Nissan terrano diff

clothesline2011, Oct 17, 8:33pm
94 nissan terrano td27 ,hasnt been feeling quite right lil noise coming from back so jacked up to take a look an noticed i can no longer turn rear wheels independantly ,unless both sides are off ground then both wheels turn when u spin 1, am thinking its the diff locked,siezed?

supernova2, Oct 17, 9:28pm
Sounds normal to me if you have a Limited Slip Diff.
Have you checked the oil level? or changed it recently?

tweake, Oct 17, 9:32pm
probably got the normal diff oil in it instead of lsd oil.
give it an oil change and see if it improves.

btw it should be 'locked' with both wheels off the ground. but should be able to turn one wheel with the other on the ground.

clothesline2011, Oct 17, 9:40pm
yes locked with both wheels off ground but cannot spin 1 while other is on ground ,which is reason im suspect of it yep its lsd, doing oil change now, fair bit metal filings coming out

supernova2, Oct 17, 9:51pm
Can only spin 1 wheel if the driveshaft is free to turn so if its in park (auto) or a gear (manual) nothing will move with only 1 wheel off the ground.

clothesline2011, Oct 17, 9:53pm
yep made sure was in neutral lol

intrade, Oct 17, 10:26pm
sounds more like it has shat it self if you have metal filings ?
if i was you i would investigate further they are not knowen for strong gearboxs also so that would be nuked next if you keep driving on a broken diff

tweake, Oct 17, 10:29pm
depends on what the filings are exactly. they could be from the clutch pack. without the proper oil they can be damaged. if it looks like broken gear teeth then spider gear has broken and jammed.

rob_man, Oct 17, 11:44pm
They are a massively over engineered diff, the same as the Safari TD42 has.
I can't imagine the TD27 having enough grunt to break one under any circumstances.
Sounds like a maintenance issue.

tweake, Oct 18, 12:22am
afaik its same as front safari diff or same as the very early (MK?) safari/patrol rear diff .
its a h233 diff (or c200), afaik safari is an h260.

rob_man, Oct 18, 12:25am
I thought the 233 was a Safari diff, still a huge diff for that engine, more than nine inch. I wrecked one and sold the diff to a Safari owner, must have been for the front of his.

clothesline2011, Oct 18, 12:37am
drained and refilled oil took for drive then jacked up and still the same.? was small filings not overly alot of, looks like i may have to remove and inspect further

tweake, Oct 18, 12:38am
yeah really big.
i don't know the terranos that well but in the navaras the td27/qd32 had the h233 and then when the lot more powerfull zd30 came out they went to the smaller 8" c200 diff.

tweake, Jan 28, 8:08am
oops, correction.
looks like the safari had h233b and h260 in the rear diffs.
my mistake, thats what i get for not checking the manuals.