Honda automatic transmission fluid

zak1998, Dec 30, 5:37am
Does anyone know if its the same as Dexron iii as sold in auto stores? The honda auto box is NOT a CVT. if not the same can it be used to top up to box

phillip.weston, Dec 30, 5:38am
what year and model Honda?

zak1998, Dec 30, 5:40am
2000 year and v6 honda odyssey

phillip.weston, Dec 30, 5:41am
Castrol reports TQ95 is specified while Valvoline specifies Dexron III.

phillip.weston, Dec 30, 5:42am
if just topping up I would use the Dexron III.

a.woodrow, Dec 30, 5:55am
No it's not the same. It has different friction modifiers in it and if you put Dex III in it you will end up with trans issues. You should use genuine Honda ATF

zak1998, Dec 30, 6:11am
even just a little top up

franc123, Dec 30, 6:15am
Its best not to use plain Dex3 in those in any quantity at all, TQ95 is indeed a compatible product with Honda fluid but Dex3 is not. Some of the newer formulations such as Valvoline Maxlife are intended to cover both specifications, it has effectively replaced the TQ95 fluid.

a.woodrow, Dec 30, 6:16am
You can top it up and it will work, but you should change it out and put genuine fluid in as soon as you can. Next question is why is it low on fluid?

intrade, Dec 30, 6:19am
honda all have special trans fluid as far as i know. dextron is definetly not a special trans fluid.
france 123 i would not trust that. "intended to cover both specifications"
if you whatch about coolant from professionals video whom test coolant they tell what a load of bull it all is . intended means it dont if you read english propperly it was only there intention so you could use it it dont actuarly meets specs or is tested to be compatible is what this word means.

franc123, Dec 30, 6:35am
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

There's the data sheet, if you want to argue with Valvoline chemists, go ahead. Some online forums actually rate Maxlife as a better alternative to the now obsolete Honda ATF-Z1 which no doubt was the factory fill on the vehicle in question, but that's anecdotal of course.

panicky, Dec 30, 6:50am
In a 4 speed, TQ95 or maxlife atf will be fine. If a 5 speed the fluid is DW-1 spec, although I believe the Avancier was the only V6 to have this box in year 2000

intrade, Dec 30, 6:53am
you did not mention this you said intended and thats what i reply to if you read my post again

intrade, Dec 30, 6:55am
this is another word i dont like
Suitable!for!use!
what i like to see is it meets or exeeds vw. blabla mercedes blabla specifications

intrade, Dec 30, 6:57am
if honda honer the factory warranty if you use that stuff then it can be used if honda factory say warranty void then its not to be used end of story.

intrade, Dec 30, 7:27am
another good one i just remembered while i was in the shower.
You know factory scantools are go towards j25-34 now drewtech cardaq-plus whom i be purchasing soon . it wont work on honda or hiundai i did not hear it 100% the snapon j25-34 works because it got validated and the cardaq not.
Now the snapon is the cardaq made by drewtech. snapon just added the validation firmware . same tool same everything and one wont work.
it is a 2 sided sword of course with everything the more one knows the better desition one can make with accumulated know-how

a.woodrow, Dec 30, 7:46am
I'm just going to say it once more then I'll leave it alone :) You should use the correct Honda ATF to prevent transmission issues. It's easy for people to say you can use this or that fluid, but they aren't going to pony up their $$$ when you have a dud transmission.

It comes in a 3L pack which is enough for a drain and refill. (you can also get a 1L for topup if needed)

franc123, Dec 30, 8:06am
I'll say THIS once, I'll bet two bumpy downshifts and a delayed crunchy Hondamatic reverse engagement that Honda wouldn't even manufacture the frigging oil, one of the leading lubricant manufacturers do. and it will be sold under an aftermarket brand.

zak1998, Dec 30, 8:28am
It's a 5 speed

supernova2, Dec 30, 9:06am
Fuchs Atf 4400

intrade, Apr 13, 1:23am
possibly but how will we find out whats fact and what is fiction.
i think i posted this vid about cooling system from gates once on here if one has not seen it do wotch it. it shows how compatible coolants are wrong coolants and not to be used and a ton of other tips and tricks training is made by gates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5BqwXWu-aM