The BEST granny car for a non granny

cow_power, Oct 4, 7:19pm
So we own a Honda Fit - going to sell soon, only 50,000 on the clock but it's too small for us. So we're buying a van. My partner now wants a smaller, cheaper, more economical runabout. We've been looking at old starlets - easy to pimp! - VW polos (as they are flooding the market) and the Ford Ka. If anyone has any advice to impart on any model I've mentioned, or any more worth mentioning, please help us out! We want to keep the price under 3k as the Fit will get around 5-6k and we need spare money for emergencies.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from those wgo have owned these vehicles. Also to note we have a three year old and a medium sized dog to take up the back seats so accessability is also key - the Ka is only 2door but easy to get stuff in and out of the back according to my partner who has owned two.

Looking forward to your replies!

len_f, Oct 4, 7:36pm
vw polo get the electrics checked out very carefully could that be why there are so many on the market

motorboy2011, Oct 4, 8:35pm
I'd just keep the fit as the 2nd car.

msigg, Oct 4, 9:30pm
As above no good going from a fit to a polo, same size, resale of the polo will shock you.

rpvr, Oct 5, 2:55am
Starlets are super reliable, we have had two. My partner had one which she drove for several years and sold when it reached 250,000k, with no problems. Even the transmission was never flushed, I just drained it and refilled every second oil change (20,000k). I also had one which had a very hard life as a road inspection vehicle, which involved lots of low speed driving, This one also was still driving well at 280,000k, but I did have to replace both CVs during the time I had it, due to all the low speed turning. Had a moderate main seal leak after about 260,000k but I just topped it up and kept going. Incredibly tough little cars.

tamarillo, Oct 5, 4:29am
Ford Ka. Incredibly simple drive chain inc an ancient Kent motor that's so cheap and easy to work on. And it doesn't look exactly like all the other dross on the roads. Agile handlers too.

seadubya, Oct 5, 4:31am
Honda Fit would be a good choice if it is low mileage and well maintained, oh, you've already got an ideal non-granny grannies car. Better the devil you know.

tgray, Mar 25, 2:00am
I would rather an old Starlet than a Polo or Ford Ka, especially when it comes to reliability.