VY Utes

robotnik, Oct 10, 8:09pm
Utes based on car platforms aren't trendy anymore. Get something like an Isuzu D-Max or Ford Ranger instead.

carclan, Oct 10, 9:19pm
Coming from someone that has and does own both Ford and Holden utility vehicles the Ford Falcon was the better of the two, the Falcon is not as nice and the diffs give up the ghost early on in the piece, the Holden is a bit more style orientated and better assembled but is more care than ute.

martin11, Oct 10, 9:25pm
Useless as a tow vehicle 2 ton rated with braked trailer 750kg without get pushed around with a heavy trailer if you have nothing on the tray

xs1100, Oct 11, 7:52am
nice utes and good guys to deal with but price up there for a old ute

gunhand, Oct 11, 8:04am
Old ute? its practicably new compared with some old crap for twice the price they try and get on here lol.
Ive drivin the ss version and stock version of this and by far the better one was the bog stock V6 one. If you like being jarred about then SS by all means.
Even though these new utes are popular and trendy as said above, try and get something off the tray. first time I seen one of these new huge things it was the first thing I asked, how do get to the middle of the tray. worse if you have a canopy. And how do you toss an old ewe up there?.
Anyway, good old utes them if thats what you want. Means you cant take all 3 kids away with you though. hmmmmmm. lol.

franc123, Feb 25, 9:22am
If that's what the OP wants and is prepared to pay the money, who cares? I would personally still go Falcon but that VY is obviously a tidy example of the model, you'd do the usual Commodore checks for bad oil leaks from the motor and steering gear, suspension and trans/diff wear and general abuse but there is far less to potentially go wrong with those than these modern stressed turbodiesel fourbangers. As for two ton tow rating being 'useless', its more than adequate for the average private user, you only need more if the tray has dimensions not dissimilar to a medium sized station wagon with the seat up like the trendy compromised twin cabs have. You may have noticed a lot of these things seem to have trailers on the back a fair bit of the time and there is much chest beating about tow ratings but very little talk about deck size/actual payload and rear seat comfort too from the marketing men. there are good reasons for that.