Crossover vehicles

Page 1 / 2
christin, Oct 26, 10:34pm
Looking at getting one of these as I like the idea of a hatch, without being a small nana type one, a station wagon or a too big SUV .

Any recommendations or ones to avoid ? I like Honda HRV, nissan qashqai and mazdA cr3.

Any other models out there recommended? Around the same price if possible :-)

Thanks

woody1946, Oct 26, 10:49pm
Suzuki S -Cross

trogedon, Oct 26, 11:06pm
Stationwagon.

smalltrader2, Oct 26, 11:32pm
Don't know about Qashqai. Get the HRV for utility/space or get the CX3 for the fun to drive. CX3 only has 264L boot vs HRV which has 437L boot. The HRV boot is even bigger than the CX5 !

If you want AWD then CX3 is the only way to go. CX3 is based on the Mazda 2 platform whereas HRV is based on the Jazz platform. Personally I think the CX3 is a better looker than the HRV though HRV is not ugly either.

If you are single or couple without kids, CX3 is a great car. If you got kids in tow then HRV is likely to be a better fit. To each his/her own though. Why don't you test drive both.

serf407, Oct 26, 11:36pm
Ford Kuga as a comparison.

christin, Oct 26, 11:54pm
I don't want or need AWD so won't go for that.

If I had to pick one now I like the HRV , did have my mind on the qasqhai but that was a year or two or so ago that there wasn't the options

Single, no kids but do like the bigger space of hrv due to moving stuff or buying stuff to do work in house etc,

Never thought of those other models so will have a look. What about buy said, ix35 or something g?

Thanks

christin, Oct 26, 11:54pm
I will test drive but just asking in case there is one recommended over another, or ones to avoid

christin, Oct 26, 11:56pm
I did look at ford kuga but the price was a bit past the others. That was a couple of years back when a friend wS interested so may have changed

smalltrader2, Oct 27, 12:02am
Both the CX3 and HRV are both based on proven technology and platform. They both should be reliable one would hope.

Judging from your key criteria of utility and space, I suspect HRV is the way to go with its boot size and magic seats system to free up space.

I look at the CX3 before and the boot size concerned me. As I have said, I am envious of the HRV having a boot even bigger than the CX5 ! CX3 is a great looker though. You can't go wrong with HRV if utility is your top criteria.

Hyundai IX35 has just been replaced by the Tuscon. It is a bit old tech now. There are also Citroen Cactus and Nissan Juke. Personally I don't trust Citroen.

bwg11, Oct 27, 12:23am
Pick up a copy of the current issue NZ Autocar (November). They do a fairly fair comparison of the new Vitara and Honda HR-V. Same issue also reviews the CX-3. Personally, in that class, the only thing that would move me away from the 2WD S-Cross would be the larger luggage capacity of the HR-V, if I needed it.

christin, Oct 27, 12:30am
Thanks. Don't like the look of the juke. Not sure why but doesn't

Is the autocar online or paper copy only?

smalltrader2, Oct 27, 12:54am
Yes. I thought the Juke looks like a Joke, perhaps not as bad as the Fiat Multipa :-)

Both the Mazda CX3 SkyActiv platform and the Honda Jazz platform (which the HRV is based on) have proven reliability records. Not sure about the Suzuki Vitara as I have not owned Suzuki before.

christin, Oct 27, 1:28am
I liked the Nissan originally also because I've had a Nissan for the past ten years and it's been an awesome car. Still is but bored with it! Never had to do anything other than standard servicing.

Hyundai looks okay, but a bit pricier. Though also owned a Hyundai (admittedly years back now so they have changed) from 11 months old, and it broke down on me when it was two years old, and three years old (twice), as well as other problems so has put me off a little. I know it was Prob a lemon but impressions stick I guess.

If I do go for hrv will do the sport one as seems to have a few xtra and nice featurs for similar to the cost of a basic other model.

tamarillo, Oct 27, 2:16am
Are you looking at new?
A station wagon or large hatch with same running gear will be more economical and nicer to drive if you enjoy driving.

smalltrader2, Oct 27, 2:21am
I have owned many Honda models for the last 25+ years and most of them are well built and last the distance.

The HRV Sport Model looks like good value for the features that you get. Good luck with your car hunt.

christin, Oct 27, 2:30am
Yes. Will most likely go new, or near too if a good deal available (in the past have bought 1-2 year old cars for 11-12k. doubt I'd find that, but each time saved 20k for a year in age).

smalltrader2, Oct 27, 3:24am
To beat the depreciation game. Go a quality and reliable new vehicle and hold it for at least 5 years or preferably longer. The worst one can do is to buy new and change car every 2 - 3 years.

christin, Oct 27, 3:45am
That's what I've done so far. Bought three cars, first in 1992 which was a year old for $11k (which was good then as imports not as popular then), second in 1997 which was 11 months old (8000k on the clock!) for 12k and my latest in 2005 for 12k at 2 years old.

So 23 years three cars so do hold them for a while. First one the shortest but only because the next one was offered cheap, and the next one when that was written off!

Don't think I'll find my crossover that new or cheap so migth go brand new

smalltrader2, Oct 27, 5:12am
SUV and CUV are hugely popular and a good quality SUV and CUV will depreciate a lot less than standard sedan, wagon or hatch. IMHO, it is worth buying new a good quality SUV or CUV and hold it long term.

For my own experience, the Honda CRV (1st, 2nd and 3rd gen) holds its value very well when compared to Accord, Civic, Integra, Odyssey.

christin, Oct 27, 5:29am
Yeah I'm not expecting to get the same price as my other lot. Which is why I'll prob go new. I can afford to, just in the past the 20k Or more I've saved for one or two years was better spent elsewhere :-)

Will hold the new one for a long time,

woody1946, Oct 27, 5:50am
Suzuki S-Cross is loaded with extras for the price, however it has a smaller 1.6 motor, but still peppy and economical --line up what you get for the price--check it http://www.suzuki.co.nz/automotive/s-cross/ http://www.suzuki.co.nz/Automotive/S-Cross/S-Cross+1.6+LTD+2WD/

stevo2, Oct 27, 6:03am
I bought a new S-Cross Ltd for Mrs Stevo about 3 months ago and she loves it. More-so than the Mazda3 she had before it.
It doesnt excell at anything but it does nothing wrong either.
If you're a keen (enthusiastic) driver like me you may find the electric power steering a little vague and may be keen on a little more power, but for 95% of the population it is perfect. The 1.6lt is a re-tuned version of the engine in the Swift Sport.
The trip computer in ours is showing 6.2lt/100km over its total distance of 3000km.

brapbrap8, Oct 27, 6:13am
Mitsubishi ASX is good value for the price too, might be bigger than the others since it is based on the Lancer rather than small cars like the others you are talking about are.

darryl, Oct 27, 6:37am
Keep in mind the HRV is a cvt auto, and the CX3 is a more traditional auto.

Some people dont like cvt auto's

christin, Oct 27, 6:51am
I think my current car is cvt. I'm a female who knows bigger all about cars but have heard some don't like cvt.

Will look at the Suzuki thaks