Narrowband oxy sensor

Page 2 / 2
morrisman1, Dec 6, 9:34pm
Ive also said already that it was independent. My broseph was sitting in the passenger seat with the wideband controller and gauge looking at the reading. The ECU knew nothing of the wideband other than that I had to remove the narrowband to use its socket in the turbo, so it stopped getting data from it. consequently my fault went away at the same time, whether that is a coincidence or not I think not, now I just need to work out why the ECU is upset with the narrowband.

bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 9:51pm
pretty simple intrade zirconia 02 sensor generates voltage titania pulls voltage down to 0 power fed from ecu the two are not interchangable. Morrisman has explained whats happening read the thread properly.

bigfatmat1, Dec 6, 9:59pm
Maybe the narrowband is upset because its sluggish and not switching fast enough the only way to know this would be on a scope ideally you are looking for 1 switche from rich to lean per sec 1hz. if you have been using racefuel you will stuff it in no time

intrade, Dec 6, 10:47pm
ok so you plugged a complete independend divise on the car to look at the readings on a independend screen . so was there any data sent to the ecu from your tool?
the thing is if you unplug the original sensor then logically the ecu wont get any information about the stochiometric 14.7 to 1 so goes in to open loop at all times .
So lets say your readings are correct on your independen tool of reading a lean condition at full load.
i already said what can cause this insufficient fuel pressure or flow will show lean readings in exhaust , you should also have power loss or burned pistons if it runs to lean for long its why it went in to limp mode to save the pistons from melting down with the lean condition at full load
and yes your right your tool should stay rich reading at full load if everything was correct not lean.
That is all based on what i think i understand from your postings so it might be wrong as i dont know 100% what you done its based on what i think you did.

intrade, Dec 6, 11:01pm
yes thats good true information
Also 1 herz is 1 time per secound its per 1 secound 50 herz is 50 times per secound so you can calculate how hard you been shaking tutching 50 hz mains power by the time it took you to let go again! , just something else lol.
Also you cant mesure it with a multimeter as a multimeter updates 1 or 2 readings in 1 to 2 secounds and then it takes the average of the 2 readings to display on the screen so multimeters are out. and a scope is required to get true reading backprobing live the sensor for real time data the same date the ecu gets sent from the sensor, that is the only real live data and the data to trust to be true.

morrisman1, Dec 6, 11:47pm
The independent wideband, which in no way was connected to the ECU read normal AFR indications throughout all driving conditions. By normal I mean:

13.5 cruise (rich because in open loop with narrowband disconnected)
11.0 WOT (stock ECU on an early turbo, so very rich but normal for this type of car)
12.0 under moderate load acceleration.
22+ under deceleration (fuel cut).

I never said the independent wideband indicated a lean mixture.

intrade, Dec 7, 12:16am
i just looked GTIR is mid 90s vehicle nissan as you did not mention it as far as i can see . Did you write down the codes befor erasing? and how did you read out any codes? oem level scanners is the best way to read out codes if it was obd2 you would read out the global ob2 and the oem codes but if its 90s it wont be obd2 on nissan

also if you unplug a sensor it cant use it logically and it wont use it
i slowly become a more clear picture of what you try to say so clear that part up please
What did you do to read out codes and how did you erase them.

intrade, Dec 7, 12:25am
i show you why i missunderstood you there cut and paste from post 1

"It reads the normal fluctuations at cruise and idle, but at WOT reads lean"
End of cp

thats how i got to this conclusion of wot=wide-open throttle i assumed the wot was driving pedal to the floor looking at the data somehow.

morrisman1, Aug 6, 5:53pm
Im not sure why that confused you. Never mind, I think we might be on the same page now