Insurance question

moby, Jun 15, 12:26am
Q: If a (fully licenced) family member backs my (comprehensively insured) van into the garage door, damaging van, door and house, is it a vehicle insurance issue or a house insurance issue ?.

pge, Jun 15, 12:33am
Vehicle

brapbrap8, Jun 15, 12:36am
Maybe a bit of both, if you are with the same insurance co for house and vehicle then they should sort it out themselves, but if you have different companies then probably need to notify both and the house insurance co will claim from the vehicle insurance co.

2sheddies, Jun 15, 12:41am
I would guess if it's your van and your house, that the family member who ran into it is authorised/covered by the insurance co when driving/crashing the van, and also assuming your house/car/contents insurance is all lumped together with the one company, a single claim would deal with everything.

But I'm by no means an expert.

kazbanz, Jun 15, 12:45am
IMO it will be three claims One vehicle .one,home and one ACC claim for the extraction of the boot from their.

clark20, Jun 15, 1:19am
And each claim has a separate excess

teamgjt, Jun 15, 1:43am
this exact thing happened to someone I know, (just not in a van) and it was 2 seperate claims and 2 excess,s

tony9, Jun 15, 3:07am
It should not, as there was one incident. We know this from Canterbury earthquakes where many incidents were claimed against both EQC and the insurance company as separate claims. But only one excess is paid.

clark20, Jun 15, 5:50am
I do not say what it should be, that is the way it is. There were TV ads with one company that stated they would not do that, cannot remember which. But it makes sense , they are different policies after all.

tamarillo, Jun 15, 6:48am
Is your policy allowing other drivers? Your policy might only allow named drivers so the car isn't covered. Or maybe your policy only covers drivers over 18? You need to check your policy, they're all different and no one here can tell you what is covered. Or just ring and ask the insurer.
If you claim on house they will simply (and quite fairly) go after the driver for recompense, so if they're not covered that won't work either.
Another angle is whether driver has full insurance on own car and whether that insurance gives them third party liability driving other people's vehicles. That would cover house and garage at least. Again, check it.

tjholding, Jun 11, 9:17am
If both are held with the same company it should be two claims, one excess (home to fix the home, vehicle to fix the car) with the highest excess applying.

If they are with different companies it will be a home claim with an excess, and a vehicle claim with a separate excess.

ETA: Work in the industry.