Honda CR-V 1996

feebee10, May 21, 11:59pm
What are these like on fuel? thinking of getting one as a second car which will be used for mainly open road driving, not a main car or used to go long distends anything we should look out for when buy one of these?

zak410, May 22, 12:01am
10l/100km

tamarillo, May 22, 12:20am
If you're worried about fuel the same engine in a saloon eg accord, or smaller in hatch eg civic will be more economical. Less weight, less frictional losses etc. But they don't have the high seat position of course.

ralphdog1, May 22, 1:12am
This will be a good real world guide, I would ignore the 1996 results, only 1 vehicle, but 1997-2000 is the same vehicle pretty much and that gives you a sample of over 200 different drivers.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/cr-v

richardmayes, May 22, 1:33am
They come in 2WD and 4WD models - you could buy a 2WD model, and avoid carrying around the weight and mechanical complications of the dual pump 4WD back axle.

It is the kind of 4WD that is normally only front-wheel-drive; the rear wheels only engage if/when you start spinning the front wheels. So they are good for parking on grass or step driveways without getting stuck, but not really for serious off-roading or towing.

I've never owned one, but according to the Honda fans the back axle works by a clutch that is automatically controlled by two hydraulic pumps, and they are a bit prone to giving trouble when the mileage gets up.

feebee10, May 22, 1:33am
Thanks is there anything else we should look out for with these?

msigg, May 22, 1:44am
Yes they are excellent, my partner has one that's up to 250k is is still going well, check at the front of the roof rails for rust, we can get 600km to the tank on a trip, which is all good, if you put your foot down around town the will drink it a bit, the engine is basic and bullet proof, like all the modern engines you must do the radiator coolant/corrosion, not doing this stops more car engine's than anything else. The cam belts are done every 100k.

feebee10, May 22, 7:48am
Thanks all, msigg is your 4wd or 2wd?

msigg, May 23, 5:37am
Hi, just seen the post, ours is a standard machine, 4wd, we bought it at 100k and have done 150k in approx 8 years, I don't drive it much, I have the big 4x4, we have done some 8x trips auck to wellington in it, my wife uses it everyday for work and loves it, it has good vision and very roomy. To date it has cost us a cambelt, 1 x pack of honda oil for the rear diff and general oil/cooland changes. Very reliable. The automatic trans is not as smooth or good as our Toyota , but the Toyo is one of the best around. Like everything that ages the paint is not as good now and we don't care too much about it, just goes and goes.

gmphil, May 23, 9:17am
sein a few that era with bad rust round front screen !

wayned, May 23, 9:27am
parents got a 2000, NZ new same model, with just under 300k on it. Still goes well, no smoke. Had since 140k, done shocks and the only normal maintenance.
Negatives - handles like a SUV - Large turning circle - now got noisy tappets.
Got a leaky sump plug from so many oil changes.

kazbanz, May 23, 9:31pm
Feebee- the 1996 Honda CRV was in my opinion the best "softroader" available in 1996. To clarify.IN 1996 they were only AWD
They were what was called on demand awd which was an oxymoron because you could personally demand as much as you liked . if the computer says you only need 2wd it was 2wd you got.
They for what they are are quiet and comfortable to drive.
BUT we are 19 years along now and they are showing their age.
The areas ibetween the roof rails and front screen are known to rust badly.If not properly repaired it spreads.
The rear drive 19 years on is giving issues.
But they also still command a good price compared to other vehicles of the age/milage.
Frankly bang for buck in 2015 I can think of any number of better/more economical vehicles.

richardmayes, May 25, 12:36am
I didn't think there is a computer involved. ?

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/honda/

(Apologies for nit-pick)

zak410, May 25, 1:02am
True that;
Also, I do lot of driving on metal roads and find this 4wd system to work very well on those.

kazbanz, Sep 16, 6:12pm
Why did I think it was computer controlled? -mehh point being the awd can/does give issues 19 years on./