Old Chev conking out 27 Capitol

vintage01, Nov 19, 4:26am
Yep,drove fine for 40 minutes,then conked, got going again,then conked again,picked up,but no [power,then stopped.,coasted to stand still,had look under lid,blamed fuel,but heaps in system,started up OK,another,K then same story.Again and again till finally got home. Next day cleaned Fuel system,Vacuum tank, filter and Carb,Blew out jets with air,looks lot better,BUT just wondering if it could be electrical,maybe Condenser.or Coil. Cleaned points and reset,bit gray but no pitting,Starts OK in shed,but wondering if old condensor,might be breaking,down,?ANY THOUGHTS.

gettinggrey, Nov 19, 4:31am
Had one old car that stopped like that.
Turned out it was a loose baffle in the muffler.
The baffle would flick up now and then and block the exhaust.
Car would stop, baffle would now fall down again, car would start until I hit a bump (or whatever) and then car would stop again.
Bloody cars get sneakier and sneakier.

budgel, Nov 19, 8:57am
I had a similar issue with a blocked tank cap vent.

snoopy221, Nov 19, 9:41am
Only takeee a widdle weee bit of rubber off a fuel line to sit on top of zee needle valve ta [Have ya say in zee King's best English-**Oh whatF***-un]
Also grey non pitted points could be from sitting-over a winter or so and loss of relevant High Tension sparkin-due to resistance in points-low tension circuit
Hope This Helps. K

tmenz, Nov 19, 5:53pm
That's typical of a faulty capacitor (condensor) - change it on spec, cheap enough.

gsimpson, Nov 19, 5:58pm
Check this. You would get a vacuum forming in the fuel tank causing fuel starvation.

rob_man, Nov 19, 6:32pm
This, it's the easiest thing to eliminate and cheap. Also classic condenser symptoms.

tintop, Nov 19, 7:00pm
I had a friend that used to work for BOAC on piston engined aircraft.

If you think it is the carbs, the fuel system, the fuel, a blocked pipe, etc. Check the electrics!

vintage01, Nov 19, 8:26pm
Thanks every one,Kevin

pfemstn, Nov 19, 11:18pm
when you cleaned the vacuum tank did you make sure its not clogged where the pipes go on one fitting has a gauze filter underneath, has caught me out before!

elect70, Nov 20, 2:45am
Just do the usual things we did in good old days , fuel filter, plugs points condenser leads . garaunteed to fix it . No need for $150 hr men in white coats .with computer .

purple666, Nov 20, 4:04am
My old 33 dodge used to do that, with an accompaning backfire as time went by, tried all sorts, turned out to be the rotor stuffed.

vintage01, Sep 28, 1:36am
All Good now,Condeser,crook,Had Truck for 40 years,so about time it had a few hiccups,,giving it a good make over while,im at it. Headlight shell loose on rivet mounts,so dismantled bucket and hammered them tight,cleaned and polished,looks like it should be,good for another 40,cheers,keep on truckin.Kevin