Looking to sell an old CR-V

miketrump, Oct 2, 5:58am
Hi there folks, I have a 2002 Honda CR-V I'm looking to get rid of, it's not warranted or registered and I just want to get rid of the thing, it is still driveable (although not legally, on public roads), should I just sell it for parts?
It has 140,000k's on the clock and the thing has never missed a beat in the time I've owned it, apart from a couple of flat tyres, I've kept up with all the maintenance on it in the 5 years I've had it.
The reason I'm getting rid of it is because I've since bought a new vehicle and the Honda is not worth spending money on to bring it back to registered and warranted status.
What are you guys thoughts?

saxman99, Oct 2, 6:01am
If you don't care how much you get then $1 reserve on TM. List of work needed to get wof. Otherwise get the wof and reg and then list for $x. Cars are always worth more with wof and reg.

tigertim20, Oct 2, 6:08am
I would take it in for a wof check, and post the sheet showing proof of the items required.
$1 reserve.
probably the best way of maximising your sale price without a big expense

johotech, Oct 2, 6:11am
Even that one was cheap.

miketrump, Oct 2, 6:25am
Thing is, the rego and warrant expired 2-3 years ago, yeah, not a good look, hence why I want to see it go.
The current registration has been dropped by NZTA, that is why I'm thinking it's better to sell it as is, where is.
I really dropped the ball on this vehicle, it has given me really great service, yet once I got my new ute, it's sat in the driveway and gathered dust

intrade, Oct 2, 6:40am
its scrap metal and unless you sell it as is where is you will be sued under the consumer guarantees act for anything that wont work for the next 100 years amd you also have to change the buyers nappys as per consumer guarantees act .
So i would just tow it to the crusher far less hassle .

westwyn, Oct 2, 6:47am
Bloody hell, intrade, you're in a grump this week! OP, your CR-V is worth a fair amount of money even in a de-registered state. And it probably IS worth re-complying (unless there's damage, or rust, you're not mentioning). As a private seller, the CGA doesn't apply- you can sell it as-is where-is without consequence, a $1 Reserve auction may actually surprise you with the results. Or- do your homework, put it through a re-compliance CHECK (without committing to the work) and see what it costs.

There's a strong market for 2002 model CR-V's out there.

brapbrap8, Oct 2, 6:51am
Good market for CRVs, decent farm hacks for a couple of grand if it is too rough to get road worthy.
Otherwise boy racers like them, to take the engine out to repower Civics and Integras. (for the 2.4L CRV).

miketrump, Oct 6, 6:08am
Thanks folks for your advice.
To get this road-worthy again, I would have to either tow it to VTNZ and back again or put it on a car transporter there and back, this is not something I can afford and just want rid of this vehicle.
The engine is as sweet as and the body is not too shabby either, the transmission runs as good as the day I first drove it, as I said above, I just dropped the ball on this vehicle.

phillip.weston, Oct 6, 8:43pm
I always have to wonder how people let the registration lapse? it's really not hard to place the rego on hold.

tony9, Oct 6, 9:27pm
If the rego is out of date, the only way to put it on hold is to either pay it up to date, or sell it and the new owner can then put it on hold. But, the old owner will then be dinged for the overdue amount.

rpvr, Oct 6, 9:37pm
Yeah, all of two minutes on line, why do some people find this too hard?

jetsin5, Oct 9, 10:25am
Hey Mike, I may be interested in this, I'll check back tomorrow to see if you get this message and we can figure some thing out

phillip.weston, Oct 11, 1:17am
The rego can be up to two months overdue without having to pay the fees to place on hold. After two months the owner has to pay to bring up to date. Either way. still beats losing thousands on the value of the car and still being hit with the $200 years rego bill anyway.

intrade, Oct 11, 1:35am
The lapsed rego has to be paid anyhow once its automatically deregisterd because no one paid or put it on hold . the car gets deregod and then the outstanding registration sent to baycorp for collection.
That is how it works . if its fair or legal i dont know probably 90% of all laws would be illegal based on the original bill of rights . but hey its comunismus here masked as democracy .

kazbanz, Feb 27, 10:08am
Give the car a really good scrub up inside and out.
Take a look at the car adverts on here that jump out of the page at you picture wise. Take pics of your car that match them. angle/lighting backdrop wise.
Do an advert on here
Give an honest description of the car and clearly state in TOTALLY unambiguous words that the rego is definitely lapsed rego.
Explain WHY it has lapsed.