Honda Torneo inner tie rod removal

radar51, Apr 19, 3:31am
1998 car.
It looks like you need either a crows foot tool or torch type tool to remove it. Has anyone done this or have useful experience here. I havnt purchased either tool just yet and may not do the job depending on the difficulty.

mechnificent, Apr 19, 3:38am
Two inch water pipe with a hole drilled in the side and a nut welded on so a bolt can be wound into the nut, through the hole, and up against the ball joint's flat. Take the outer ball joint off, slip the pipe over the tie-rod and the inner ball joint, adjust the bolt, use a pipe wrench or a bar through some holes to turn the "tube-spanner". And you'll be able to lend the tools to your mates after.

radar51, Apr 19, 3:51am
wow. If that works , its a great idea.

mechnificent, Apr 19, 3:54am
It works on most cars.
If you drill the pipe and tap it's hole so the bolt's threads run in the nut and the pipe's threads, it's pretty strong and can grip ball joints that don't have flats even.

franc123, Apr 19, 5:32am
Depends on how much room there is to play with, a pipe wrench works well if you can swing it, otherwise for a one off it might be best to just pay someone who has the right tool. I bought one last year which makes the job very easy indeed on a whole variety of cars but the water pipe tool I have to say is a cheap and clever idea if you've got access to a welder. I'd change both of the inner rods while I was at it, the other one is probably not far off replacement if its not been done already, saves on wheel alignment charges later on if you are keeping it for a while.

mecanix, Apr 19, 6:28am
Or. a one size fits all tool from south pacific tools.

It was thirty bucks about seven years ago.

radar51, Mar 6, 2:50pm
Ok.Its not likely to be a one off as I have 2 cars in that mileage zone.The other idea of replacing both is a good idea. SPT tools price is $117 delivered.
I just have to sure that that tool is the right one as there is an alternative from partsmaster ,and itm not sure that the pipe version is the correct one.