Urgent Brake help

Page 1 / 2
digger02, Nov 14, 5:43am
In need of some expertise guys.
I am in the middle of changing out the pads and discs on my car (02 Atenza) and I have done one side. When I moved to the other side and used my new Teng tools impact driver, the impact bit snapped off. Will it be fine to reassemble with one side new and the other old until a solution is found or is it pretty important that they are the same? Obviously I can't change the other side back to the old discs/pads with a broken bit.
Please help.

m16d, Nov 14, 5:48am
Well if your going to drive it like that til it's fixed,then don't try any crash stops.

franc123, Nov 14, 5:49am
It will be ok as long as you don't ask too much of it, I would fit the new pads anyway until you can get the other rotor changed.

aj.2., Nov 14, 5:55am
You may get side ways pulling, the new side may be better , so watch for that when you drive it . it should not be much , but could happen .

panicky, Nov 14, 5:58am
We had an Atenza in our workshop the other week with an entirely different front rotor, pads and caliper to the other side, so I am sure you will be fine. (vehicle had been in previous accident).

digger02, Nov 14, 5:59am
Thanks franc123, That was my initial thought but I wanted to be sure just incase it wasn't recommended to drive like that. I'll be limiting any use to urgent needs anyway until the other is done, Cheers.

mals69, Nov 14, 5:59am
Bed the new brake pad in

kazbanz, Nov 14, 6:09am
digger-wouldn't it be easier to just grab another impact bit ?
nahh not being a smart alec--I noticed you were waitak what suburb?
Dya have another vehicle?

franken1, Nov 14, 6:20am
Note to self.
Remove Teng Impact bits off Christmas tool shopping list.

digger02, Nov 14, 6:23am
kazbanz- No offence taken. I'm Whenuapai, RNZAF base. Yes my plan is to get a replacement bit/s asap, just needed the info whether I would be able to mismatch the rotors and still drive ok until then. The other vehicle is the motorbike parked in front of the car in a single garage (car seat doesn't fit on that).

kazbanz, Nov 14, 6:36am
Digger-theres this fulla I know backa Henderson -prolly if you visited him NOW he'd lend ya an impact bit.pozi or flat?
Sorry offering to help is seen as self promotion by some keyboard warriors.

tintop, Nov 14, 6:37am
Rather than wait for 'emergency' to use the car - just take it for a gentle scoot round the back roads now. Get an idea of any new tricks that may be lurking. :)

kazbanz, Nov 14, 6:37am
Nahh better to leave wheel off -grab another impact bit from "somewhere" and finish the job
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/425409845.jpg

cabrio1, Nov 14, 6:40am
Try a bash in the doing it up direction, this may help with the undoing direction part.

kazbanz, Nov 14, 6:45am
cabrio--the bit that does the bashing is busted

digger02, Nov 14, 6:49am
Thanks but tried that, gave it a whack in the clockwise direction and when I went back to loosen was when the bit snapped off.

cabrio1, Nov 14, 6:50am
No the bit that receives the bashing is busted. The bit. Replace the bit , try in the clockwise direction before the anticlockwise direction.
But essentially you are correct, as usual, buy a new bit and have another crack.

cabrio1, Nov 14, 6:50am
Lol, you beat me. Then buy some snap on bits.

sr2, Nov 14, 6:59am
From memory the Mazda 6 just needs an 8 mm allen key on the lower bolt and you can flip the caliper up, no need for an impact wrench?
A new pad on a used disk needs virtually no running in, (i.e. the old disc will already have a deposit of pad compound on it); a couple of brake applications should have the car safe to drive.

kazbanz, Nov 14, 7:01am
UM--didya see the bit about new disks matey?

cabrio1, Nov 14, 7:03am
I see you are an Air Force guy.
Use the old trusty 8" old man, screw knocker with a snap on bit
http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,3701.html
Big fail if you can't get that out?.

aj.2., Nov 14, 7:17am
Waste of time as it should have been done up tight in the first place.
BUT To shock it so that the bolt may move , Place a Drift on the head of bolt and give it a hard smack, this often works.
Have had to do that on stubborn truck wheel nuts, used heavy walled pipe, Good luck OP.

cabrio1, Nov 14, 7:19am
Just a guess here but I'm thinking its a screw not a bolt.

aj.2., Nov 14, 7:27am
Still works, just use a punch that will not burr over the head too much.
One good hard smack should be enough , .
What happens by using this method is that you transmit movement along the whole bolt / screw, and often allows that wee bit of easing movement.

cabrio1, Nov 14, 7:29am
aj.2. wrote:

Still works, just use a punch that will not burr over the head too much.
One good hard smack should be enough , .
What happens by using this method is that you transmit movement along the whole bolt / screw, and often allows that wee bit of easing movement.[/quote
You are correct. Good luck op.