Toyota Yaris or Nissan Tiida Latio

grouch, Oct 22, 9:30pm
Which of these would be the choice? Am in my 60's dont go too far but when I do want something that is reliable and not gutless without costing an arm and a leg to put petrol in. Dont want anything too small as I live 45 mins out of town and there are hills to negotiate. Dont want a shopping basket as I dont think it would handle the travelling. Dont want anything that is too expensive either. I dont change my vehicle too often. I have a Primera 1997 and that has never given any trouble. I have had it for about 15 years. The car has to live outside as I dont have a garage so thats why I dont want anything too expensive. Do the higher K's matter too much? My Primera has done over 200.

alister1, Oct 22, 9:38pm
Honda Jazz JIF

toyboy3, Oct 22, 9:44pm
Choose the one that is easiest to get in or out of

robotnik, Oct 22, 10:06pm
The Yaris hatchback is a shopping basket, and might get tedious on the open road. The sedan Yaris sometimes called the Platz or Belta is a slightly larger car, typically with a larger engine and might be better. However, I'd go with the Tiida. They have nice wide comfy seats, as wide as in the larger Maxima. Tiidas also have light electrically assisted power steering, which makes them less tiring for oldsters to drive.

tamarillo, Oct 22, 10:21pm
Trouble is tiida is cheaply made with a suspect CVT gearbox. Might be risky asking it to do high miles.
Yes Yaris is small shopper, bloody awful on open road, did Auckland to Hamilton in rental and never again, one size bigger makes much better open road car.
Mazda 3, Ford Focus size much better.

kazbanz, Oct 22, 11:10pm
Grouch--the tiida latio and the Toyota PLATZ are both about the same size.
The reason I state the difference is that the Toyota Yaris is generally considered to be a small hatchback and IMO less than ideal for YOUR use.
My suggestion to you in all honesty is actually NEITHER yarris of tiida latio.
Given price is a concideration my suggestions would be.
1)2001-2005 Nissan Sylphy or nz new called Pulsar --specifically the 1800cc version.
2)Toyota 1800cc 2001-2005 Notice im not being specific. They are variations on the Corolla engine/drive train but all are really reliable.
So- Corolla,Alex.runx,feilder.Opa,-
premio are all mechanically the same car.
3)Toyota Platz 1500cc-Test drive to see how it goes for grunt. recommended as it has mid size car comfort to drive.

mainlander05, Oct 22, 11:28pm
Kaz,isn't the sylphy the bluebird?a tad bigger than the pulsar.

jmma, Oct 22, 11:44pm

richardmayes, Oct 23, 12:06am
Definitely the Yaris, 1500cc manual if at all possible.

As a total generalisation, if you are not ideologically wedded to big engines and big power, small Toyotas are much better driver's cars than you might think.

Tiida Latio is a good functional town car for people who aren't really interested in driving, and just need to fit a lot of kids and groceries into a small wheelbase. But performance and handling were CLEARLY the last things on the mind of whoever designed that car!

kazbanz, Oct 23, 12:44am
Nope--not 2001-2005 --earlier models yes

mainlander05, Oct 23, 8:25am
Disagree.the sylphy is the e bluebird platform.larger than the pulsar.although later models of the pulsar got bigger the sylphy has the 1.8 and 2.0 engines whereas the pulsar has the 1.5 and the 1.8 with the triple sss having the 2.0.
Pity the Turbo wasn't still an option.
Unless you know of a Turbo model now available?

a.woodrow, Oct 23, 10:47am
Nope despite the name it is not at all based on a bluebird. They are essentially rebadged pulsars

kazbanz, Jan 9, 10:27am
We are really argueing semantics dude.
Its NOT on the same platform as the sunny which was the rental companies backbone for ages. the OLD puldar and the sunny have traditionally shared the same platform. (sunny.pulsar,lucino)
When the Bluebird sylphy was released onto the Jap market in 2000 it was released with 3 engines/drivetrains,1500 manual/Auto -motor from the sunny, 1800 auto (rare manual) and 2000cc which was neo engine with CVT transmission
for some reason the NZ Nissan management called those same cars Pulsar