Galaxy of cars

appleman71, Feb 1, 1:15am
Wow! amazing!

tgray, Feb 1, 7:19am
How did the rain affect the show?

monzaman, Feb 1, 7:34am
Rain didn't affect show,maybe less people but more umbrellas,had my car on show there,only one of its type.

lissa25, Feb 1, 7:42am
Wotcha got monzaman? is it a monza.

toyboy3, Feb 1, 7:48am
I didn't go as I didn't want to get the velvet painting and cacti plants wet

monzaman, Feb 1, 7:59am
Yep,as in Opel,NZ new,bit like mid 80's commodore but lift-back,very few in north island now.

monzaman, Feb 1, 8:07am
My pick for coolest car in the show was a 59 Dodge Custom Royal-loved it!

lissa25, Feb 1, 8:33am
I remember seeing them around, haven't seen one on the road for a very long time. Sounds like I missed a great day, was planning to go in the mini, but 2 puking kids put the kybosh on that.

poppy62, Feb 1, 8:34am
Wrecked one of those!

monzaman, Feb 1, 8:56am
You b. d-kidding,will also be at Ellerslie next sunday.

socram, Feb 1, 9:19am
Yup. I skipped Galaxy this year Monzaman and Ellerslie last year, so it will be Ellerslie next week. Pity my car isn't quite ready, but getting closer (I've been saying that for the last 9 years. ) Will have the plates MONZA8. As in "MON ZA 8".

tunni, Feb 1, 6:03pm
It's not the event it was 5 years ago, it seems to be dominated by mainly Brit cars nowadays and the quantity of cars looks to be about 50% of what it was. Not sure what/who has driven the changes?
Going back a few years there was a good mix of Brit, Euro, Australian and U.S. cars but there's just not the variety anymore. Great atmosphere and venue but not enough cars.

tgray, Feb 1, 6:41pm
Yes, Ellerslie next Sunday.
I wonder if the Jaguar XJ220 will be there again this year?

vjregal770, Feb 1, 6:49pm
Agreed. Galaxy used to be my pick of the annual shows, the variety used to be amazing. There were large gaps in the infield so I assume whole clubs never attended. Had my car there, got around everything in about an hour and a half, got home just before 12pm.

Don't know if the organizers have lost the plot or what but it sure isn't what it used to be.

socram, Feb 1, 6:50pm
The same comment was passed last year, but correct me if I am wrong, but this event used to be a British Car Show when it was held November each year and has been expanded.

At this time of the year, I just wonder if the fact that we have just had two weekends of Hampton Downs and the Kumeu Show and with Ellerslie and Leadfoot next week, that maybe the timing isn't ideal? It certainly affected my decision.

Personally, I don't care much for the restriction that you can't remove a display car before 3pm as not every owner wants to be there all day.

tunni, Feb 2, 12:05am
I'm not sure of the history of the event regarding starting as a Brit car show. I started going along around 12 years ago and even then there was a real variety of makes and models from most countries. I have displayed cars at times but that stopped about 3-5 years ago when I was told display car entry was restricted to car club members only. It would be a shame if it continued to decline as there aren't too many car shows in the central Auckland area and this had always been one of the better ones.

socram, Jul 12, 4:18pm
I thought the original was "The British Car Show" organized by Rotary or the Lions held early November.

I'm not sure how long the 'Galaxy of Cars' has been going but wasn't aware it was clubs only, so that might well explain the lower support. I rarely take a car as part of a club but if any club committee or secretary bins the request for the club to participate, then obviously there won't be any.

Ellerslie used to operate on the basis that the host club who man the gates could use their discretion and there was always a specific area for the odds and sods - and this was often more interesting than some of the club stands, where you still tend to see the same cars year after year.

Several clubs pulled out of Ellerslie as they didn't want to be in the concours - which is a real shame, as they don't have to be concours to be interesting.