Classic Mini question

lissa25, Feb 19, 6:06am
I need a new diff, and am going new crosspin. After looking internationally at all the options and reviews I could find, I am down to Minispares or MED engineering, both come out shining in the reviews and cost is very similar. Has anyone tried either? I hear that MED are a small company that are very easy to deal with, but I have had no problems with Minispares in the past.
While we are on the subject, and I have the engine out anyway, I am also thinking lightened flywheel, as diff and flywheel were the only things that weren't upgraded with the big rebuild last year.
Any suggestions, ideas or alternatives gratefully received, thanks.

smac, Feb 19, 6:48am
My 1380 runs the minispares cross-pin. Never had any issues, and have never personally heard of anyone busting one. MED have an excellent name for quality, so probably comes down to price etc. If they are close in price I'd probably go MED. Whoever installs it needs to know what they're doing with regard to shimming etc
Same car runs a minispares fast road/rally or what ever they call it steel flywheel. Significantly lighter than the standard boat anchor, and makes a significant difference to the 'revability' of the motor. Very worthwhile in a mini. I don't think the negatives that some people mention with regard to light flywheels (touchy off the line etc) apply to a mini as the rotating mass is still relatively heavy. Probably makes sense to get the matching backing plate. I didn't but should have.

I'll sell you both of these as a matched set already installed, and for the right price I'll throw in the rest of motor and car ;)

lissa25, Feb 19, 7:04am
Thanks smac, I am wavering towards the MED on the opinion of others, as price difference is minimal, but online reviews show both of them in the same light ie; the best without going LSD.
MED also do this which is tempting, but unknown by me. http://www.med-engineering.co.uk/catalogue/clutch-assembly/med-st1-ultra-light-assembly

bwg11, Feb 19, 11:28pm
Sorry to be a bit negative, but experience from years back would caution you not to excessively lighten the flywheel. We overdid one for a Road/Rally car many years ago. Can't remember the final weight now unfortunately. Drive-ability was horrible. Sure, it revved more quickly, accelerated faster, particularly in first and second, but was too easy to stall for everyday road use. True, it was only 947cc (848 crank and 060 over Devon pistons), I'm sure more cubes would have helped. From memory, you are overbored 1098?, or is this changing with the current mods? I've had the flywheel off my 1275, looked at it, considered lightening, and put it back standard, as mine is basically a road car.

For a race car, yes, do it. The better acceleration in first, and to a decreasing extent in second and third is vitally important as two cars taken off the start is two less to overtake later.

As regards differential pins, I have seen many totally stuffed differential pins and pinions years ago, but the last one I pulled down (a 1990 Cooper ex Japan) was virtually unmarked at 90k. Can't help wondering if the early (like 1960's) pins were rubbish material or are today's oils much better? If I had to replace one now, I'd use the Mini Spares one.

smac, Feb 20, 7:46am
Maybe being a rally car you went even lighter? Or as you say maybe the shorter stroke or less horsies made the difference? Anyway, in an 1100 I certainly wouldn't expect any issues.

smac, Feb 20, 7:49am
Knowing everything was machined to work together is certainly worth some money. Have seen plenty reports of clutch issues that stem back to pressure plates not machined to account for modified or new flywheels. At the pointy end fractions of a mm are all it takes to make the difference between working and slipping.

lissa25, Feb 20, 9:52pm
Thanks bwg, I am not taking your comments as negative but pragmatic. Your memory is correct it is an 1198 with 80thou oversize Graham Russel flat top pistons. The engine came out last night and the guide pin on the newish hardened diff pin sheared allowing the diff pin to wander and it has filed back the cover to the point of replacement while filling the engine with alloy filings. Since it is all apart it is no extra labour to refit any flywheel, and the one that I linked above is not the lightest race type but hopefully a happy medium designed for road use.
Thanks for your comments as I am an enthusiast but by no means a mechanic and comments from you and smac are exactly why I started this thread. Counting offline votes with yours and smac's I am now looking at 3 votes each for minispares vs MED, I will make up my mind by Monday night when the UK stores open for the week. Thanks again.

lissa25, Feb 20, 9:56pm
Thats what I was thinking, after strip down last night, my clutch seems pretty good still, but having the entire package dynamically balanced and setup properly is a plus in my eyes, and the orange plate should make sure I make the most of it. Just figuring duty etc now. Thanks for your help, as a relatively inexperienced enthusiast I really value the opinions of those who have done it.

ceebee2, Jun 4, 7:57pm
Call Steve from Strong Bros Northshore in Auckland. There is nothing he doesnt know about minis in his 40 odd years of working on them and still does!
09 444 8999