Nissan terrano 99 3.0 turbo diesel

casper35, Jul 6, 5:06am
Are they any good. There seems to be a lot of them about. Am interested in getting one.

franc123, Jul 6, 5:16am
No, the early ZD30 version was a disaster, you are better off with the older QD32 that was in the previous version. They're not as quick on the road but in every other way they are far more reliable long term.

casper35, Jul 6, 5:30am
What was wrong with the ZD30 version.

tweake, Jul 6, 5:57am
nick named the grenade for a reason.
typically blew holes through piston and/or crack heads.

later ones seamed less prone to it.

andy61, Jul 6, 5:58am
They often ran lean causing melted pistons, many people are changing the ZD30 engine with the TD27 or QD32.

casper35, Jul 6, 6:05am
How come there is so many around with 200,000 ks on them and still going ok.

pdc1, Jul 6, 6:31am
re #5 How can a lean running diesel melt pistons?

monaro17, Jul 6, 6:58am
I don't mean to sound abrupt but you have been told they are no good. of course you will find some around with higher km but they are rubbish. I owned a first gen 2.7 then a second gen 3.2 and then the later zd30. The only things that the zd30 has over the qd32 is that it is a little quieter, a touch more powerful, and a little more economical. However it is a time bomb. Mine had very very low kms but had the signs of trouble. I have since seen It I advertised with a re built engine costing $8000. Even Nissan themselves admitted they were not the best.

do not touch a 3.0L. Ask any diesel mechanic and I guarantee they will tell you to avoid them. Go for a 3.2 diesel- any car savvy person will tell you the qd32eti is near on indestructible the first zd30ddti Is appallingly bad

xs1100, Jul 6, 8:07am
talk to the wreckers and ask if they have a good one especially the year your looking at theres actually 2 models a early one up until 2002 and then a later one the later ones fine the early ones a handgrenade

xs1100, Jul 6, 8:07am
do a google search zd30 motors

doglover2003, Jul 6, 7:25pm
Just buy a TD27 - old skool rattling reliability :)

tweake, Jul 6, 9:55pm
diesels run lean, you can't run them to lean. to rich is the problem for diesels.

the zd30 has quite a few problems. big part i think is the piston and/or rings on the earlier ones.
but even on the later one the big problem is that its a MAF only setup.
it controls the turbo which dictates the egr. maf gets dirty or intercooler leaks, it throws the turbo control out which stuffs up the egr and the whole lot is a vicious circle ending with very hot pistons and hence holes or cracked heads.
also injection pump has a habit of scoring the timing control piston and will run retarded injection timing causing increase in piston temps.

moparpete, Jul 6, 10:27pm
Just had my injector pump replaced on my 99 Terrano. Expensive to say the least. Most expensive part was the ECU on the injector pump as well as replacing main computer. The original not compatible with new injector ECU. Did a compression test on engine before replacing injector pump and all was even across all cylinders 390psi. The engine itself is in in good nick. I have a Oil catch can installed ( A must for ZD30s ) as well as a boost gauge as these engines tend to over boost. Serviced regularly at 10k with good quality oil 10w-40 semi synthetic. Also clean the MAF sensor at each 10000kms interval with CRC sensor cleaner, don`t use contact cleaner or any other shit. Just recently done a trip to Palmerston North and back 780kms on one tank. The car has done 242000kms and its running strong. I like the car, it`s comfortable and the handles really well. I`ve owned this car for 11 years and replaced MAF sensor three times plus regular servicing. It has been pretty reliable up until the injector pump shit itself, but according to diesel mechanic, they can go on any diesel.

mrcat1, Jul 7, 1:22am
There is 2 versions of the zd30ddti in the Navara, the series 1 version was up to about June 2005 and from memory they had a blue dash face, then the series 2 had a white dash face, it was the series 1 versions that had issues with the MAF sensor that saw engines have melt downs, the series 2 sensor was a retrofit onto the series 1 engines if it had issues from dirty blocking up the sensor then giving the pump faulty readings.
I had a series 2 version that basically towed its whole life with me, still had the original battery, brakes, clutch at 180,000km/ 7 years old when I sold it and it was still going strong.
My current Navara has a 3 litre diesel in it and it is very quick, so don't knock all 3 litre engines, its specific to only certain models.

tweake, Jul 7, 1:37am
incorrect.

there is a series 1 D22 but that had the TD27 and QD32 diesels and went to 2000/2001. then series 2 came out with the ZD30 and went to 2006. no production in 2007 due to change in factory and came out with series 3 in 2008 which is almost the same but with YD25.

there has never been a maf sensor with narvara ZD30's.
only the patrol and terrano version had maf sensors.

mrcat1, Jul 7, 1:54am
There was 2 versions of the ZD30 in the D22 as well as other engine versions, and I was meaning the boost sensor rather than a MAF, although the largest out put ZD30 did have a MAF sensor as well.
Maybe you should read your own post first before you comment again?

"the zd30 has quite a few problems. big part i think is the piston and/or rings on the earlier ones.
but even on the later one the big problem is that its a MAF only setup.
it controls the turbo which dictates the egr. maf gets dirty or intercooler leaks, it throws the turbo control out which stuffs up the egr and the whole lot is a vicious circle ending with very hot pistons and hence holes or cracked heads.
also injection pump has a habit of scoring the timing control piston and will run retarded injection timing causing increase in piston temps.

tweake (26 26 positive feedback) 9:55 am, Mon 6 Jul #12"

tweake, Jul 7, 2:28am
i havn't seen any 1st/2nd version of the zd30. havn't seen any details in the service manuals. got any details on what was changed?

the largest output ZD30 certainly does have MAF, its just not in the navara.

trying to claim my previous post about the terrano version of the ZD30 as navara info is fairly lame.
what i posted is correct, terrano and patrol ZD30 are MAF only as the MAP is only rudimentary overboost warning. all fueling, timing, turbo and egr control is done via MAF.

mrcat1, Jul 7, 6:27am
Go back and read my post properly, all the information is there.

tweake, Mar 14, 12:26am
you don't know what your talking about.