Toyota wish - does one stay away from these?

andrea49, Jun 11, 5:09am
looking at purchasing a Wish around 2004. I was told though they stopped importing these as they had too many problems with them. Can anyone confirm this? Other option is Mazda MPV 2,300 cc. Also a 2004 - any comments or suggestions? TIA

intrade, Jun 11, 5:27am
what exactly did you hear ? you should better go to mazda and ask for parts prices, you will quicksmart cross a rubbis mazda of your list once you get told how horrendous parts prices mazda charge if they even can get it at all.

msigg, Jun 11, 5:29am
No toyota wish is very good. others may be along to confirm this soon.

nesta129, Jun 11, 5:58am
Was at a compliance center today getting prices,talked to two of the workers there,who mentioned nearly every Mazda they get there has to be sandblasted for under-body rust!

gmphil, Jun 11, 6:36am
just don't park next to one ! I wish I hadn't now I have a wish size dent in my drivers door .
caught the slapper to ,she tryed to say wasn't them but her husband poor fellar red faced had to atmited must be bad luck then that ur door matchs perfect to dent .

but to op hear there good no personal experience tho

kazbanz, Jun 11, 6:43am
This is a blatant cut n paste from the Isis thread from earlier this week but the comments remain relevant.
TheWish is based on the Toyota corolla,feilder .
So as long as the vehicle is the 1800cc with the normal auto gearbox they are a darn good vehicle.
The 2000cc version unfortunately has the D4 engine which in NZ is a pretty bad engine.
In japan it runs really well --In NZ with our rubbish octane boosted gas --not good.
I refuse to stock anything with the 2.0l Toyota D4 engine because of the issues with it .The issue is the D4 engine. D4 is Toyota's version of The Mitsubisho GDi engine.
The idea is that unburnt gasses get recirculated and reburnt creating a cleaner exhaust emission.
What happens in NZ is that the combustion area and inlet tract get gummed up with "goop".
Some "mechanics" have tried the fix it in a can solution but reality is that there is only one solution. Pull the head off and clean everything out. a labourious and expensive repair.
The MPV and the wish aren't in the same size range.
The MPV competes with the Nissan presage,Toyota Ipsum etc whereas the wish competes size wise with the Mazda premacy,honda stream,its own brother the isis and the Nissan lafesta.
I think it will come down to --whats important -fuel economy or space. -they genuinely are not competing vehicles.
If sitting on the fence because the MPV has sliding doors then you might want to look at a Toyota Isis.

richardmayes, Jun 13, 8:58am
Kazbanz - do those problems occur even with our 98 octane?

fordcrzy, Jun 13, 9:00am
The 2.0 have those crappy cvt transmissons too. rule #1. dont buy an early 2000's cvt

lil_tarnz, Jun 13, 9:11am
my parents have had their wish for 4 years or so, never had a problem, great on gas, nice and quiet to drive

gammelvind, Jun 13, 9:36am
I have a 1998 D4 and run it on 98, sadly yes it still gums it up. Running it on synthetic oil and 98 does slow it down but it still happens.

kazbanz, Jun 13, 10:49pm
OUR 98 octane is basicly the same as 91 with a bunch of octane boosters added.so its rubbish fuel no matter what. Yep same effect

kazbanz, Jun 13, 10:52pm
Sorry dude--where did you get your information from?
Can you point me to the information that give failures of the TOYOTA CVT transmissions>?

fordcrzy, Jun 14, 6:57am
Try the toyota forums

gracey41, Jun 14, 8:15pm
Kazbanz, are you saying that if a person buys a fresh Jap import Isis 2 litre and runs it solely on 91 octane, then they should experience no motor problems? - or is our 91 octane also detrimental to the 2 litre Isis motor?

brapbrap8, Jun 14, 10:03pm
He is saying that 91 is terrible for them, and 98 is only slightly better.
Either way, expect to have issues.

kazbanz, Jun 14, 11:02pm
NO definitely NOT im saying that even running the higher octane wont solve the problem

gracey41, Jun 14, 11:31pm
Many thanks to brapbrap8 and kazbanz for clarifying that for me, so the message is as far as Isis vehicles go, look for an 1800cc motor

kazbanz, Jun 17, 3:29am
Gracey-isis,rav,wish,opa --all need to be 1800cc VVTI NOT the 2000cc version