

extrayda, Jan 12, 7:56pm
Queues seemed better last year wasn't too bad.
It would be good if the cars were a bit more organised, but I guess hard to do, and in some ways makes it more interesting if it isn't a field full of Camaros, then a field of Falcons etc.
Trog, maybe you could 'customise' your bike, and try to sneak in as an exhibitor? Just don't wear the Lycra that day.

socram, Jan 12, 7:59pm
Ditto. Friday & Saturday

socram, Jan 12, 8:01pm
Wouldn't it be easier to simply have separate parking areas for 'interesting' and 'mundane'? Even if not policed, it would help.

extrayda, Jan 12, 8:15pm
I get what you mean socram, but who would judge what is interesting?
I prefer stuff from 60's to 70's mainly, but also like Hot Rods, and even modern 'customs' of some sorts. I can appreciate a good build of a Jappa, but in general they don't do it for me the same way a V8 does.

extrayda, Jan 12, 8:17pm
Could possibly block it into decades at least, with a separate area for heavily customised?

tgray, Jan 12, 8:38pm
Trying to split the cars and sort them into groups, would only make the delays getting in even longer.
The show did not fill up the field last year and I am sure that is because the year before, there were major delays that must have put some people off going last year. Most people waited well over an hour just to drive inside the gate.

socram, Jan 12, 8:55pm
As I said, without officialdom, just give people the choice of one field or the other. 'One man's meat is another man's poison' as they say.

I can appreciate an immaculate, mint 1970's Jappa just as much as a heavily customized V8, but I wouldn't expect to see a bog standard 2014 Falcodore in the 'interesting' car park - but one or two wouldn't upset me, if the majority were in fact interesting.

trogedon, Jan 13, 3:41am
Not wear lycra?! I might as well stop shaving my legs!

extrayda, Jan 13, 8:13am
Mental image that I didn't need thanks Trog ;-)