Euro plates loophole

mycool87, Nov 14, 10:19pm
Someone at work said to me that they think you can get euro plates for about $30 if you damage the current plates, request plates to be remade but as it's not through personalized plates you won't have the out of control fees.
When we looked it up it's done through licensys. Does anyone know if they would do this if you damaged standard plates and requested euro plates.

bjmh, Nov 14, 10:45pm
Novelty licence plates might seem like the perfect Christmas gift - but buyers beware, they are most likely illegal and can attract fines and demerit points.

A recent increase in the number of fake licence plates being seized by police has prompted a pre-Christmas warning about the consequences of being caught.

People purchasing black plates, and plates personalised with images are among some taken by police recently.

They can be purchased on websites and allow owners a cheap way to make their plates stand out.

Auckland's motorway police say they have been seizing at least one set of fake plates each week. In Mission Bay, nine sets were taken off cars in one day this month.

"The only number plates that drivers can have on their cars are plates that have been issued by NZTA or Personalised Plates Ltd," Waitemata road policing manager Inspector Trevor Beggs said.

"This is to stop criminals from masking stolen cars or cars that have been used to commit crimes with a fake plate. A licence plate is considered to be an official document issued by the government to identify a car, just like a driver's licence identifies a driver."

Plates that are issued by NZTA and Personalised Plates have black-embossed characters against a white reflective background, they are made with a silver fern security feature in the sheeting. The fern is created during the manufacture of the reflective sheeting and can be seen by the eye if you turn the plate to a 30 degree angle.

"We're seeing an increasing number of people who have gone online and ordered plates from overseas websites that match their New Zealand plate, but are actually considered to be illegal here."

Displaying a plate that hasn't been legally issued can result in a $100 fine, 25 demerit points and confiscation of the plates.

Many people stopped by police with fake plates purchased them from a website or had them made by a signwriter. The website costs about $40 per plate.

"Many people who are pulled over by police who have a 'facsimile' plate don't realise that they shouldn't have it on their car,"

mycool87, Nov 14, 10:53pm
This place is legit, they are the ones who make the plates for ltsa and personalized plates
https://www.licensys.com/personalised_plates.php

bjmh, Nov 14, 11:06pm
all good,i just read this long winded article and thought it might be relevant

lookoutas, Nov 15, 2:03am
So you just copied that?
Thank crst for that, thought you were getting all serious and PC on us!

bjmh, Nov 15, 3:16am
lookoutas ha ha hows your head ,it would take me a month too type that. hunt and peck typist . that's me,jeez not looking good in France eh !

sw20, Nov 15, 3:40am
New Zealand police. Keeping the monopoly viable every day.

martin11, Nov 15, 3:45am
Nothing to do with the police its NZTA and the Government that make the rules .

lookoutas, Nov 15, 6:24am
"Remember the Warrior?"

Bloody big chunk of skin off the nut though.
Not the first time - won't be the last.
No warning, is the problem.

pandai, Nov 15, 7:03am
No, you can't. You have to personalise the current plate first into a euro plate (even if it's a standard issue number).

I was replacing plates earlier in the year and asked Licensys about it directly.

mycool87, Nov 15, 8:59am
ok thanks. thought I'd ask as personalized plates are monopoly nazi's

pandai, Oct 17, 1:12am
yep, $399 to change