Ford Focus 2000

frank1, Oct 23, 1:03am
Any pro's cons for these cars,it's a 2l Zetec motor.

brapbrap8, Oct 23, 2:21am
They drive nice but suffer from typical Ford cheap build quality.
My one leaked badly, the electrics were rubbish and nothing worked reliably.
Motor kept blowing coil packs too.

I think they will be even worse now being 15 years old.

franc123, Oct 23, 2:43am
Made worse by the fact that one that old will be a used import, go 2003 up NZ new and make sure its got a good service history.

zetec, Oct 23, 4:43am
Yep, franc is right buy NZ new. The post facelift cars look better too with the front indicators in the headlights and tidier bumpers. Brap you must have had a Monday car, my 2004 1.6 has done almost 200km and has had no problems at all - apart from normal servicing its had a rear wheel bearing and O2 sensor replaced, that's it. Its been well maintained and garaged all its life though.

frank1, Oct 23, 6:20am
OK,thanks guys,this one had a real vibration on start up,maybe engine mount or AFM,but think I will steer clear anyway.

tamarillo, Oct 23, 6:40am
Pity someone had bad experience but normally focus is a goodun, dependable mechanics and good build. They're are damn good drive with excellent steering and ride/handling compromise that japs just cannot match.

craigsmith, Oct 23, 2:46pm
My gf has a 2003 MkI which was abused by previous owner by all accounts, but has been pretty reliable since. White leather interior with full Ghia upgrades = can't imagine a nicer car in its class. Puts any overpriced Toyjappa to shame.

Just replaced a few PCV components and the rocker cover gasket, and the windscreen cowl needed replacing as it was leaking, but that's about the only issues we've had in ~2 yrs.

With any non-Jap car that old you would want to check service history, basic things like fluids. If it's been serviced by cheap garages then it probably has had all the wrong fluids in it most of its life, e.g. even the old Zetecs want 5w30 or 5w20, correct power steering fluid is a weird Ford spec and is expensive to get here, fuel requires 95 octane, etc.

As to the Zetec. You will need to specify whether it is SOHC or DOHC as the Zetecs were done in both and then research accordingly. They're not terrible. But it is the old 90's engine so you are really getting a 20-25 year old power source that's not going to improve with age. Maybe better to go with a Mondeo in that year range, with the newer (brand new at the time) Duratec motors, which have numerous advantages, e.g. chain drive. Or go up to the Mk2 Focus (2004+) where you can get the same 1.8 or 2.0 Duratecs. Only a few years newer car but a decade+ more modern mechanics. Saving just one cambelt change could pay the difference.

johnn, Jan 9, 5:01pm
2007 work car leaks badly too, its a common fault & Ford have said 10 hours ($1000) plus to fix it, I had a futura which was nothing but trouble electrically & brake wise, I would never buy another ford