What car/SUV should we buy?

Page 1 / 2
luteba, Dec 16, 8:05am
I thought I'd ask here in case there were some options we hadn't considered.

Our children are getting bigger and teenagery and are a bit squished in the back of our Ford Fiesta, so we're looking at upsizing.

We drive up to my old bach in the Coromandel 1-2 times per year, which includes a 3.5km rough gravel road at the very end, but that's the only vaguely off-road work that will be required - and it's more the ground clearance that matters there than 4WD or AWD. We've hired a 4x4 for the trip a couple of times, and could continue to do so if it made financial sense.

Otherwise it's shopping trips round Wellington, school pickups and drop-offs, and visits to family in Palmerston North. We don't commute to work.

We're looking for something newer than 2012, not too rough on the kms, for under $35K, with less than 8.0L/km (I know that's not what they actually use, but it's useful for comparison).

Also, I am aesthetically opposed to sedans.

What would you recommend? At the moment we're considering:
- Skoda Yeti (naff shape)
- Ford Kuga (a bit thirsty)
- Nissan Qashqai (my husband thinks the interior is naff)
- Mazda CX-5 (maybe a bit big? Not really that much bigger than the Kuga though)

I could tell you the extremely long list of everything we've ruled out for petrol consumption, too big, too small, or not enough ground clearance, but I'll skip that and just ask for suggestions!

TIA.
-

tamarillo, Dec 16, 8:11am
If there was a petrol one anywhere a Skoda Octavian scout maybe. Bit of extra ground clearance but more space than yeti which is great by the way.
Of others Mazda CX-5 is best IMO.
But, this money gets you into a new Mazda cx3 which by all accounts is very nearly as roomy inside as the cx5. It is rated very highly and will be very efficient. And brand new. Worth trying one.

therafter1, Dec 16, 8:15am
I would upsize to a NZ new medium sedan, Maz3, Maz6, Corolla, Camry et el and for twice a year continue to hire an SUV of some description, probably all round cheaper in the long run once you factor in maintenance, licencing etc.

monaro17, Dec 16, 8:20am
Also compare Hyundai ix35 and Kia Sportage.

mals69, Dec 16, 8:38am
Plenty in the Nissan range to fit the bill - I'd go Nissan as always
had good run out of them.
Think best thing to do is to get round dealerships and do test drives, see
what you like driving the most, the quality of finish etc - found how things
look on the net etc different in reality.
We test drove a holden cruze - poor build quality - bought nissan
pulsar. Looked good online the cruze.

luteba, Dec 16, 9:13am
Thanks, as far as I could see they both failed the <8.0 L/100km (or <7.0 L/100km for diesel).

Thanks to others - I'll have a look at the suggestions.

ETA: Unfortunately it looks like the CX-3 isn't great for ground clearance - only 155mm where other models are all 180mm+

pandai, Dec 16, 9:20am
That money almost gets you into a new base-model Honda CRV. Check out the back seats, they're decently sized.

morrisjvan, Dec 16, 10:39am
Would you really base your full-time car choice ,on a trip you only do twice a year ?!

laurelanne, Dec 16, 5:06pm
The beauty of being open minded about cars means you can drive many different models and appreciate the features that appeal to you. I would suggest you drive a Subaru XV.

stevo2, Dec 16, 5:08pm
Suzuki S-Cross Ltd. All the bells 'n whistles like satnav, camera, etc. Heaps of room, Good ground clearance for your rough road (& available with 4wd), 5.8 lt/100km and about $30k brand new.
http://www.suzuki.co.nz/automotive/s-cross/
Mrs Stevo loves hers.

tony9, Dec 16, 7:16pm
He is not, and is open to continuing to hire a 4wd for those trips.

pestri, Dec 16, 7:36pm
We have recently purchased a new Mitsubishi Outlander for about $36k on the road. It has a 5/5 guarantee, heaps of space 4wd on demand etc, but best of all its more economical than our previous 1800 L 2wd. Motorway cruising 5.9l/100 Auckland to Te Kuiti about 6.2 l/100 Te Kuiti to Taranaki 6.7 L/100 (hills)

tamarillo, Dec 16, 8:32pm
There is a new Suzuki vitara that is very different from old one. Now a modern softroader with optional 4wd. It displaces the s-cross which becomes their mid sized hatch.
Good first reports on it, meets efficiency criteria.
Plus it uses a modern 6 speed auto rather than a cvt as some of these choices do. You might be ok with cvt but do a decent test drive first as you might not like it.

gram, Dec 16, 8:35pm
Yeti was Car of the Year for a reason. Quite a few reviewers liked it, and surprisingly so did J. Clarkson.

tamarillo, Dec 16, 8:39pm
And from the very left of the field, just in case there's a bit of the French in the families motoring history, Citroen cactus. Very very light so very efficient but still OK despite smaller engines. Practical, and IMO wonderful. Probably seen a few round Wellington already, capital dwellers seem more open.
Maybe not high enough.

poppy62, Dec 16, 9:19pm
Yeah ,yeah. I have read it. "A bad workman always blames his tools". So you were unlucky the other millions of PSA owners have a different point of view.

brapbrap8, Dec 16, 9:21pm
How rough is the gravel road really?
I have lived on gravel roads most of my life and often just had normal sedans, hatchbacks or wagons without issue.

If you didn't like the look of the Skoda Yeti, you could look at the Skoda Octavia wagon, they are nice cars.

luteba, Dec 17, 1:08am
Trust me, it's a rough gravel road, maintained only by residents using rough local quarry gravel ( well, more like small rocks which we break up as best we can), and a very old tractor.

billyfieldman, Dec 17, 2:19am
Volvo XC90 has plenty of space and one of the safest cars.

vtecintegra, Dec 17, 2:32am
It's also enormous (remember OP said they thought the CX-5 was already a bit on the large side) and can't come close to that sort of fuel economy

pestri, Dec 17, 2:42am
Really can't figure why anybody would want to spend $31k on a second hand vehicle when one could buy a brand new SUV, say a Mitsubishi ASX for just a little more, with all the new car guarantees etc.

tamarillo, Dec 17, 2:44am
A VW Tiguan petrol would work. I say petrol as diesel is not good choice right now with controversy around its emissions, but VW make great petrols.

tamarillo, Dec 17, 2:46am
Surely that's their choice and we are simply chucking out options?
Could be argued that some cars are simply worth more than an ASX.

goodsound, Dec 17, 3:11am
1. vw tiguan - good drive, excellent build, prices should be falling !
2. yeti - funky looking but great to drive
3. cx5 - fav of the moment, best of the small jap suvs

vtecintegra, Dec 17, 3:53am
Those are all good vehicles but won't go anywhere a normal car won't (which is much of what makes them good vehicles in the first place)