96 Nissan mistral broken wiper?

nakiguy2, Aug 4, 8:31pm
Drivers side wiper has stopped. Passengers side still operates normally. Shaft/spline is intact, just has no drive. Do I have to investigate it from under the dash or from above?

intrade, Aug 4, 8:34pm
move the spline back and forward by hand or with plyers not to damage things with plyer or vice grips and listen for clonking noises and see if you can freely move the spline side to side

nakiguy2, Aug 4, 8:36pm
Yes. The movement is smooth and noise/clunkfree.

intrade, Aug 4, 8:39pm
if its loose like above then you have to get in to the mechanism down and see what faild and repair. most likely a worn joint . i had to engeneer a fix on my van because the ball had worn out the plastic cup and poped out and since new parts are rear for a mb140 ssangyoung istana i fixed it with a fork i made bolted to hold the joint in the cup.

intrade, Aug 4, 8:40pm
probably poped off the joint just below the spline if you dont hear clonk noise and its loose.

intrade, Aug 4, 8:46pm
investigate usually open bonnet remove the cover below windscreen the wipers mechanism it be under this cover dont damage winscreen

kazbanz, Aug 4, 8:56pm
Remove both wipers complete from the shaft
Open Bonnet.
Unscrew/unclip plastic trim panels.
you will see the problem right away

nakiguy2, Aug 4, 9:36pm
Arm has detached itself from the passengers side pivot joint. I got a g-clamp onto it, but it will not snap back togeather. Any suggestions?

a.woodrow, Aug 5, 9:02am
Buy a new genuine one from nissan. They range from about $40 to $70 usually

nakiguy2, Aug 5, 8:09pm
Arm or pivot?

intrade, Aug 5, 8:34pm
get your 300$ flashlight out and look around , then ask your self the question of how it works and why things you do dont work. you need to use your own head to figure things out , use it or lose it is a true statment for all human functions.
to my dad i said man stop ask me such dum ff kn questions and switch your brain switch in the on position befor you aske me such dum crap.
He recond it works and i did not get so much dumb stuff asked after.
i was told this in my apprentice and ever since then i keep my brains switch in on position. i recon there seriously is a switch inside every ones brain.
Hope it was not offensive if it was then you have not found the on switch and have to find it still.

intrade, Aug 5, 8:42pm
i already have a idea why you could not reconnect the arm . i give you a hint pistons in engines wear not round but egg shaped from the motion of force from the crank shaft .
this should help you figure things out , like pushing it back togather makes no sense. when you dont know why it fell apart . it makes sense to me and it would just fall apart soon again .
the reason is in the above hint.

nakiguy2, Aug 5, 10:04pm
Jeez mate, no need to take it to heart. I only asked for some advice, not a lecture.
I am a busy man and live a long way out in the backblocks and have to do as much as I can for ourselves.
With my limited mechanical ability, I took the plastics under the windscreen off, got out my $5.99 led light and found that the arm cup or pivot crank were worn. Not knowing (through lack of experience) the extent of the wear, I thought that maybe some binding may have popped the joint apart, so I carefully tried a g-clamp to re-attach them, to no avail.
The next step was a phone call to the nearest Nissan dealer 40k's away. They quoted me $200+gst/freight etc for a new pivot/arm assembly and that was after a 10 day wait (ex Japan).
All I am asking for is a quick easy cheap fix that someone might want to share.
I have

intrade, Aug 5, 11:24pm
its quite hard to try and bring a point across since today every word you say is offensive and rasist and god knows what else to somone.
. you have to figure out why it fell out and how you can fix it. i have a fair idea why it fell out but fixing it depends on the mechanism like i would see if the other passange side joint is the same and swap em over so the whiper works on driver side , things like that thinking things thru before you even do it, thats how you can fix things
I made a aluminium fork bolted to the joint on my van years ago to hold the arm in the plastic cup connector. But what works on one system might not work on another. i had to figure things out my self it has not much to do with mechanical skills you get these by doing and thinking things thru. no one is born with it.

a.woodrow, Aug 6, 11:24am
Arm. The arms come with new nylon cups, they are what wear out

kazbanz, Aug 6, 8:44pm
nakiguy-Im getting two different mental images.
1)you simply cannot get the ball to go into the cup
2) the ball goes in the cup easily and just falls back out.

If its 1) then you need to look at how its put together -see if a different angle is needed or if you put it together in a different order.
If its 2) then you need a replacement "cup" or work out a way to retighten the existing cup.
keep in mind that it has to still pivot
Can you get some fuse wire thick tiewire around the cup andtighten the top a fraction?

nzdoug, Aug 7, 1:26am
jam some sandpaper and tighten.

kazbanz, Aug 7, 2:00am
Then in will pivot somewhere else not inside the cup

ozz1, Aug 8, 5:51am
sounds like you need the arm that goes between both wiper pivots. $40 can supply.

goron56, Oct 31, 4:32pm
If the above comments do not work simply change the steering wheel to the left hand side. lol