Thin Streets

v8_mopar, Sep 7, 1:22am
Here in Dunedin, and I'm guessing other places around NZ, we have a few narrow streets where you can only park on one side of the road and two cars can not pass on whats left.

There just happens to be this group of people who do not understand how these streets work.

For the record, if said group is reading, if you are on the side of the parked cars then you must give way by pulling over in front of driveways or where parks are empty.
Please take note - I can not pull over onto the footpath if you come at me when I'm on the side of the road with no parked cars.

If you, unlike most of us, can't wait 20 seconds to use the road in your turn then please use another road that you are capable of using.

Thank you and now please carry on.

tamarillo, Sep 7, 2:48am
Are they also hilly roads? Maybe they are using the downhill traffic gives way to uphill traffic rule, which I've always thought was stupid.

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 3:06am
Try diving a truck and then say it's stupid.

intrade, Sep 7, 3:12am
cars are vastly larger also now. Trucks used to be huge , now they are not appearing big no more next to all these new cars , Your roads did not grow just the cars are emmens larger now outside not inside by much
http://s3.motoringfile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/car_photo_369484_25.jpg

tony9, Sep 7, 3:22am

tamarillo, Sep 7, 3:23am
Ok, what has that got to do with it?

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 3:28am
Uphill trucks always have the right of way, because it is important for the uphill truck to maintain momentum. The rule probably stems from when early vehicles were using the streets and hill starts weren't ideal. Not like modern day vehicles where they're no big deal.

seadubya, Sep 7, 3:32am
Much easier for downhill traffic to get going from stopped than it is for uphill. Especially noticeable when you have some weight on, or have to double clutch. Amazing how many people have never heard of it though, loads of "thin" roads around the Coromandel, many of which have road maggots or logging trucks on, and they really appreciate it if they don't have to stop on an uphill.

tamarillo, Sep 7, 3:33am
Ah I get you. We used the opposite rule decades ago out at karekare as it was known many cars, especially with horse float, wouldn't have enough brakes left at the bottom of the hill!
Anyways, the official reasoning for the rule is that it makes downhill drivers more aware which, because of the possibility of gaining speed, is considered the salient point.
Whether that's the original reasoning I rather doubt!

tweake, Sep 7, 3:41am
still needed these days. not so much due to engine power but traction is another issue, even for cars. even for me if i'm pulling a load i have to have hubs in for 4x4 in case i start spinning out going up the hill.

the other thing is if the truck has to stop and restart then your going to be waiting a while as he crawls up the hill in low range.

v8_mopar, Sep 7, 4:03am
Some are on hills but the down hill traffic must stop. Also the car parks are facing down hill so both rules work.

henderson_guy, Sep 7, 4:11am
Can you imagine the torque stresses on the axles, driveshafts etc to try and get 50 ton moving on a hill? Never mind the heavy haulage trucks, they just don't stop, end of.

johotech, Sep 7, 4:17am
Is it Argyle St & Bradshaw st that you are referring to?

Bradshaw st actually has room for two normal sized cars to pass the parked cars, but most people don't seem to know where the left side of their car is, and need to drive a metre away from the parked cars!

tweake, Sep 7, 4:18am
yeah huge. its not kind on the clutch either.
or the road !

tweake, Sep 7, 4:20am
and they have no issue with driving head on into oncoming traffic

johotech, Sep 7, 4:21am
Well that's what I do towards the people who should be giving way.

v8_mopar, Sep 7, 4:23am
#13 that would be two of them. Bradshaw seems to tapper as you go along but as you say some people cant judge distance or ever park close to the kerb.

johotech, Sep 7, 4:33am
As you brought up parking, what's with all these people parking facing the wrong direction recently? Are they all new UK immigrants or what? Maybe they are just lazy.

tweake, Sep 7, 5:39am
probably just the thing to do at the moment.
always get things like that doing the rounds of the pub, bowling club etc.

beetle1234, Sep 7, 5:53am
I lived in Dunna,s for year,s, regardlese if the truck was up or down,alway,s give way, but there again I do drive one an if in the car,will stop an let em go, I think forward as common sense is well his bumper is bigger than my car. But that is just what I think when I drive.

tintop, Sep 7, 8:06am
Its pretty much understood in NZ that downhill traffic gives way to uphill.

tintop, Sep 7, 8:13am
Karekare and Piha people have always been strange :)

The ones that try to drive an artic up Mountain Road are strange also. :)

duckmoon, Jul 23, 10:11am
OT: the other variable is whether or not it is a hill.

down hill traffic gives way to uphill