Replacing our old Starlet

Page 1 / 2
saturn51, Sep 24, 10:54pm
The old reliable Starlet shopping trolley has seen better days and we thought time to retire it.We want an auto and like the look of the Triida,around 2006,1500 or 1800cc. The only thing causing concern are the letters "CVT".
Are these time bombs or do you only hear the bad things?
Could you recommend any other similar vehicle with a "normal" auto.
Thanks in advance.

tamarillo, Sep 24, 11:24pm
The tiida is cheap for a good reason and don't have a reputation for ageing well. Cvt box is a suspect, though I hear newer cvt boxes are now better. More expert opinions than mine will follow but generally that's the consensus when folk ask about them.
Search in old posts.
Frankly, get another Toyota, you'll pay more but if you intend to keep it a while it's worth it. Look at the Ist.

kazbanz, Sep 24, 11:41pm
The DIRECT replacement for your starlet is the Toyota Vitz or Echo later in NZ called the Yaris.
Going up a size you should look at the Toyota Alex. or Runx or corolla from 2001-2006
A lot of people "a dealer somewhere" has sold replacements for starlets to have gone to the 2002-2007 (dy series) Mazda Demios because they really are a modern replacement for the starlet.
another thought would be a Mazda 3 or Axella (same car) -they are alex/runx sized.
all three are normal auto. the vitz from 2006 on did go to CVT

petal_91, Sep 25, 1:58am
The DY Demio is in the highest costing ACC crash safety band which is strange as it had a 3 or 4 star NCAP crash rating. Anyway don't get a DY Demio or 2 if you want cheap rego.

intrade, Sep 25, 2:20am
There is nothing more reliable and bullet proof as the car you currently have . You can look at it as your old toyota is the therminator and all the new cars are built like paper planes . This is the reality of difference in reliability of your old toyota verses anything newer 2005 onwards.

bjmh, Sep 25, 2:27am
never knew you could make cold beer with a starlet. The Therminator?

kazbanz, Sep 25, 2:39am
yep--ANOTHER acc screw up.

rpvr, Sep 25, 4:27am
Comes naturally to them. Why are the echo/vitz, funcargo, ist and BB in different bands when they are essentially the same vehicle, mechanically at least. Does the body styling really make that much difference? I asked the question of ACC but they couldn't tell me.

The Vitz is quite a good replacement for the Starlet (we've had both). I even managed to figure out a (almost) cost free repair for those horrible cheap door handles they have, which keep breaking the spring housing leaving the handle sticking out.

ambo11, Sep 25, 4:55am
If you "must" have a Nissan CVT get it thoroughly checked by a CVT expert repair shop, then serviced immediately if you buy it. Then buy mechanical warranties. Enough said.

stevo2, Sep 25, 6:25am
Speaking of Tiidas, does anyone know what intervals the manufacturer recommends for CVT servicing?

kazbanz, Sep 25, 9:53am
Yep its 60000km and using Nissan cvt fluid

saturn51, Sep 25, 10:25am
Thanks for the replies.My thoughts on CVT have been confirmed by this and previous threads.I must admit to being confused by the same vehicles having different names,Vitz,Yaris etc.I drove a manual Vitz once and found it gutless,it may have been a small engine though?
Any chance of you opening a sales branch in Wellington kazbanz?

stevo2, Sep 25, 4:49pm
Thanks again Kaz.
Daughter is keen on an 1800cc model out of Auckland done about 70,000km.

kazbanz, Sep 25, 6:19pm
I would budget $400 to do the job stevo. Get it done right away before she forgets. and I would be wanting to be 110% certain the correct fluid was used.To the point of wanting to see the bottle it came out of. I know that seems to be anal but the saving of say $100 on fluid is out weighed by the potential of a $3000 tranz replacement.
Ohh hey with the 1800 version check the "dogbone" -top engine mount.The rubber gets soft and lets the engine rock back and forwards.
Also I strongly recommend seeing the compliance inspection sheet.

kazbanz, Sep 25, 6:29pm
Im sorry Saturn but I must qualify that.
CVT as a concept is BRILLIANT.nissan got it wrong with various parts of their earlier efforts and to be honest kiwi mechanics really did a bit of damage by not understanding that CVT fluid needed to be changed at 50-160k and you had to use the correct fluid.
In my experience TOYOTA CVT transmissions have proven to be as reliable as a normal auto tranz.
Sorry no that dealer in Auckland is unlikely to open a branch in Wellywood. but don't forget anywhere in the north island is less than a $400 truck ride from wellington

tamarillo, Sep 25, 7:59pm
Maybe because they have differing safety tech on board? Do they all have same suite of electronically safety stuff like esp? Same number airbags?

These things play a part in cars ratings, and there does seem to be variance between basically similar cars. Different markets have differing demands as to safety gear and when many of the models mentioned are jdm only it might mean big differences.
ACC don't do the ratings so can't expect them to tell you.

kazbanz, Sep 25, 8:03pm
nope sorry tam Ist/vitz same equipment same chasis.
fact is ACC have screwed up royally by yet again not doooing the ground work properly

fordcrzy, Sep 25, 8:21pm
what are the mazda 2 CVT's like in the newer models?

kazbanz, Sep 25, 8:26pm
frankly I see the ACC screwup in the exact same light as the total muckup with the fuel economy ratings They didn't get it right then and they didn't get it right this time.
incidently there is industry representation paid to raise these issues.maybee Im deaf but they have been very very quiet

kazbanz, Sep 25, 8:28pm
To be honest I haven't driven a mazda 2 to comment. The Mazda Demio though seems to be good.

fordcrzy, Sep 25, 8:46pm
sorry yes i meant demio . sis is looking for another car in the 5-7k bracket but most of the hatches in that bracket are cvt. she is OOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEERRRR unreliable cars

kazbanz, Sep 25, 9:38pm
5-7 is DY series demios --ie last shape -the boxy kind. They are normal auto.

stevo2, Sep 26, 6:51am
Thanks Kaz, if she does go ahead with this car (which is certainly not a "done deal") a trans service will be a high priority.
The car had a strange noise which only happened on acceleration, kind of like an induction roar but not really. Wouldn't do it while driving normally or while stationary with a few revs.
The dealer said it is booked in to repair but we are not keen to commit until the job has been done. Sometimes its a bit hard dealing with dealers when English is their second language. Something we are not used to down here.

nzoomed, Sep 26, 6:57am
CVT is supposed to be better nowdays but i still wouldnt own one.

_peas, Sep 26, 8:17am
Correct me if I'm wrong but the ACC data used was from actual crash and injury data (not specifically NZ if I recall). So if a certain submodel happened to be involved in more accidents it was penalised for this despite being technically as safe as similar models with respect to airbags, ABS etc.