Bloody cyclists.

Page 1 / 2
archereon, Jun 12, 9:45pm

archereon, Jun 12, 9:48pm
troggie, address what I say, instead of just saying it wont work.
That is silly.

peja, Jun 12, 10:48pm
The one place in the world I would have expected would be able to make bicycle rego's work is Singapore - and they dont have it, I just checked. They do have lots of cyclists, and not dissimilar issues to NZ too judging by the sites I found on cycling in Singapore. If they cant make it work there, I doubt it could be made to work anywhere. I cant think of a place where it has been tried and made to work

archereon, Jun 12, 11:44pm
Have they tried?

puddleduck00, Jun 12, 11:47pm
Next thing pedestrians will need to be reg'd, WOF'd and plated. I don't think many Kiwis would pass their WOF though.

trogedon, Jun 13, 12:19am
peja and I have addressed it. It won't work and you disagreeing with that doesn't make what we write "silly". Where have I attacked you?

trogedon, Jun 13, 12:19am
Word!

archereon, Jun 13, 12:33am
Then I responded to your points, and you ignored them.

peja, Jun 13, 12:39am
Two other problems with achereon's suggestions;
1) "Reflective numbers/letters on a stamped metal backplate. Or if you really want, carbon fibre! "
Too easy to fake, too easy to steal, or transfer between bikes, same as a number on a jacket or similar. A passable fake that doesnt pass close scrutiny but will look OK at a glance from a passing cop car could be made with a felt tip pen and/or paint. Its not like a helmet or a light in that regard.

2) "that public database called the electoral roll"
Probably the worst thing to use - firstly quite a lot of people arent on it, because of the atrocious privacy protection it offers. Some people go the legal route and get themselves officially withheld from the electoral roll, which can be done if you are a victim of certain crimes such as domestic violence or work in certain jobs. Its quite a bureacratic tangle though, so a lot of people take the easy way out and simply dont register, or arent on it because they simply cant be bothered. And they will be the ones most likely not to obey the road rules as cyclists.

Secondly I dont think the electoral roll is in an electronic form that is easily accessible to the police. Even if it were, its not unheard of for people to give wrong ID's to the Police, and use of the electoral roll will not solve that.

Thirdly, I just cant see the Police actually bothering to do all this checking. They dont stop people not wearing helmets or using lights now, why are they going to bother going to all this extra trouble

archereon, Jun 13, 1:01am

archereon, Jun 13, 1:05am
I hereby retract the attack word that you so object to, and request your input on how to make the road safer for all road users in a fair and equitable way. How would you remove bad bicyclists from the road? Which is what this thread is about, after all.
If you as a awesome super safe bicyclist do not want to be tarred with the same brush as the 'ferals' it would be in your best interest wouldn't it?

archereon, Jun 13, 1:33am
Bike registration.
http://www.tokyobybike.com/2013/11/how-to-register-your-bicycle-in-japan.html http://www.hbl.org/bikelaws Hawaii Bicycle tax (§249-14) Link to full legal text

All bicycles with two tandem wheels, twenty (20) inches or more in diameter, are required to be registered and shall be subject to a permanent registration fee of $15 to be paid by the owners thereof to the City Budget and Fiscal Director. After payment of the fee, the owner will be provided with a decal to be attached to the bicycle. The decal is to be placed on the frame's seat tube facing the forward direction.
There shall be a fee of $5.00 when transferring registered ownership of a bicycle.
http://la.streetsblog.org/2008/09/17/yes-you-need-a-license-to-ride-a-bike-in-los-angeles/

You guys must not have looked very hard. There are ways to do it. It does happen. And it IS enforced.

tub4, Jun 13, 4:28am
Archereon at some stage you will work out trying win a fight with failed school teachers & cyclists is like wrestling pigs in mud, they enjoy it and you'll never win

archereon, Jun 13, 4:50am
I realise bicyclists think they are some sort of entitled overspecies, and the more they talk, the bigger they dig their own hole.

delerium1, Jun 13, 6:26am
Pillock

archereon, Jun 13, 6:43am
See what I mean. I haven't even suggested licensing bicyclists, like every other road user, just having a registration system for bikes. which is apparently impossible, and not done anywhere in the world, at all, and nobody can find a record of nosirree, unless you are japanese, or californian or, hawaiian.
And wouldn't be enforced like the 10000 tickets for not riding with a helmet that definitely were not issued last year.

unideck, Jun 13, 6:57am
Totally uncalled for - TOTALLY

puddleduck00, Jun 13, 7:00am
I feel exactly the same about you after reading your posts.

archereon, Jun 13, 7:10am
I expect all road users to treat each other with respect, and follow the rules.
Some bicyclists demand to be treated as if they are the only people who have a right to be on the road. You couldn't (wouldn't?) even find find information about overseas bicycle registration, and claim that police don't bother with helmet laws. Both of which I showed was wrong.

sifty, Jun 13, 7:18am
reinforcing the antisocial cyclist mentality there I'm afraid.

cammey, Jun 13, 7:27am
Clearly they bother a bit.

But I cycle most every day. 7km each way, half through town. Never owned a helmet. Never been pestered by a policeman.

archereon, Jun 13, 7:37am
Yet.

cammey, Jun 13, 8:06am
Possibly. But the police by and large can't be bothered with cyclists.

trogedon, Jun 13, 8:07am
Its this sort of nasty comment from you that means I don't bother much with humorous retorts etc. You just don't deserve it.

tub4, Jun 13, 8:23am
Its ok if you make nasty comments but look out if you're a non cyclist, yep thats just as I'd expect it to be