Replacing 2001 camry 2.2 rear main seal

reggienz, Feb 9, 2:57am
Roughly how much do you think it would cost for labour. Not sure if car is worth doing it on, Done 370K

mechnificent, Feb 9, 3:04am
I'd imagine that being a toyota it would be possible to do the seal without removing the sump or bearing cap, so I'd take the trans out and it would take about four hours to change the seal and clutch if that was a timely thing to do. Probably less hours even. Toyotas are good to work on.

mechnificent, Feb 9, 3:06am
Could you put it off till a clutch job ? Oil is relatively cheap. though messy.

reggienz, Feb 9, 3:07am
Sorry, forgot to mention its an auto

mechnificent, Feb 9, 3:15am
Ok, forget the clutch job. I'd still pull the trans, and it would still take about the same four hours. I'm guessing sight unseen.

lugee, Feb 9, 4:59am
You "could" try some of that oil seal stop leak on it. Might just stop/slow the leak, since you don't seem to care too much about the car (fair enough with 370k I guess). It allegedly works by making the rubber seals swell, and shouldn't do anything bad.

intrade, Feb 9, 5:03am
in the manual i never removed the trans to do the clutch.
this means i did remove it but slide it to one side so i had just enogh room to unbolt clutch and flywheel , could be similar fr automatic as the subframe looks like a nightmare to remove time wise with everything attached to its frame

mechnificent, Jun 28, 3:06am
That might be a pragmatic solution Lugee.

I wouldn't recommend to one of my customers that we pulled it apart just to fix an oil seal on al old car. not unless it was real bad. I'd wait till a clutch job, or keep topping it up until something more serious needed doing. Oil is cheap. Very cheap these days.