Where can you purchase Kerosene in .

Page 1 / 2
race_hemi, Sep 27, 3:45am
bulk. Not bulk bulk but like taking your 20L container in and they fill it up. Any garage used to sell the stuff but the local ones i have tried have these spotty looking teenagers trying to sell me 20 friggin 1L bottles of the stuff for too much coin now days. Anyone?
Cleaned out my Kero bath and need to refill. I was going to use a 50/50 mix of diesel/petrol if i couldn't source the Kero. I know diesel strips stuff pretty good if it left to soak a while. But has anyone tried a mix of diesel and Petrol? Does the petrol evaporate? The bath is covered and the stuff in there ranged from Kero, thinners, turps . and any other potent shit that everyone reckoned would catch a light and/or burst into flames. Bullshit. Views? Cheers.

skin1235, Sep 27, 3:57am
why not use a proper degreaser, tergo comes to mind, If I remember rightly it had better quality than kero for about the same price, was also safe enough to run through a pump ( which also meant it could be plumbed through a filter - either continuously or as required), it also doesn't have the excessive evap factor of kero

skin1235, Sep 27, 4:03am
yes petrol will evap, and the dangers of petrol fumes should be enough to put anyone off using it in a wash bath, the skin damage to operators isn't that nice either - get to 45 and find you virtually have to leave the trade because your skin is so damaged that you physically cannot do it anymore is a bit of a shock too
OSH and the other works safety systems while being a right pain in the arse are evidently needed for some people though, who'd have though that earplugs when grinding, with glasses, could have meant not needing hearing aids by 55 or needing eye surgery at 50
do yourself a favour, and your lungs, eyes, hands etc and use a proper product

race_hemi, Sep 27, 4:12am
No skin mate, I am not going to use purpose made degreaser stuff. All of the stuff available on the domestic market (IMHO) is shit for the money. I'm old school and want near hot tank performance from a cheap arse setup, lol. There is no pump in my parts washer. There used to be an air one but it shit itself the first time thinners was run through it. Just soaking, a brush and some elbow grease gets it done for me. I make judicious use of compressed air and rags to finish everything off. The stuff that had been in there that i just dropped, had been in there for near a couple of years i guess. it gets used off and on. Its not all out every day with big arse dirty stuff if you know what i mean. I am wondering if the diesel will slow down the evaporation of the petrol (if it works like that)

race_hemi, Sep 27, 4:15am
Oh! i posted the above not realizing you'd said some more. Hmmmm. Point taken - but yeah nah. Cheers for the input dude. You still up in Wanga's? My LN106 is still farking kickin, lol!

rob_man, Sep 27, 4:17am
Pity you're not up here, I have 40L of petrol/diesel I have to get rid of.

h.e, Sep 27, 4:18am
Thought about avgas?

mggd, Sep 27, 4:20am
Try your local helicopter refueling area, as far as I know some run on some sort of kero mix?

skin1235, Sep 27, 4:23am
it will still evaporate to some degree. petrol will not stop that, it will probably speed it up - and from memory even straight diesel is prone to evap until it gets a good load of dirt etc in it, same with straight kero, agree the real stuff is not cheap, and yep the air pump units were nearly as useless as tits on a bull,
kero can still be got in 20lt cans, clutch and brake here in the wanga area sell it, take bottle in etc, theres an oil crew out tremaine ave way that used to have it down your way, price re kero V diesel?
used to stir it all up on friday night before lockup, then drain it into a cleaned 12 gal drum, pour it back in on Sat morning , leaving all the crap in the drum - and check the sludge, often found that missing circlip etc

race_hemi, Sep 27, 4:24am
Yeah re the Av gas . but I have no mates out up in Ohakea anymore. I was considering going out to the flying school here at the PN airport and seeing if i could contribute to their piss drinking fund . but wanted to hear thoughts on the petrol/diesel mix thingy first though. Hmmmm . skins got a point re the smell of the gasoline though. hmmmm.

skin1235, Sep 27, 4:25am
ln106?

mggd, Sep 27, 4:26am
NZ chemical supplies on google has details that you might want, bulk purchase of kero, 20-200ltr

ladatrouble, Sep 27, 4:34am
The light ends of petrol evap and it stinks like turps and doesn't clean shit. I just use diesel at home, everything else just disapears in summer even with a lid. Kero is good (('m old school like that too) but a solvent parts wash is not too bad. A solvent based degreaser that washes off in water is excellent, but don't get any water in your tank. I used to get my stuff from Recycled Solvents, half price or less than the stuff they sell in 20's. They add a bit of potion to turn the partswash into degreaser. it's the same stuff.

race_hemi, Sep 27, 4:35am
Cheers,

bdog02, Sep 27, 4:36am
Your local Caltex oil distributor should have it. They sell 20 litre containers or 1litre bottles. Turbo and diesel in wellington are the nearest ones i can think of unless there is a caltex dealer in P. North.

race_hemi, Sep 27, 4:37am
Churr, ta for the insight.

race_hemi, Sep 27, 4:47am
Yeah, you used to have (maybe still got) a LN65 or a Surf or something. Ruff as f. k you reckoned. I reckoned mine was ruffer. I had broked' my gearstick in my Luxer and you gave me the good oil/DIY way of fixing it. I fixed it and now it feels like a later model cruiser . ok not quite but its going strong as. It is still going up a dollar a week in worth and i still fret about it being pinched when I leave it parked in town, lol (friggin rarely now) The scrap price paid at the yard has drop down to an even hundy now. If its not a Luxer, one of the Aussie big 3 earlier than the first Commodore or a 1980 or earlier Jap . then its worth a hundy. Lol! Just about every car discussed on here . every souless piece of turd . one hundyyyyy! :) I am luvin it. Keep old or get screwed, I say.

m16d, Sep 27, 5:16am
Go talk to your local ag pilot. what you need is JetA1 which is kero with no colour in it. don't touch Avgas. it's full of lead.

tony9, Sep 27, 5:39am

mrcat1, Sep 27, 6:15am
Avgas is basically high octane petrol and JetA1 is just kero, any areo club should sell you some.

m16d, Sep 27, 7:36am
Avgas is crap fuel that's full of lead. and I don't know any aeroclub that'll sell JetA1

skin1235, Sep 27, 9:25am
gotcha now, sold the ln65, the man begged me, , he had it about 3 months and was told by the local plod to sell it - fast, think it actually ended up down your way

carclan, Sep 27, 10:23pm
Funny, I used kerosene in my two stroke motorbike when I was a high school as it was cheaper than petrol, had to start it on petrol though.

mrcat1, Sep 28, 12:55am
No, its good quality fuel full of lead, actually meant airfield, and most ag pilots wont have JetA1 unless the Fletcher has had a turbo prop fitted, some have been uprated and had them fitted, most haven't and still have Lycoming O-720 horizontally-opposed eight-cylinder engines fitted.

elect70, Sep 28, 2:30am
Probably need to get from oil co depot in that quantity . Gone are the days petrol stations had kero or white spirits in 44 gal drums .