Who's panelbeater to use? his or mine?

jgoater, Sep 2, 3:52am
I hit a cars bumper recently and we have decided it's not worth going through insurance to fix it.
I have accepted full liability and am going to pay to get it fixed.
Trouble is, they want to use their panelbeater who they trust and I want to use mine, who I know as a friend and will give me a heavily discounted rate.
Their quote is $600 and mine is $200.
Who should get to choose?

tony9, Sep 2, 3:56am
Your insurance company. Highly unlikely you will escape with more money in your pocket and less hassle by handing it over to the insurance company.

rpvr, Sep 2, 4:11am
Exactly. What if they agreed to use your panelbeater, then said the repairs were not to an acceptable standard? Such arrangements are likely to open a can of worms.

lookoutas, Sep 2, 7:24am
Unfortunately for you, they have the right to choose.

At that price of $600, you should claim. And if there's any damage to yours then ring that in too.
If you've done $600 to theirs, you must have damage as well.

If their Beater is ripping you off, that will sure as hell backfire when the Insurance Co gets involved. If it then finishes up less than your excess, you can cancel the claim and pay yourself. The Insurance Co's won't hold you to anything.

Edit:- I am assuming this without knowing what your excess actually is. Most are around $300.

edangus, Sep 2, 9:01am
Theirs, followed by documentation with "full & final payment" clauses.

nightboss, Sep 2, 9:12am
How much have you paid to the insurance company over the years?
And for what?
So that when the very circumstance that you have insurance happens you just ignore all that money you invested with them.

cheapy11, Sep 4, 4:41am
A decent panel shop wouldn't paint a bumper for $200, let alone remove and repair it as required.
So put the shoe on the other foot. If it was YOUR car that got hit and YOUR panelbeater quoted $600 & theirs quoted $200, what would YOU want to do?

kazbanz, Sep 4, 4:46am
Whats YOUR excess? Given repairs to their car is $600 whats the damage to yours?

brapbrap8, Sep 4, 5:10am
Really?
The mrs pranged my car a couple of months back and it was $230 for rear bumper removed, plastic welded the crack, repaint whole piece, clear coat and refit.
From the flashest outfit in town too.
They did a good job, I certainly checked it carefully too.

lookoutas, Sep 4, 5:57am
You did really well then.

If that was an insurance job with the skin-flint of Co's, and working on the minimum repair for the crack of half'n'hour, and considering that nothing else such as tail lights/mudflaps needed to be removed to get the bumper off.
The price they would allow to do that job of say a medium sized bumper, would be $340.75. And that's @ $60/hr

skiff1, Sep 4, 6:19am
Unfortunately, it's possibly too late to get help from the insurance co, as the OP has admitted liability. Even when you know you are in the the wrong, and it is plain as day to everyone, the insurance co want you to protect their position.

lookoutas, Sep 4, 6:26am
Insurance Co's can't deny people honesty.
It's not too late - do the sums OP.

tgray, Sep 4, 6:34am
Perhaps it's worth driving to Huntly if it's that cheap.

stuartb2, Sep 4, 8:30am
Involve the insurance company. Your policy more than likely requires you to tell them anyway.

clark20, Sep 4, 9:30am
I just had a quote for $600 to paint the bumper, no repairs. Depends on the bumper as well I suppose.

lookoutas, Sep 5, 12:51am
That should paint 2 large bumpers.

tex-tickle, Sep 5, 5:52am
Insurance is still valid. Insurance doesn't only pay out when the insured is blameless. That is why we have insurance.
One of the questions on the claim form is (or similar) "Do you hold anybody else responsible for the damage ?".
We pay insurance so that we can afford to have mistakes.

Of course the insurance excess will have to be paid. That is most likely to be over $200.00.

skiff1, Sep 6, 12:46am
i know insurance companies pay out if it's your fault, but the do all have a clause where they can deny cover if you admit liabilty

lookoutas, Jul 26, 1:17am
Has to be very serious for them to worm their way out.