Toyota corolla station wagon. Strange noises!

express, Jan 14, 7:46pm
My corolla was sitting for 2 years, and was driving well after I got it going again, but last night with two people in the back every bump in the road caused a severe thud from the back wheel area, first on one side then the other. The springs have not been lowered or anything. Any ideas whats happened? Thanks.

bumfacingdown, Jan 14, 7:47pm
Shocks?

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 8:02pm
Shocks.

intrade, Jan 14, 8:24pm
no shocks no more do bounce test.
here a video i just found explaining how it works and why a bounce test wont always conclude a faulty shock.
In your case i would say you shock are broken in one direction , i had this on a nissan sentra passed a wof and was banging like hell in to the car body when driven over even a small tree twig or pot hole. This was caused by the shock being defective in the compress direction only and that is what i think yours will be.
this is harder to detect because there will be resistence in 1 direction and not the other.
i also changed all 4 shocks for almost a grand on my mercedes mb140 as its shocks where faulty in absorbing the small bumps and i know it drives like on rails over corrugated gravel roads if the shocks are fine, was banging and bashing in to the body from every small bump . after it was also parked up for 1 year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiW0ISi8N-w

kazbanz, Jan 28, 5:23pm
Im NOT saying the two posters above aren't correct but a couple of alternative options are
1) shock BUSHES have worn/gone soft -allowing movement in the shock mounts.
2)Sway bar bushes under the car have worn allowing the sway bar to thump around.