2009 Hyundai Getz auto 125,000ks

poohbear100, Nov 21, 8:23pm
Any thoughts on these cars? Want to down size from our 2001 Toyota Estima as its quite costly to run and with only one child being at school now seems pointless running a bigger car around.

Looking at the 7k mark so if you have other suggestions then please offer them up.

TIA

m16d, Nov 21, 9:16pm
Surely you are joking. The Hyundai will give years of trouble free motoring. The shit-tin will be lucky to make it home.

tamarillo, Nov 21, 10:58pm
Yes gutless, but if you've come from an estima I guess speed and driving pleasure aren't a priority. Solid good little cars. Maybe too little though, check it out carefully, it is a small car.

poppy62, Nov 22, 12:34am
Maybe you'll care to list the C3s you've owned or for that matter any Citroens you've personally owned. Friends of friends/mates Citroen ownership doesn't cut it. We've had 15 Citroens since the 70s and always get home no matter how far.

beachy, Nov 22, 1:05am
Any Hyundai is a risky buy when they get older. We had many at work but most developed problems before other makes below
Try a Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Honda first.
I would suggest.
Mazda 2 NZ new 4 speed auto version best (Demio if import)
Nissan Note good all round small car
Toyota Yaris, Vitz, 1st, spacio etc any recent model
Honda Jazz - only recent model as older ones had leaks and trans issues

kazbanz, Nov 22, 2:32am
poohbear the 1300cc petrol ones aren't super performance vehicles but seem to be almost up there with the jap stuff.
For your 7k budget though I'd suggest a 2007 old shape demio. (02-07)
Or possibly something like a Toyota Raum or Opa.

robotnik, Nov 22, 4:54am
The 2002 to 2007 DY Mazda Demio has a poor ACC crash rating. The lowest band, band 1. Best to avoid if you want a safe vehicle.

kevymtnz, Nov 22, 5:17am
the 1500cc manual will do 135kph in 3rd
and pretty good on the pocket fuel wise

poohbear100, Nov 23, 4:17am
Thanks for the input, took a 2004 honda fit with 50,000k's on the clock and it was what we have been looking size wise. Got out of the driveway and took off and at about 20k's a huge shudder went through the car, thought maybe it was me so stop on side of the road and tried several times more and the same thing happened. Took back to dealer and he swears it wasnt doing that earlier in the day.

Can anyone tell me what a suzuki liana is like?

kazbanz, Nov 23, 4:24am
b poohbear-THAT is why I never suggest Honda Fit Auto's
No matter what the dealer told you the gearbox in that car is on its way out.$2000 to fix.

tamarillo, Sep 21, 2:18am
As Kaz says the gearbox is a weak point on them, as is the nissans CVT.
Liana is gutless and very mediocre to drive, but has good reliability and good size so worth checking out. Has conventional auto, 4 speed I think so not great on long trip.
If you can find a second generation 2007 on NZ new jazz (NZ name of fit) it should have a conventional automatic which is fine. Check with seller as Honda did chop and change autos and it's complicated as to which gearbox they have.