2004 toyota ist 1.3ltr- CVT transmission?

sue119, Jun 14, 8:42pm
Hi all. Im looking at buying the above vehicle but unsure if it has the CVT transmission? Google has said it is but on a differing page it says it is not. Does anyone own one and know? Thanks in advance

differentthings, Jun 14, 8:47pm
Ask the seller?, or what does it say on the gear selector. Should be something like this. 1,2.D,N,R,P with a OD switch or L,D,N,R,P

sue119, Jun 14, 8:50pm
I dont have a seller yet. I just have that car as one of my options. :)

sue119, Jun 14, 8:51pm
Are the selections listed differently if the cars CVT? Thanks for your help.

sue119, Jun 14, 8:57pm
They just have L,D,N,R,P

pc_uncorrect, Jun 14, 9:01pm
A trademe search of Toyota Ist, 2004 only, then clicked on 15 or so random cars, the photo's that clearly showed the automatic-console had 1,2.D,N,R,P with a OD switch.

Auction 890390227, Photo 11 & 12 shows the O/D switch
Auction 899940322, Photo 4 shows the auto console '1,2.D,N,R,P'

sue119, Jun 14, 9:04pm
Pc incorrect does that mean its not CVT

pc_uncorrect, Jun 14, 9:09pm
As far as i'm aware, 1,2.D,N,R,P with O/D switch means it's non-CVT (for clarity, it is not a CVT), and should be standard automatic transmission (willing to be corrected)

gunhand, Jun 14, 9:24pm
Wife has one, normal auto trans. Simple and reliable cars. If you are looking though see if you can find the 1.5ltr. The 1.3 is fine if you are buzzing around town and do the odd open road trip. The 1.3 will struggle with long hills if you are fully loaded up, but it will get there with some revving and a down change.
Mind you I see many a car slowing down considerably going over the likes of the Kilmog.
Cheap to run.

subarist, Jun 14, 9:26pm
All first generation models (May 2002-June 2007) were 4 speed auto. All second generation models are CVT (from July 2007) except the 1.8 model which retains an auto.

sue119, Jun 14, 9:27pm
Hi gunhand. Yes Im in Dunedin - your comment on the kilmog! This vehicle will only be used for trips to town over the motorway daily for work. We wont be using it as our taking away car. Do you think it will be fine for that? Thanks for everyones help

pc_uncorrect, Jun 14, 9:39pm
More than acceptable vehicle for your use. Gunhands advice on the slightly larger 1.5l engine is sound, and worth considering, other than the extra power, the 1.5 will offer better acceleration (good for around town), and possible fuel savings aswell (engine doesnt have to work as hard as the smaller engine).

gunhand, Jun 14, 9:46pm
If it's only the motor way you will be fine, does it include the first long climb from about Mosgiel? As I said they do do it but your just revving abit to keep it at 100kph, once on the flat the 1.3 will wizz along easy at 100kph and some if needed. They are no race car, but our roads are not race tracks (for most) so should be no issue at all.
And of course it won't pull up a steep street like you have up there from a stop start like a much larger capacity car would.
Find one and test drive it over your route and see what ya think.

kazbanz, Jun 14, 11:11pm
The 2003-2006 Toyota ist (first generation)is always normal 4 stage auto transmission regardless of engine size

tamarillo, Jun 15, 7:04am
So if you get the first gen your lumbered with only 4 speeds and a later one a cvt. hmmm.
First, second, third, fourth, eh where's top gear? Gone.

differentthings, Jun 15, 7:56am
Are you taking the piss?.

kazbanz, Jun 15, 7:59am
You haven't driven many ist's have you?

differentthings, Jun 15, 8:16am
Top gear finished when JC got fired. Have a guess what OD stands for.

gazzat22, Jun 13, 7:21pm
Like JeremyClarkson?