Would this recall affect commodore

3tomany, Nov 1, 12:53am
or are the 3.8 commodore engines using a different gasket http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2015/10/30/gm-tells-owners-park-garages-fix/74860466/ surely someone here will know

tamarillo, Nov 1, 5:11am
Holden built the v6 in Aussie so expect they used locally sourced gaskets etc.
According to that report hot oil may leak onto manifold during heavy braking. So car should be parked outside until recall done.
Don't see a lot of parked cars braking heAvily.

3tomany, Nov 1, 8:00pm
I thought the 3.8 was american made? will do some googling get back to ya.

3tomany, Nov 1, 8:14pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine Heaps of info here it even says the holden was affected with 1.5 million cars recalled in 2009. Engine was built in flint michican.

tamarillo, Nov 1, 8:27pm
Fair enough. Always thought they made, if at least assembled the thing in Aussie but obviously not always!
Op, so answer is yes, and it might already have the modified parts.

3tomany, Nov 1, 8:37pm
yea was hoping a holden expert would have the answers for us. The other thing is i read years ago that that engine was the most popular choice for boats in USA so i wonder if they get affected as well.

vtecintegra, Nov 1, 8:55pm
They definitely built the old 3.8 in Australia (although I think early on some were imported from the states)

treachug, Nov 2, 12:18am
The part number for the rocker cover gaskets are GM USA & the part number for the rocker covers are Holden Australia. With the GM worldwide part number system you can tell (by the part number) the model & country origin & (to a degree) the year range. If I remember correctly Holden took the base Buick engine & majorly modified it through the years so the leaky gasket is probably not applicable. Haven't heard of the recall when I was working at the dealer.

dvince, Nov 2, 12:39am
I'm sure all those cars affected in USA are transverse FWD setup. So oil is unlikely to drop on exhaust on RWD Holdens, under heavy breaking.

hyphen, Nov 2, 1:44am
the Buick / GM odd fire V6 is NOT the same as the Aussie 3800 V6 as used in Commodores, just saying.

franc123, Nov 2, 1:50am
Yes I thought that too, the Yanks in all the time that engine has been used in Holdens here has only been fitted in east-west configuration. When the VN was being developed the 3800 V6 was referred to within GMH as the BOC engine, which stood for Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac. it was used in their FWD compacts.

3tomany, Nov 2, 2:42am
thanks also this sounds very feasible.

3tomany, Nov 2, 2:53am
you could be correct the next generation built in aussie was called ecotek i think and the affected engine in the recall was series 2 built at flint. I might be wrong but the ecotek was all alloy? edited: now i am confused uplifted from long article. / Holden's Global V6 Engine plant is located in Port Melbourne, Victoria. It opened in 2003 at a cost of $400 million. The state-of-the-art facility gives Holden considerable flexibility in the range of engines it can produce for local and international customers including: 2.8, 3.0 and 3.6 litre variants. Holden exports its V6 engines to South Korea, China and Mexico for a number of GM brands.

franc123, Nov 2, 5:41am
You are confusing three different generations of V6 engine, the Ecotec was used from VS to VY and was a development of the previous old Buick engine used VN-VR and were fully cast iron pushrod jobs, all those fitted to Commodores were 3.8L. VZ upwards use the Alloytec all alloy quad cam unit referred to in the above article which is sold globally and is available in a variety of specs and power outputs including turbo and direct or non direct injected forms and in the listed capacities as above depending on application. Its used in Commodore, Captiva and Insignia currently in the local market.

intrade, Nov 2, 5:53am

franc123, Nov 2, 6:00am
Oh for goodness sake, if you happen to own an affected vehicle Holden will contact you, there is no need for any action until this happens if it happens. If you don't own one don't worry about it.

gmphil, Dec 1, 9:32am
the aussie earlly v6 vn was derived from the buick v6 of usa but these problems in link dont affect us !