Looking for advice on two different 4x4's

Page 1 / 2
seadubya, Jun 17, 4:43am
I am looking at a mid 90's petrol Cherokee as a cheap runabout, boat launcher and firewood collector that will probably rarely leave the peninsula and be a second vehicle. What do I need to look for with these 20 year old wagons?
At the same time I am on the look out for a $10-15k Territory for a solo mum who has decided that she only wants a Territory, are there good and bad models/gearboxes etc?
Basically looking for Achilles heel issues with either model, things that go wrong with them, which model, year to avoid etc and what to look out for when looking at these particular models. Will be getting experts to do final PPI once choices are narrowed down to a couple of vehicles.
Thanks in advance, any questions or answers much appreciated.

brapbrap8, Jun 17, 5:26am
For Territorys they have relatively weak suspension and brakes, the shocks pack up fairly quickly on rougher roads. A Territory with A/T tyres on it would send warning signs to me, one that has had a nice easy life in town would be a much better bet I think.
Engine and transmissions are fairly good, the 4L straight 6 has an excellent reputation but it will drink gas.
They are developing a reputation for going badly rusty too, make sure to check for rust on welds and joins in the engine bay and fire wall areas.

msigg, Jun 17, 5:30am
Nothing wrong with the 90's jeep, good offroad and on, good for towing and what you want, cheap too. Like anything aged need one thats been looked after . just drink gas like any petrol 4x4 . Territory, I myself don't like these, nice to ride in heavy on gas too, as expected being square, some suspension issues/rust issue?, yes once narrowed down get someone competent to check over, always get cooling systems checked/changed, as this is what stops most engines onced they are overheated. Each to their own. Take all comments from this message board with a grain of salt. Good luck.

seadubya, Jun 17, 5:48am
Thanks.
Rust (firewall, welds etc), suspension and brake issues on the Territory are things I will look at, is it better to get a low mileage early one or a higher mileage later one?
The Jeeps come across as very basic but very reliable. Is the 4.0 straight 6 better/more reliable than the V8?

seadubya, Jun 17, 7:33am
Anyone else got experience or knowledge of either of these vehicles?

tamarillo, Jun 17, 7:36am
Maybe not useful but - the Chevy Blazer is similar size, type, etc as Jeep just in case its a possible - uses derivative of a commodore engine, friend had two and liked them. Might be too new/expensive though as runabout.

seadubya, Jun 17, 10:07pm
Thanks Tamarillo, being an older purchase I thought the jeep would have more 2nd hand parts available than a blazer.

mephismeltdown, Jun 17, 11:51pm
get a deisel discovery.

seadubya, Jun 18, 12:17am
Why? I'm not a masochist.

doglover2003, Jun 18, 1:01am
Just buy a low k D21 Terrano and be done with it. There is
a reason why they hold their price.

mm12345, Jun 18, 3:36am

doglover2003, Jun 18, 7:20am
It sure is - the old chestnut link that has been posted applied
to late 80 early 90 models. Have a 92 and it is sweet.
Just have a look behind driver and passenger seats
and lift back seat.
One of the cheapest to run, comfy, reliable 4WD's can get.
Let their resale value for their year do all the talking.
Cannot see ever selling my reliable rig.

doglover2003, Jun 18, 7:26am
The manual D21 can develop a fault around 150,000 km due to a lubrication fault - most will be well sorted by now. Best to go for auto.

ambo11, Jun 18, 7:38am
The 90s XJ Jeeps are good solid wagons. Our one was really good on gas considering its size and the available power. But a few things things to know:

They are small inside, and I had a lot of trouble getting in and out without bashing my head.Our was a sport model, be aware the Limited models have the electric seats etc which make the seats higher up again. I wouldn't have fitted in a Limited.

The models with roof racks from factory are best avoided, as I have never seen one which wasn't rusty around the roof racks in the rear, many I looked at were bogged up.

