Why BMW is a safe car

Page 1 / 2
billyfieldman, Nov 19, 3:57am

gammelvind, Nov 19, 4:30am
Well thats a a write off.

billyfieldman, Nov 19, 4:34am
I'm impressed the driver crawled out uninjured.

rsr72, Nov 19, 4:42am
What a dick. Was only the 2.5 litre anyway.

richardmayes, Nov 19, 4:42am
Can I be a total buzzkill and say that that wasn't actually a very fast crash?

There is a film somewhere of two people driving a Lamborghini Gallardo at full speed on a Hungarian motorway and putting it in a ditch. I think it was posted up on here. They either walked away or else weren't badly injured.

ema1, Nov 19, 6:35am
Ah well scratch another BMW driven by a "Tosser". also it doesn't give some of them Carte Blanche to endanger others on the road either.

tamarillo, Nov 19, 8:12am
Agree, what a dickhead. Simply bad driving skills showing off on what must be the most filmed corner anywhere.
Though I'm a BMW fan . Really any modern car should protect driver in a crash like that.

marte, Nov 19, 9:03am
If you have ever pulled the dash off a BMW and compaired it to a Jappa cars.
You would drive a BMW.
Jappa dash = plastic and twisted metal tube and bracket cage.

BMW = soft plastic dash covering built in shock absorbing brittle honeycomb plastic structure surrounding 1/2 the amount of internals a jappa car has. .

ie, they gonna have to cut you or the car apart to get you out of a jappa.

vs, they remove window, axe dashboard into plastic flakes and slip out dash frontage in one peice and then lift you out of the BMW in the same body position that you were in when they got there.

klrider, Nov 19, 6:39pm
Its a little known fact of course that all japanese cars are bult exactly the same and all BMW's are built exactly the same. Strip the paint off a Charade, you can't tell it from an RX7, a brand new M3, is actually a classic 2002 once you take the back seat out. People will be shocked to know that the dashboard of a new Toyota corolla can be pulled out and bolted/plugged stright into a ten year old WRX. The second hand parts industry know this of course, but they keep it to themselves. SSSHHHHHHH

tamarillo, Nov 19, 6:41pm
Oh for goodness sake!
This is a public forum you twit!
Now the truth is out there.

klrider, Nov 19, 6:55pm
Oh dear god. what have I done. I wasn't thinking, I dont know how to take this back!

mrfxit, Nov 19, 7:09pm
Oh GREAT, so now you want a refund as well

timmo1, Nov 19, 7:12pm
Its not true anyway, I once tried to use the bumper off a Honda City Turbo II as a replacement dashboard on a Lexus GS430 (I wanted extra vents in the dash) and it required substantial modification to the mounting tabs to fit PLUS it used 12mm heads instead of 10mm on the mounting bolts.

mrfxit, Nov 19, 7:13pm
Pathetic crash.
It's just a simple rollover at slow speed.
Did far worse then that in a 1956 Humber 80 & then drove it back home.
Hell, slide off a corner & rolled a 105 Anglia in to a hedge, pulled it out with the farmers tractor & drove that back home as well.

Bet ya they didn't drive the beemer home

rsr72, Nov 19, 7:20pm
- all the plastic fell off.

klrider, Nov 19, 7:42pm
I think you will find that the Lexus must have been previously modified, it should just slot right in and the tabs will line up, I take your point with regards to the bolts, . the other possability of course is that the Lexus had been repainted and was actually an F150?

poppy62, Nov 19, 8:08pm
Hi Fix! I doubt the Humber would have got up the hill let alone hit the bank at any speed. Downhill maybe!

henderson_guy, Nov 19, 9:38pm
Actually, I tend to use my brain when driving, to avoid getting into the position where I have to get cut out of anything. So the type of dash is immaterial.

ema1, Nov 19, 10:05pm
Some pathetic comments re Euro's v Others theme creeping in here, for gods sake the BMW was being driven by a TOSSER and no matter what the car is in question IT IS ONLY AS GOOD AS IT'S DRIVER.
Would almost make one think just because he was driving a Beemer that he was gods gift to all drivers and crashing in the way he did AT A COMPARATIVELY LOW SPEED by the way PROVES OTHERWISE hence the description of the driver as a TOSSER was IMO very apt.
It's a pity that same description tends to be wider spread than it should be on our roads these days.
Most modern cars are capable of high performance levels way above that of their drivers there are exceptions but they definitely aren't the majority they haven't improved appreciably to the same degree over the years.
It's obvious that this BMW tosser would fall into this category but wouldn't admit to it most likely?
I say if he owned car he was doing that mad act in then serves him damn well right. he's only got himself to blame, I have no sympathy for idiots that come to grief on public roads where being circumspect and safe should be paramount AT ALL TIMES.
An non public tracks OK that's a different matter but still goes to show the drivers ability being suspect if indeed this wasn't a public road and still shown as a TOSSER . IMO.
Plus referring to the thread title IMO a BMW or any other car for that matter is only as safe as it's driver, would have been a pity if some poor folks that just happened to be unfortunate enough to have been in the way.
For any car to be safe it needs to be driven in a safe manner, the object of any driving exercise is to be safe as possible AT ALL TIMES and not to be an IDIOT thinking your car is better than that of others, that view in mind is courting disaster . right there.
I prefer to die of old age, you're a long time dead . so what's the hurry.
It's obvious going by some of the posts on here that the "no tomorrow mentality" survives extremely well, mores the pity !

sr2, Nov 19, 10:31pm
LOL; I rolled a Humber 80 as well, (in my miss-spent youth). I'm sure their most stable position was anything but on all four wheels!
We even managed to roll it back on to it's wheels, push start it and do a fast (slow) getaway number just before the black and white HQ with the flashing light arrived!

tamarillo, Nov 20, 2:43am
Ouch, and I thought we were having a laugh.

tamarillo, Nov 20, 2:48am
A while back a lady posted how she had towed her VW with it in drive, or some such silliness, then said she'd claim on warranty and not tell them.
She got whole thread removed by trademe when it was pointed out this is public forum.
Personally I don't want prices of old beemers to spike when this comes out so maybe if we all voted to have thread removed.
Otherwise I'll have to switch to VW when they get cheaper.

rsr72, Nov 20, 3:32am
#22- They are already.

muzz67, Nov 20, 4:50am
Wasn't much of a crash. I would have been amazed if he WAS hurt.

vivac, Nov 20, 5:09am
He shouldn't have lifted, wuss.