Ellerslie car fair

tool.man, Jun 7, 4:08am
good place to sell ? any one had any issues
was thinking of trying to sell car there

mopeds, Jun 7, 4:20am
No you'd be much better running a $1 reserve auction on TM.

tony9, Jun 7, 4:31am
Good to meet up with locals. You never know, you might see this guy. http://www.cobra.racing.org.nz/roger.htm

afer_daily, Jun 7, 4:53am
I will be there tomorrow /look for the silver honda oddsey . next to the other silver oddsey .

tony9, Jun 7, 4:55am
Sorry, my bad. Thought it was the Ellesmere car fair.

tgray, Jun 7, 7:57am
I have found it is a good place to sell if you are selling a $2000 car.
Otherwise, I wouldn't spend your money and Sunday morning standing in a carpark over putting an ad on Trademe for similar money.

xs1100, Jun 7, 8:20am
and all the other imports there.

whqqsh, Jun 7, 7:13pm
Fair go has caught up with quite a few people who are regular sellers there, you know the guys that buy a write off at turners, get cousin Achmed to get it sort of right & give it a squirt of paint, then replate & bingo its yours for a good(ish) price.
I know a few people that just bought cheap cars as they come up through mates & large workplaces, tart them up & off to Ellerslie, it's amazing how many guys there are 'only selling the car' they bought for their daughter because she doesn't like it/ has gone on her OE/ bought a bigger car for her dog etc etc, yet are there next time selling another car from another daughter, funny that!

newtec1, Jun 7, 10:11pm
Some of these nationalities have a lot of daughters who don't like cars,just saying.

edangus, Jun 7, 10:38pm
I reckon if you have a really good vehicle and want less than 5k go for it. Seriously most of what is on offer you wouldn't give to your worst enemy. So many POS there. It's certainly not a good place to go to buy a car (as posters above have asserted)

cinderellagowns, Jun 7, 11:10pm
I live a stones throw from the Ellerslie car fair. Husband and I returned from overseas stint on a Saturday and needed a car pronto. On Sunday he walked down to the fair with the $800 cash we had on us and came back with a POS car. I figured it only needed to run for a few weeks to be a better deal than getting taxis everywhere while we sorted a more permanent car purchase. We ended up using it for 6 months before it finally blew up. I reckon we got value for money.
BTW - it could have been even better value for money if we weren't so honest. We found about $500 under the passenger seat! I rang the seller and got their bank account number and transferred the money to them.

tgray, Jun 7, 11:25pm
That's honest and almost certainly more honest than the seller.
He was probably selling a trade in from a dealer and wouldn't have been his car or his money anyway. I bet he couldn't believe his luck.

cinderellagowns, Jun 7, 11:34pm
I did consider that, yes. We found the money the same day, and I rung the number we had and sort of asked a round about question like "Did you leave anything in the car?" and they rang back later saying they had left X amount of dollars (the correct amount, whatever it was). So I at least know the money WAS theirs. I received a call from a young woman the next day who was very grateful and kept saying "a thousand blessings on your family". I'm happy with that.

pebbles61, Jun 7, 11:36pm
You'd likely get some joker trying to lowball you first thing in the morning, he'll give it a wash, stick in a new pine air freshener and try and sell it for $1000 more (tax free of course) lol.

tgray, Jul 15, 9:00am
Fair enough.
It was possibly money he had left over, after buying the one he sold you an hour prior. And yes, this happens all the time.