The cooling systems are fairly fragile, so make sure the crossflow radiator is in good nick and is full of antifreeze. They can be replaced with a jap radiator with a bit of work.

They are very capable 4WD vehicles which will tow anything, and a lot of car for the peanuts they fetch.Personally I prefer the straight six 4.0l motor as they can be okay on gas with the right use and tune, and are bulletproof.

seadubya, Jun 21, 12:01am
Thanks for the insight ambo11, I have spent the last couple of days looking at many of them and found bog around roof racks, dodgy radiators, faulty electrics and gearboxes that make a big clunk when changing from high to low or vice versa.
Have had a look at one Terrano because it was nearby and they are reasonably roomy around the drivers seat compared to the Jeep, which did surprise me.
Are there any Terrano engines to avoid? There is a 3.3 petrol that seems to be in pretty nice good condition with no rust under the rear seat etc. Would prefer auto for slow towing offroad. I'm not too fussed at the running cost differences between petrol/diesel Terrano's as it won't be doing huge mileage, more likely lots of small trips.
Thanks again, your tips were great ambo11, it wasn't until I climbed up and looked down on the roof that obvious bog and overspray around some roof racks became evident.

geedubu, Jun 21, 1:56am
I had excellent service out of a non-turbo 4 litre diesel Nissan Patrol. Towed and launched a large and heavy boat when needed; was extremely reliable & was so comfortable on a trip my wife preferred it for long journeys to the family car.

doglover2003, Jun 21, 2:03am
Should be 3000cc V6 - Nissan know how to make motors - all terrano motors are great - put "terrano v6 petrol problems" into google and you will
not see pages and pages like other models people swear by.

doglover2003, Jun 21, 2:06am
I know that comfort you speak of - hard to beat :)

kazbanz, Jun 21, 2:50am
seadubya--re the ford-Don't Just Don't.
Jeeps are and were fairly solid vehicles.
The sport model you can tell a mile off-spare on the back
The suspension of the LTD by now will either be replaced of sacked out-literally too soft.
As ambo said they are fairly small inside and look for that rust.
The four wheel drive/high low part is fairly agricultural. Its goes in with a solid clunk.
Replacing the water pump is a beyarch of a job.

geedubu, Jun 21, 4:29am
Quite right - it's a strange thing. I replaced the Nissan Patrol with a Toyota Harrier when I didn't need to tow heavy loads and I found that the family likes the big armchair comfort more than a family Altezza or BMW. Nothing like cruising along up high in a rolling lounge suite!

seadubya, Jun 21, 9:13am
Thanks for the insight, the best one I looked at had no signs of rust or respray, and the clunk was noticeable from low to high but not high to low, good to know it could be normal, it was a full time 4wd model. The vehicle was warm when I turned up so I couldn't open the radiator but it was glycol green in the reservoir and the fins were in good condition, it was the plastic topped radiator, although the hoses felt pressurised, I couldn't squeeze them at all. The only other niggle I had was that being the luxury version it had a button for everything, and some of them had started playing up.

doglover2003, Jun 21, 9:12pm
To true ! makes the journey seem half the distance.
How does your Harrier compare for comfort to your old patrol ?
(Look a good unit the harrier - dare say more refined than the patrol lololll
and quicker)

mephismeltdown, Jun 21, 10:46pm
I wouldnt buy a jeep or a ford just buy a diesel discovery.

doglover2003, Jun 21, 10:50pm
Yeah and have a good mechanic on call

shakespeare6, Jun 21, 11:03pm
Had a couple jeeps just buying our third. Have a 98 grand at the moment. Better radiator than the previous 96 square shape the early had a small x flow this was changed in 1997. Been a good old bus for the last 6 years only done a water pump plus the normal plugs and oil changes. We will probably just keep this one as a spare, good for towing and putting timber on the roof.
The straught 6 is one bullet proof engine just goes and goes pretty good on gas open road not to bad around town- wouldn't be buying another if it wasn't any good.